Cant sit to pedal, recommend a bike with comfy geometry- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cant sit to pedal, recommend a bike with comfy geometry

I need help finding a fast city bike with a strong wheel set. My leg is wrecked and now need to pedal standing up, i only sit to rest. I am most comfortable on a bike with a long top tube which makes pedaling standing more comfortable. With a shorter tube im way over the handle bars and way to much weight on the front. Is there a fast city bike with a slack geometry thats still pedal efficient? Currently i have a Surly 1x1 (19inch frame) with a nexus hub and find it to cramped. Any ideas?
    Oh ya, im a big guy (275lb) and need strong rims.
    It's 10 o'clock, do you know where your mom's is at?

~Disc~Golf~
    sorry I'm of no help to you, but how is standing better for your leg?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    better for my leg because im able to pedal. my knee is permanently locked at less than a 90 degree angle. standing and pedaling is no prob, sitting and adding the extra (over 90 degree) angle is impossible.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I do a lot of standing pedalling....Just finished 400 km.

Anyway no frame recommendations...

But do get a bike with gears, very tall gears, that reduces the number of pedal strokes and the cadence required...and that makes it much easier to do...

I ride around 46/13 to 46/11 I would like 52/11 top gear.

With gearing that high it is very nice to have a lower gear for any hills etc.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The 1x1's a pretty short bike, so another brand's 19" might fit you fine. Check out Gary Fisher in particular - they run long. I think Giant has that reputation as well.

It sounds like you do have some flexibility in your knee, just not the range of motion you might like? Can you raise your saddle more without it stretching your leg too far? Nobody should be folding their leg to less than a 90 degree angle anyway, if they value their knees.

You might also consider a crankset with shorter arms. Leonard Zinn sells very long and very short-armed cranks through his web site. It would take some time, but might let you get back to riding in the saddle.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Bike Dork
    A pedal forward design or recumbent is your best bet. No they don't look sleek and may seem weird at first, but if you want cycling to be in your future it's the way to go. If you won't do that look for a traditional English roadster (sit-up-and-beg) like the Pashley, or an old used Raleigh. These are all at least as "fast" as your 1x1. I worked with a few folks with fused-joint mobility issues and really the first things I listed are your best bet. Good luck.

mtbr member
    thanks for the reply. i will look into these weird machines.

Moderator Moderator
    You may want to see if you have an adaptive sports group in your area, like this one: http://www.vermontadaptive.org/index.php

Their slogan is "sports for every body" and they get people skiing, sailing, biking, climbing etc. that need different equipment &/or assistance.

Members who have read this thread: 0