Calgary: Bike to Work Day, April 11, 2008- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Calgary: Bike to Work Day, April 11, 2008

I posted this over at bikecalgary.org but I'm bored so I'm posting it here too

Last year, they were handing out goodies under the 10th st pedestrian bridge on the south side. I picked up a water bottle, patch kit, and a couple other things. I'm sure more details will come as I think a few bike shops and the city sponsor it. I didn't even have to stop! They hand it off to you like in a race...

mtbr member
    Maybe this year I will try to get some free stuff.
    It's go time

May 2007
    Wow... April 11. What a load of s***t. My city in its infinite wisdom has decided JUNE 6th... SOUTHERN ONTARIO... while Calgary has it April 11th. I wish I lived there. Go figure, a more northerly Cnd. City has it April 11th, and our is June 6th. I hate my city.

GOOOOOO CALGARY!!!!

mtbr member
    well I think it would be better if they had it in may or something. on the tenth we got 24cm of wet sloppy snow and the paths were pretty ice yesterday. and the year before that it snow also. I don't think that allot of people who have never rode to work before are going to do it when it is a snowy cold morning.
    It's go time

ups and downs
    I grew up in Calgary, you'd think they'd know that you can expect snow anytime up to the May long weekend (and sometimes beyond).

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    I grew up in Calgary, you'd think they'd know that you can expect snow anytime up to the May long weekend (and sometimes beyond).
    And you require politicians and City Fathers to think better than that 'cause why?

If your Canadian April 11 was anything like the day we had in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan....wow.....sideways 34 degree downpour bike ride anyone? The only plus was if you rode downwind one could coast along at about 40mph....

That kind of weather would piss off a duck!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Double-metric mtb man
    For Edmonton, they usually wait for June (a.k.a. "Bike Month") for that sort of thing.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hizzity
    well I think it would be better if they had it in may or something. on the tenth we got 24cm of wet sloppy snow and the paths were pretty ice yesterday. and the year before that it snow also. I don't think that allot of people who have never rode to work before are going to do it when it is a snowy cold morning.
    Yeah, the paths were pretty quiet that day, the snow on Thursday scared em off.

Off the back...
    Bike to Work Day really should be in May or something. The odds of there being snow on the ground in early April is pretty high...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ya, I think the event means well, but it probably ends up being the dedicated commuters that are out in crappy conditions anyway.

My worst ride this winter was that day, as the Inglewood -> Odgen pathway was a frozen choppy mess and with a high gear and rigid bike I couldn't ride more than 10 feet with out having to get off.

Good thing was passing two tents during my normal ride; one of the bags had a bell, which was cool cuz I actually needed one

Members who have read this thread: 0