Can a Cardboard Helmet Work better?- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Seems like a cool idea, I might wear one just for the WTF looks and comments...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Rogue Exterminator
    Cool helmet but I fail to see why it is any surprise that cardboard with a plastic shell can be made as strong as styrofoam.

I don't really consider this an innovation especially since the helmets appear bulkier and less ventilated. However, with the clear shell, they do look cool.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Cool helmet but I fail to see why it is any surprise that cardboard with a plastic shell can be made as strong as styrofoam.

I don't really consider this an innovation especially since the helmets appear bulkier and less ventilated. However, with the clear shell, they do look cool.
    That is just the first model coming to market.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    That is just the first model coming to market.
    Don't get me wrong, I think it is a cool looking helmet for the fashion conscious inner city biker and considering this is the commuter forum, it is in the right place. I just don't consider it any more innovative then a good looking pair of shoes.

That being said, I think fashionable biker gear is important because it might get somebody wearing it that under normal circumstances would not.

It will be interesting though to see what else comes out and the prices these helmets sell for.

mtbr member
    ^^ Having recently broken a helmet and abraded my face largely because I was unconscious from the impact, I am for a lighter more impact protective design. Venting and price are a couple of my concerns, but I see myself as an early adopter. By the time two lights and a camera are mounted, style is not a selling point.

BrianMc

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ Having recently broken a helmet and abraded my face largely because I was unconscious from the impact, I am for a lighter more impact protective design. Venting and price are a couple of my concerns, but I see myself as an early adopter. By the time two lights and a camera are mounted, style is not a selling point.

BrianMc
    I fail to see how these helmets will protect your face more than your current bike helmets.
    Sounds like you should be more interested in something more like a Met Parachute or other full face helmets available on the market.

I would bet these are damn fine helmets, but I wouldn't I personally would not think them to be any better than similar current model helmets available for what I would guess to be a fraction of the cost.

Even though you can't put a price on your head or safety, I would guess that at least for a while, you will be able to buy much safer helmets for less money then these will be commercially available for.

mtbr member
    I fail to see how these helmets will protect your face more than your current bike helmets.
    Okay let me walk you through my analysis:

Let's assume that I would not have been knocked out with this cardboard helmet. That is a reasonable assumption as my former helmet split at the temple indicating that it failed with the blow that knocked me out. This is assuming that the higher impact resistance in testing is present in production models of the cardboard helmets when they are available here. It is also lighter.

It is being knocked out that prevented me minimizing facial reconstruction by pavement. Not saving me from the knock out when I am not even colliding with another vehicle seems a bit inadequate to me. I know that they are not up to a 60 mph collision but I fell off the bike. I did not take a header into a car grille.

Anyway, once unconscious, my muscles relaxed, my head rotated, and my face was made even more gruesome. Conscious, my efforts to save my face would have, I think, been much more successful. Hard not to be. Might have broken a collarbone,if my right arm got too involved or some rotator cuff damage, but my right eye would not have been in jeopardy with a lens just missing it. Got lucky there. Then there is the issue of a concussion.

So, in my replay of the impact this new helmet may have kept me conscious, allowed me to keep my face unmodified and i let me remount and ride away with only some torn clothing and knee scrapes. No ambulance ride to the hospital.

Sounds like you should be more interested in something more like a Met Parachute or other full face helmets available on the market.
    In 50 years of riding I have never had a front tire blow out in a turn before. Regardless of the rarity, I expect my helmet to protect my skull better than the styrofoam and shell of my old helmet, my current one, or the ones you suggest.

I would bet these are damn fine helmets, but I wouldn't I personally would not think them to be any better than similar current model helmets available for what I would guess to be a fraction of the cost.
    It is my bet with my health and money, not yours. I do agree that other than the chin protection, they would not differ from my current helmet which has the bill extending out from the forehead. Some added help.

Even though you can't put a price on your head or safety, I would guess that at least for a while, you will be able to buy much safer helmets for less money then these will be commercially available for.
    I suspect you did not see the video. It showed the forces and flex that the usual foam and shell construction handles versus the cardboard. I agree that such claims need to be verified and confirmed by independent testing, but by my backyard mechanic eyes, it looks likely. Sequential failure at a higher force is better than complete failure at a much lower stress level.

This is a long post, but maybe you can see that there maybe another take than style on the usefulness of the cardboard helmet.

In case you want to see the accident:

Accident - YouTube

If I can afford a camera,I can afford a decent helmet.

BrianMc

Members who have read this thread: 0