Building a Commuter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Building a Commuter?

So I have been commuting of and on for most of this year. I use the road bike. But want to build a commuter. I'm a fireman so bike storage ,a shower, and a locker at work means I have no need to carry anymore then a small backpack. I ride a Redline MC Flight which I have upgraded ALOT! I have the stock fork, wheels, a set of BB5's, a saddle , stem, and bars. All I need is a crankset and bb. Oh forgot to mention I picked up the Performance Access 29r frame a few weeks ago on sale.
    My commute is mostly flat/rolling. Just want to build a single speed what crank can I pick up on the cheap and where? And what would some of my fellow commuters reccomend for this ride?
    thanks
    Never Forget......343...Rest easy Lads You Dun Good!

Bedwards Of The West
    I built up a cyclocross bike for my current ride... I love the process of building your own bike.

I basically made a really beefy road bike this time... and next time I plan to go with a 29er MTB and basically make a really lean mountain bike. I'm curious to see your build...sounds like it'll be really similar to my next project.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thehook
    So I have been commuting of and on for most of this year. I use the road bike. But want to build a commuter. I'm a fireman so bike storage ,a shower, and a locker at work means I have no need to carry anymore then a small backpack. I ride a Redline MC Flight which I have upgraded ALOT! I have the stock fork, wheels, a set of BB5's, a saddle , stem, and bars. All I need is a crankset and bb. Oh forgot to mention I picked up the Performance Access 29r frame a few weeks ago on sale.
    My commute is mostly flat/rolling. Just want to build a single speed what crank can I pick up on the cheap and where? And what would some of my fellow commuters reccomend for this ride?
    thanks
    Sounds to me like you should upgrade your crank on the MC Flight and then move the stock MC crank over to your commuter. You could spend a bunch on a crank for your MC Flight then, if that is what you wanted to do. I like the look of the new shimano SLX stuff.

Hope that helps.

weirdo

Members who have read this thread: 0