Brilliant discount for every hour you ride- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

[Maybe Not So] Brilliant discount for every hour you ride

Last edited by mtbxplorer; 04-21-2015 at 03:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think I might have to Strava my commute now. Not sure how I feel about that.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I do it for mileage tracking. Haven't had much commuting lately, but you can use it for consumables like chains, cassettes, and rubber, so why not?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just signed up for it so I likely will, like you said I can stock up on tubes and chain lube and stuff for free this way.

I've had a Strava account for a long time now, but I've never actually launched it because I'm just not competitive enough to care. I recently got a GPS to help track my miles, just had no intention of putting them on Strava. I've got a trail I want to explore tomorrow, should earn me a couple bucks.

mtbr member
    I am like you all. I have Strava on my phone but have never turned it on. Maybe I will for the commute to log the hours and get the benefit, but absolutely NOT care about any performance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well I can confirm this works, did a 2 hour ride with my girlfriend over the weekend. Uploaded my gpx file to Strava and I've got a $2.50 credit on my account as of this morning.

guy
    I'm really excited about this. One thing I've noticed is you have to ride for at least an hour to earn anything. After that first hour, you earn $0.50 for every half hour you ride.

So if you ride 0-59 minutes, you earn $0. 60-89 minutes, you earn $1. 90-119 minutes, $1.50, etc. And it counts moving time, not actual time. Definitely a nice benefit, but a lot of my commutes won't qualify.

mtbr member
    They recently added an option to view your weekly totals in the training long WITHOUT the commutes.

My year-to-date without the commutes is not pretty... about 1/4 of the total km.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleebs View Post
    I'm really excited about this. One thing I've noticed is you have to ride for at least an hour to earn anything. After that first hour, you earn $0.50 for every half hour you ride.

So if you ride 0-59 minutes, you earn $0. 60-89 minutes, you earn $1. 90-119 minutes, $1.50, etc. And it counts moving time, not actual time. Definitely a nice benefit, but a lot of my commutes won't qualify.
    I was wondering about this, my commute is 30 minutes each way. On my Magellan GPS I can pause my ride though, so I think I could ride in, pause my ride and restart for the ride home to get a 1 hour ride instead of two 30 minute rides. I will try that sometime this week and report back.

guy
    I was wondering about this, my commute is 30 minutes each way. On my Magellan GPS I can pause my ride though, so I think I could ride in, pause my ride and restart for the ride home to get a 1 hour ride instead of two 30 minute rides. I will try that sometime this week and report back.
    Good call. I didn't think about pausing it, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. Let us know how it works out for you! My commute usually ends up around 50 minutes of moving time, so maybe I'll just start taking a longer route.

mtbr member
    Strava auto-pauses whenever you are stopped regardless of what the GPS does. Strava's total ride time is the sum of all moving time for the day added together, unless you reset the device.

Hence you can combine morning and afternoon commutes into one big ride. And I usually, do to avoid spamming my strava followers with a bunch of 8-km efforts.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Helpful info, thanks!

OK, I put Strava on the phone today, but forgot to run it on the way home. Do I need to do anything else to tie in with Competitive Cyclist?

mtbr member
    ^ Yes- create an account with Competitive Cyclist- go to your "my account" page and there will be a link there to sync it with strava. Once that is done, C.C. Will keep track of your points/dollars for store credit...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Thank you, I will try it today.

CB of the East
    Cool stuff, all signed up and it already retroactively credited me for $3 from Sunday's 55 mile ride. Excellent find. I can make twice as much here as I could on that stupid government tax credit that is impossible to get.

CB of the East
    FYI, the credits seems to transfer to their sister site: Outdoor Gear & Clothing | Ski, Snowboard, Camp & More | Backcountry.com. I've never actually bought anything at competitive cyclist because they always seemed pricy but backcountry I have.

CompetitiveCyclist.com Joins The Backcountry.com Family of Specialty Retail Stores | Competitive Cyclist

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Not accepting new members for the program any longer.

Bedwards Of The West
    Just tried to sign up, missed the boat I guess I rack up some serious hours on the bike with commuting. That would be killer! Hopefully they open it back up at some point.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ...and just like that they won't be issuing any more credits starting tomorrow. That was short lived. Says they will announce something new on May 19th in the email I got.

mtbr member

Competitive Cyclist overwhelmed ?

Email I received from competitive cyclist: "What an incredible few weeks it’s been here at Competitive.

When we came up with the idea to pay you a dollar an hour to ride your bike through our partnership with Strava, it was pure, it was simple and it represented everything we stand for. Apparently you liked it too, because you signed up by the tens of thousands and told everyone you knew. We had expectations and you blew them out of the water.

Because of this we’ve had to pause new sign-ups, and we must stop issuing new credits beginning tomorrow, April 21st. We’re already hard at work on a revised program that can support many, many more people. We will update you with the details of this revised program on May 19th.

If you have earned money, it’s yours to keep and we encourage you to put it towards something great. Those credits will expire on May 31st at 11:59 pm MST.

Because you’ve already connected, when the program resumes, you’ll be ready to roll. We won’t do anything with your data and we’ll maintain the privacy policy we’ve always held.

Enjoy the ride and we’ll speak soon."

I guess they could'nt hang with the volume- I already racked up 25$. I don't regulary purchase stuff from them cause they are normally much higher in price than other sources. Oh well

CB of the East
    Wow! That was short lived. I did the math when they offered it and thought it seemed too generous. My guess is that the revised plan will give you discounts over their normally higher priced items bringing them down to the normal range.

Oh, well, I earned $16 in under 2 weeks.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Curious to see how this plays out for them. I wasn't a customer before, but this promotion was really appealing so I thought I'd give them a shot. Killing it after 2 weeks leaves a bad taste in my mouth personally.

Seems like poor execution on their part. I'm definitely going to have reservations about any future offers, but maybe that's just me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    they usually have a few really good deals on tires (like the current 20 dollar Geaux Mezcals) that I was going to spend my commute earning. Bummer, but I bet the increase in business would have caught up and easily surpassed the people that would keep it up for the long haul.

CB of the East
    "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is."

I didn't think it would last but I thought it might be around for at least a few months.

CB of the East
    **Nice Title Edit **

mtbr member
    Its too bad they cancelled this program. I had $10 saved up, and was planning on buying a new backpack. There's not much I can buy with only $10.

guy
    Has anyone figured out how they are handling this now? I was on the competitive cyclist website and there is some vague info about their incentive program with strava, but I can't figure out if or how it works.

CB of the East
    Vague is about all there is for information so far. Basically, they aren't promising anything. I spent the $16 I "earned" on some gloves.
    This is from the email they sent out.
    Win a New Bike with Strava Connect
    Our goal with Strava Connect is to reward you for riding, and we’ve been hard at work refining the program details. Thank you for your patience while we developed our new incentive program for Strava Connect users.

Going forward, we’ll challenge you to get out on your bike by giving you goals. More about goals:

Goals can be as challenging as earning a KOM/QOM on a specific climb, or as fun as creating a specific piece of Strava Art
    Goals can be a single-day objective, or last for a month or more
    For some goals, everyone can earn something, and for others, only one person will win
    New goals will be announced through our email and social channels; including our Competitive Cyclist club on Strava

To thank you for your patience and your participation, we’re drawing a winner for each of the following three bikes. If you’ve connected your Competitive Cyclist and Strava profiles, you’re already entered.
    Strava Connect Goal Details.
    Open to Strava Connect members enrolled prior to June 30, 2015
    Enrollment for new users will be available by June 1, 2015
    For those of you already connected, you are already entered into the drawing
    A winner will be selected at random for each bike on July 2
    Winners select the desired bike size
    Each qualifying entrant gets three chances to win (winners will be excluded from subsequent bike drawings for this contest)
    Available to all residents of the United States, void where prohibited by law