• 12-10-2009
    airborns_pilot
    Break pads to V brakes that do OK in the snow?
    as the title says i have my old schwinn moab fendered up and ready for winter but yesterday was Quebec city's first good snow fall 15 -20 cm seamed like more this mourning when i had to dig the car out. Anyways after a few minuts i came to brake and basically nothing happened, with that much snow your don't go very fast, which was good in this situation. I was wondering if anyone knows some good brake pads that can give at least some stopping power instead of no stopping power.

Thanks
  • 12-10-2009
    jeffscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airborns_pilot
    as the title says i have my old schwinn moab fendered up and ready for winter but yesterday was Quebec city's first good snow fall 15 -20 cm seamed like more this mourning when i had to dig the car out. Anyways after a few minuts i came to brake and basically nothing happened, with that much snow your don't go very fast, which was good in this situation. I was wondering if anyone knows some good brake pads that can give at least some stopping power instead of no stopping power.

Thanks

Zero stopping power basically means you have a thin layer of ice on the braking surface....pad material doesn't really matter at this point....

Try hammering the brakes off and on....your trying to kinda crack the ice layer...

Happens on discs brakes, but not nearly as often, and the discs can break that layer off much easier.
  • 12-10-2009
    Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Maybe also consider converting your Moab to a single fixed gear, if you're going to be using it exclusively for winter commuting. Some veteran extreme winter commuters feel that it gives you better control in this type of situation.
  • 12-10-2009
    spazzy
    I am running into the same problem with V's in the snow. I have been just dragging the heel of my shoe/boot fred flinstone style if i need to stop, otherwise its all about momentum
  • 12-12-2009
    rodar y rodar
    It might have been neither (rims or pads). I get frozen cables anor calipers once in a while and after I break it free the first time it usually doesn`t give me any more trouble for the rest of the ride. I seldom have trouble with iced up rims around here (long way from Quebec, though) and I really don`t even know for sure what I have for brake pads. Kool Stop Salmon in front and something black on the rear, I think. Not much help, eh? Sorry- but if it happens again check to see exactly what froze on you.
  • 12-12-2009
    damrtn
    I would look to make sure your pads aren't rubbing.If they are, they make snow melt on the rim that freezes, creating a layer of ice.I've been riding V's and haven't had a problem.
  • 12-12-2009
    kalbo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airborns_pilot

Thanks

try KOOL SALMON BRAKE PADS. i have been using them for the past year and it works well for me. this is what i have on my winter ride...

https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefron...%20%281%29.jpg
  • 12-12-2009
    DriveByBikeShooting
    +1 for kool stops, I never used the salmon but I use the tri compound ones and Have commuted on them in snow for 2 years now and they are just starting to show signs of wear... they if properly set up and using good cables work about as well as mech discs...

I used to go to UVM and one time i left my bike outside when it was sub zero... locked to a bike rack... later to realize that snow melting off the roof of the building was dripping on my bike froze completley over my front wheel and the brakes were in about 3 inches of ice when I went out to ride home...I chipped most of it off the brakes (with kool stops) and it still rode fine with about 3 inches of ice on the bars and stem and some still in the spokes... It added like 10 lbs to the front end but it was just too cold for me to spend any more time de-icing my bike...