Cannondale Quick Carbon capable for mild off road?- Mtbr.com
    cde
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Cannondale Quick Carbon capable for mild off road?

Hi all, first time in the commuting forum and pretty much a newbie in road riding or anything with bigger wheels than 26inch.

Lately I really want to get a hybird / commute bike for some road training and have my eyes set on the Cannondale Quick Carbon 2 (see picture). However to afford it, I would have to sell my Cannondale F3 hardtail.

While I still have a FS bike for serious off road riding, just wondering how much (if any) off road stuff the Quick Carbon can handle with a tyre change? If so how much preformance in off road will I miss compare to the hardtail?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Quick Carbon capable for mild off road?-sourceimage.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    urban bikes are usually good for dirt paths, grass riding, not much past that.
    doesn't mean you CAN'T, but I doubt you'll be able to slot anything with real knobs in there.
    i find cdale's lack of any specifications on their website really annoying.
    frame and fork are carbon and the wheels are dtswiss, that's all they mention.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    I had a similar bike to that as my commuter/everyday bike (Trek 7.5FX) and while good on the road, it suffered on anything more than a gravel road. The wheels are not built for off road and it is really stiff. I decided i wanted my in-between bike (I have a road and FS MTB) to be a Gary Fisher (Trek) Utopia. basically a 29er hard tail with a 63mm travel fork and disc brakes and smaller tires. I installed some michelin 700x35 cross tires that are mostly smooth but have some cornering grip.

There are obvious trade offs, as one is better for the road and the other more suited to off-road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Why not take a look at the Bad Boy? It is essentially an F3 with a road wheelset, A guy that I work has one of these and uses it for road riding, but also has a set of 26" mountain wheels that he can switch out.

...Can you just get a road wheelset for your F3? Get a set of 29er disc wheels and put some 700x28's or 32's on there, lock out the fork... and away you go!

FWIW, I had a Quick 4, and wouldn't trust off-road, dirt roads... sure.

-Adam

Edit: I am referring to an '09 or earlier Bad Boy Ultra
    adam michigan karate monkey

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you're planning to do real road miles, get a road bike. The flat handlebar thing gets old fast. I think it's more okay in mountain biking because rider position is so dynamic.

Will you have safe places to lock it? I use a $100 road bike for my commuting needs, and I can leave it locked almost anywhere without worrying about it. I've also done rides up to 20 miles on it, and if it fit a little better it would be fine for that. Outside of racing, road riding is not as sensitive to having fancy equipment, IMO. You just need to avoid the current crop of cheap stuff that's made to look like the current high-end models.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 2