Can you park in the lot?- Mtbr.com

Can you park in the lot?

So my commute would be around 17 miles each way if I rode the whole distance so in the winter I typically drive to the nearest trailhead and ride from there (to cut the distance during the darker and colder months) about 10 miles. When the crushed rock trails are mush I ride in from the edge of the city and therein lies the problem. I typically park on the far end of large store's parking lots. A couple of folks at those stores have expressed "concern" that I'm "loitering." It's odd. Anyone ever have that issue?

mtbr member
    If it's a mall parking lot, then no one would give you hard time. If it's at the back of a large store with it's own parking lot then maybe they have a point, but if the store hasn't taken any action or talked to you, it's fine until they do/ if they do. If they do, park somewhere else. Any bus lots near the trailhead?

I get this to a certain extent. I would have to pay for parking where I work, so I park further away and bike from there. Neighborhoods mostly, but try to stay away from the same place all the time.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

No bus stops in my state. Not really a Midwest thing unless you're in a bigger city like KC of Chicago. There is a church lot near one trail head. Think I'll go back to using their remote lot.

since 4/10/2009
    So walmart lets you park your camper and sleep in the parking lot overnight. I think you'd have some room to complain if you used one of their lots as a park & ride lot and an employee told you to stop given that little tidbit.

Moderator Moderator
    I have seen that issue, mostly at lots near the commuter bus, so dozens of people are looking for parking. Typically here the ones that care have all those "customers only" "1 hour limit" or "no commuter parking signs". I have been able to go under the radar without a problem at some shopping centers, but I only use them occasionally. I know one person that got permission to park at a lot from a store manager after getting shooed off previously, but that could go either way.

Actually a Walmart manager I know prefers that folks park in his lot when they're running errands or car pooling. I don't know if that's common, but he seems to think a full looking parking lot brings in customers and he's reasonably certain the more times someone parks there the more times they'll remember that they need something that Walmart sells. My only problem with that theory is that I promised myself I'd never wear lycra into a Walmart while I still have all my own teeth.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Actually a Walmart manager I know prefers that folks park in his lot when they're running errands or car pooling. I don't know if that's common, but he seems to think a full looking parking lot brings in customers and he's reasonably certain the more times someone parks there the more times they'll remember that they need something that Walmart sells. My only problem with that theory is that I promised myself I'd never wear lycra into a Walmart while I still have all my own teeth.
    As far as I understand, that policy comes down from corporate, and it's similar in concept to why they let people with campers sleep in their parking lots overnight. And it's exactly for the reasons you state.

Now that I have a small camper and have done long road trips with it, I've occasionally been on the lookout for places I can park, sleep, and get back on the road quickly. I've done truck stops and KOAs so far. The KOA, in comparison, is a bit more upscale (it should be, since you have to pay for it), and at least offers a fairly nice bathroom on site where you can shower. Advantages to truck stops and walmarts is the on-site food. I've not bothered showering in a truck stop. They're oftentimes fairly shady. If given a choice between a truck stop and a walmart, I think I'd pick the walmart.

When it comes to parking in shopping center lots for carpooling or multi-modal commuting or whatever, it really seems hit-or-miss. Some places I've lived have specific "Park & Ride" lots, but many haven't. I've also seen plenty of signs prohibiting the use of shopping center parking lots for the purpose.

In your situation, I'd probably just do what you've been doing and use them until someone started giving me a hard time. I'd probably lean more towards using larger shopping center parking lots, though, with multiple businesses in there. You'd be less likely to have any individual manager giving you a hard time, I'd think.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    My only problem with that theory is that I promised myself I'd never wear lycra into a Walmart while I still have all my own teeth.
    Ha Ha, best throw a pair of sweat pants in your car to pull over your second skin when you need to run in and buy that Bell Sports bike tube.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Many Church lot's only fully fill up on weekends. If the church you are parking at is not full, I would go inside, ask for the Pastor and tell him you'll make a monthly donation to his youth fund in return for permission to park in his lot during the week so you can bike to work in the winter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    In the case of sole proprietorships, being a customer often has it's rewards. Many times they'll even keep an eye on your car while you're not there. It doesn't have to be much. Buy something to put in your water bottle.
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!