Cage driver ever thrown something at you?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Cage driver ever thrown something at you?

Testing out my commuting rig for night riding on a great 10 mile trip. Bike worked great, light worked great, only one issue: a tall boy beer can landed in front of me. No, God didn't materialize this object in front of me, it was an interesting chap in a truck...why is it ALWAYS truck drivers? I wish I had a bull horn to tell them I already got the memo they don't measure up in a certain department - no need to tell me again...

Anyway, share your stories...I've had stuff yelled at me while walking or riding, but throwing things at me is crossing the line - if I had my glock on me I would have shot out his windows.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I have not been assualted like this but I did see something awesome/ripley's believe it or notish.

I was riding home and noticed out the corner of my eye a guy with a lawnmower flipped over and running, he was spraying his garden hose at it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Moderator Moderator
    I have not had to dodge any incoming projectiles, but VT made it illegal to throw things at bikes about a week ago. Kinda sad commentary when you need a law to tell you not to do that. In the same law it looks like animals on the road made out a little better; you can't do anything likely to scare them, while I guess its still OK to startle bikers by yelling, honking, etc. as long as you don't throw something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah sometimes drivers are just bad news.Some a-hole shot me in the back of the neck with a paintball gun one time.I could hear the laughter coming from the car....funny thing is that I remembered the car..... spotted it,AND the driver a few weeks later.All I can say is that it became my turn to laugh.....

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Iím not quite sure what a cage driver is, so I am not sure if a cage driver has ever thrown anything at me. I had a water bottle cage bolt come loose on a ride one time, however.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Iím not quite sure what a cage driver is, so I am not sure if a cage driver has ever thrown anything at me. I had a water bottle cage bolt come loose on a ride one time, however.
    Whether you're being sarcastic or not I'll define it for you.

Cage driver or Cager is:
    a popular word among motorcyclists and bicyclists for four wheeled motor vehicle drivers. The term is often used in a derogative sense, because the car body effectively forms a cage, isolating the said driver from having to interact with other road users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Sju9TNrag

That looks about right...or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v9_dOV9g6Q

mtbr member
    I guessed, but had never seen or heard the term 'cage driver' before. Made me think of a hamster on his wheel, first. Didn't fit somehow...

Lumping all motorists with the dolts in the videos is unkind at best. Though Lord knows, there have been times I thought much more than just unkind thoughts of more than a just one or two. Serious attempts for Darwin Awrards , there.

If the problematic ones were actually 'driving' and not multi-tasking into the equivalent incompetence level of DWI, I 'd be a lot happier camper.

Have cycled quite a while, and large mostly drained ice-in-the-bottom soft drinks with the golden arches (usually) have come my way, a badly aimed beer bottle once, (I think it was just a badly timed roadside disposal),

I have happened on someone trying to kill himself by shooting straight in the air while lying on the ground at the side of the road and one bullet came too close while I left the scene rapidly. Again, intent to aim is not proven in this case. It is hard to show rational behavior of any kind, actually.

mtbr member
    I drive my cage more than my bike and I've never felt inclined to throw something at myself.

jrm
    mtbr member

Full can of coke

some white trash oakland *******.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've had pop bottles and beer cans tossed my way, think it was just them tossing it and i happened to be in line with the vehicle.
    the worst was some teens walking on a sidewalk who smashed a beer bottle on the road just ahead of me. lucky i avoided the glass.

mtbr member
    Damn, best regards to all of you.

Had someone thrown something at me, I'd go absolutely ballistic. Hell, if it was near a light and the person stopped there, I don't think I'd contain myself.

You guys deserve more credit than society gives you. I know I'm not strong enough to be judged negatively against.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Remind me not to move to the US. I'm starting to see why you guys are all gun happy.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Had a guy in BMW 7 series try to throw a slushie at me out his passenger window. Well he failed when the cup hit the pillar and dumped everything on his seat and floorboard. I told him to have a nice day, gave him a thumbs up and went on my way home. I figuered justiced was properly served
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

Bedwards Of The West
    I had a Jr. High student emerge at the top of a giant pile of snow in his school parking lot (pushed into a mountain by the plow) and lob a snowball at me... I was doing about 25 on a slight decline, maybe 35 yards away, and I thought "no way". I kept the corner of my eye on the snowball and the power to the pedals, and I dismissed it as a childish attempt... but it turns out this kid was a mini Brett Favre or something, because the lead-out was absolutely perfect. The snowball exploded on my thigh and I thought for a split second about turning around and giving chase... but you have to give credit to a 7th grader who can hit a fast target at 35 yards. I smiled and carried on.

...nothing hurled from a car other than yells and insults though.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Ride Responsibly
    I have been hit with a bottle of water. Sheriff took the report, noted make and model of the car. No I did not get the plate number. Sheriff did not go so far as to fingerprint the bottle.
    I have a video cam to record trail rides, makes more sense to use it on the road now days.

~Disc~Golf~
    an apple to the middle of my back (80mph?) - pretty much knocked the wind out of me
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Hail Satin!
    I had a full tray of McDonald's sodas thrown at my back from a passing car. Hit me dead center. Driver pulled over jumped out and started apologizeing left and right. Her teenage son (maybe 12-13 and VERY goth) was having a bad day and decided to make someone pay. I was fuming mad. I mean mad. I could feel my heartbeat in my eyelid mad. If it was the kids father I would have head-butted him mad. But when I saw him all dark and brooding I just started to laught. She offered to pay for cleaning and pain and suffering and all. But I just smiled. I told her to save the money for therapy. For her or the kid. And just went on my soggy way.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    had a 'gheto-bong' thrown at me... stupid highschool kids...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    had a 'gheto-bong' thrown at me... stupid highschool kids...
    is that a 'Drive By Bike Shooting'?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had an egg thrown at me. It hit my left tricep and covered me in egg goo. Scared the hell outta me. Whoever did it planned it well as they camouflaged themselves among a group of cars as they drove by at 50 mph and did it while it was dark outside. No screaming punks laughing out the window or any other sign of who dunnit.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    is that a 'Drive By Bike Shooting'?
    my name may reflect my feelings immediately after that event.

Quote Originally Posted by abmtnbkr
    I had an egg thrown at me. It hit my left tricep and covered me in egg goo. Scared the hell outta me. Whoever did it planned it well as they camouflaged themselves among a group of cars as they drove by at 50 mph and did it while it was dark outside. No screaming punks laughing out the window or any other sign of who dunnit.
    could have been droped by a prego crackhead bird!
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    About 20 miles into a pretty good springtime road ride, I had just turned onto a little country road and was approaching a small hill. As I started to climb, I noted a car behind me--it was hanging back which didn't cause me any alarm--there were a couple of on-coming cars just cresting the hill and there wasn't room to pass. Once they'd cleared, I heard the car behind me accelerate so I glanced again in my mirror, and saw they'd swung well into the left lane to overtake (good) but that a young fellow on the passenger side was leaning out the window with his fist raised. (not good!) I just had time to think, "aw crap," as they passed and I felt a light impact on my left hand--they'd thrown a 1/2-eaten hot dog in a bun at me! Lots of yellow mustard, it seemed--I had some on my glove and all over my brake hood and lever.

I was pissed, of course--raised up the ol' single finger salute. But here's the kicker--these guys had just pulled out of a driveway I'd passed at the base of the hill. I'd seen them getting into the car when I rode by!

I've had to shrug off a few rude drivers over the years and this seemed a chance to get in a return shot. So, after a moment's consideration, I turned around and rode back to the house. I rang the doorbell, and another young fellow answered--he of course had no idea who might have just left the place in a white Grand Am about three minutes ago. Well, heck, why would he? So I told him "well, I'll just call the cops-maybe they can help you remember." Walking my bike down the drive, I pulled out my cell phone (first time I've had to use it for a ride incident since I bought it for just this purpose a few years back) and call the sheriff's office. I was shaking, reaction, anger and the chill air once I'd stopped moving, but I felt pretty determined to see it through at this point.

The dispatcher took the address info and an outline of the story, and told me to wait there "if I didn't feel in any danger," and an officer would be there directly. The kid in the house seemed more sheepish than pissed, so I stuck around.

I chewed on a Clif bar to occupy and calm myself while waiting, and wished I could have just had a nice ride instead of standing there watching the mustard dry on my brake lever. I had time to wonder if the cop would be supportive, whether I should've just let it slide. After a few minutes, a car approached and slowed. It pulled into the driveway and a 40ish woman looked curiously over at me. I walked over and told her my tale of woe. To her credit, she was immediately sympathetic and angry at the kids--the driver was her son, and she indicated that a grounding with no car might be in his future. We talked a bit, and then she went inside. She came right back out again after a couple of minutes and said "I knew where they went, so I've called them to get back here and apologize. They were pretty shocked that you were here!"

She then stayed outside with me until the Deputy arrived He was very professional and took the act seriously. He asked me if I wanted to press charges of assault. I told him if we could give the kids a talking to, I'd settle for an apology and a promise to not do such things in the future, which is pretty much what I got when they got back shortly after. They were pretty sheepish, pretty obviously more sorry they'd been caught than for their actions, but for 17-18 year old males, pretty contrite. I was a hell-raiser myself at that age, responsible for more than my share of stupid stunts, so I told them, "you'll look back on this when you're my age and wonder how you could've ever been such a dumb ass." The perp even got a wet cloth and cleaned off my brake hood so I could ride back to my car without getting more mustard on my glove.

Talking with the mom and then the cop had pretty much drained my anger about the whole thing and I was a bit embarrassed at the stink I'd made, justified though I think it was. Plus I was quite chilled and it was getting late and I really just wanted to go home. I joked with the kids a little more than I had planned and in hindsight I wonder if they really got the scare I wanted them to. I spent a lot of time that night second guessing myself about what I said, should have said and so on. But all in all, I think they were forced to acknowledge that someone on a bike was not a target for cheap laughs and that maybe pitching garbage at a stranger from a speeding car wasn't the best way to amuse oneself. In the end, I just hope that is the lesson that sticks...

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    "you'll look back on this when you're my age and wonder how you could've ever been such a dumb ass."
    I want so badly to scrawl that on the wall of my classroom. Beautiful.

As far as remembering the lesson, any reminder that the guy on the bike is an actual human who might show up at your door is a good one. I'm sure it stuck. Nice work
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF
    "you'll look back on this when you're my age and wonder how you could've ever been such a dumb ass."...
    The even dumber a$$es aren't around anymore to have any regrets, and the difference is often a bit of luck good or bad either way. Remember these imortal words: Do you feel lucky Punk? Well doya?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I want so badly to scrawl that on the wall of my classroom. Beautiful.

+1, I want it on my cubie too.

As far as remembering the lesson, any reminder that the guy on the bike is an actual human who might show up at your door is a good one. I'm sure it stuck. Nice work
    +1, good sighting too on the exact address too, Steve.

I know what you mean, though, I too have felt a bit sheepish when I reported a bike harasser to the cops (they talked to him) & when I stopped to talk to a dog owner whose dog had almost caused a high speed crash that a.m., but both seem to have had the desired effect.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys--really it turned out about as well as one could hope I suppose. One detail that was gratifying to me is that the Sheriff Deputy that showed up took my complaint completely seriously, did not in any way criticize me for riding the road and offered with no BS to file an assault complaint. Very professional and not a trace of anti-bike bias. That's gold right there, given some of the stories I've read about cops that just want us to go away. As sympathetic as he was though I kinda wish the mom had been home when I first knocked. If I'd been able to talk to her I don't think I would've even involved the law--she definitely took it seriously--none of that blaming me for being there or my boy would never do such a thing, etc.

One of the reason's stuff like this happens is that people in cars feel safe and anonymous--they can bully us and drive away without consequences. That's why I felt it was important to take advantage of knowing what house they'd come from to let them know they couldn't get away with it. And why the stories of people catching up to cars at lights or whatever and confronting them are gratifying, though I think you have to be careful about escalating things to a dangerous level. Being a bit under 5'7" and puny, I am VERY careful about how I react in such situations. Pretty much anyone can potentially kick my ass.

Fortunately this sort of thing is pretty rare around here--in the 18 years I've been riding the local roads and the 9 years I've been commuting, I've had very few incidents.

And if you spend any time riding the road, a rear view mirror is a very good idea in my experience! That's how I spotted these guys in time to be prepared for the worse and it's come in handy many times. Get one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rode my motorcycle to work this morning. In addition to the usual collection of cellphone users, on the way I spotted a cager who was eating a bowl of cereal with milk dribbling down his chin while he was essentially steering with his knees.

Over the years (25) of riding motorcycles, I have had a few things thrown at me, mostly cigarette butts, once an entire ash tray. Its never happened to me on the bicycle though, mostly because I avoid riding on any highway or street with a higher speed limit. But I'm that guy who would rather ride 5 miles out of his way to get to a dedicated bike path rather than ride on the shoulder of a busy road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy
    But I'm that guy who would rather ride 5 miles out of his way to get to a dedicated bike path rather than ride on the shoulder of a busy road.
    Try 25 miles one-way along busy high speed roads to nearest POS MUP. Some of us have no choice if we want to ride.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 05-28-2010 at 04:58 AM.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I have not been assualted like this but I did see something awesome/ripley's believe it or notish.

I was riding home and noticed out the corner of my eye a guy with a lawnmower flipped over and running, he was spraying his garden hose at it.
    more like Darwin award recipient
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Members who have read this thread: 0