Car drives down bike lane...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Car drives down bike lane...

Vancouver driver in separated bike lane almost right-hooks cyclist - British Columbia - CBC News

...and yeah. Derp. Personally I would have stayed back after seeing how this person is driving, like the rider shooting this did; however, good save!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    rip her out of the car and beat her with a u-lock

mtbr member
    Who designed that bike lane? Holy moly engineering failure. A diamond lane (bus or HOV) that turns into a bike lane with vague and confusing signage. Then allowing right turns across a lane of traffic is bad design and an invitation for collisions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    rip her out of the car and beat her with a u-lock
    Because that's totally not an overreaction, nor is it a good way to get run over.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Who designed that bike lane? Holy moly engineering failure. A diamond lane (bus or HOV) that turns into a bike lane with vague and confusing signage. Then allowing right turns across a lane of traffic is bad design and an invitation for collisions.
    I watched the video a few times, and I have to agree, very confusing.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Yeah, agreed. I couldn't help but think there really was nothing stopping cars or anyone else from driving in that lane, so faulting the driver there really isn't worth it. Then for the right turn, the guy recording video was progressing pretty wisely through that area - at a cautious pace. The other one hauling a$$ who nearly got hit was no more or less at fault than the driver for the abrupt right turn.

That area would not be my favorite place to ride, by any stretch.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, it is poorly designed. I don't know why there is not at least a flexible bollard there. I'm guessing there will be one soon lol. Many of the other routes like this have right turns across the bike lane prohibited...not that it stops drivers from doing what they want anyways. They also plant shrubs on top of the dividers that restrict visibility for both cyclists and drivers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Seems like a right of way issue/lane change. Yeah the car was ahead of the cyclist. Where I live there are some intersections with bike lanes that state "Motorist yield to cyclist" on some right hand exits. I think as cycling gets more popular municipalities are going to have to reexamine right of way. If you consider the cycle lane like a regular car lane the car was in the wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    Seems like a right of way issue/lane change. Yeah the car was ahead of the cyclist. Where I live there are some intersections with bike lanes that state "Motorist yield to cyclist" on some right hand exits. I think as cycling gets more popular municipalities are going to have to reexamine right of way. If you consider the cycle lane like a regular car lane the car was in the wrong.
    There is a sign prior to the intersection that instructs drivers turning right to yield to cyclists in the bike lane.

mtbr member
    Which is terrible road design. Right hand turning traffic should turn from the right most lane closest to the curb. Putting a bike lane with obstructed view along the curb and allowing right turns from the left of a through lane begs for this type of collision.

Poorly designed bicycle infrastructure is, at least, as dangerous than no infrastructure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Pretty street design.....very poor safety design.....

I know riders like to ride fast, but not all drivers are the same safety minded individuals. Therefore, riders have to be that much more careful to avoid careless/mindless drivers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbvan View Post
    There is a sign prior to the intersection that instructs drivers turning right to yield to cyclists in the bike lane.
    *** And drivers always stop for stop signs, slow for yields, don't run red lights. Also someone who missed the bike lane markings cannot be counted among the more attentive of drivers. And a cyclist there needs to be watching for right hooks more than most as drivers can't easily see the cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tan&Green View Post
    Pretty street design.....very poor safety design.....

I know riders like to ride fast, but not all drivers are the same safety minded individuals. Therefore, riders have to be that much more careful to avoid careless/mindless drivers.
    *** Yes. That is not a section for a hell bent for leather speed demons. Nice way to become a torpedo into the side of a cab or run over by a truck.

*** So it was a nice save by the cyclist, but with no room for error without bodily injury or death, he was just lucky to have good reflexes.