Brakes Swap?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Brakes Swap?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Brakes Swap?

I have a basic commuter bike that has mechanical disc brakes, for awhile now i've had problems with stopping with them. The front brake has gotten to the point where it just won't brake anymore no matter how hard I hold it. I have the brakes adjusted and a week or two later they go back to their old not wanting to stop ways.

The bike is about 10 months old.

I was contemplating converting to basic brake pads. Don't really know bikes that well, but I do love to ride them! Not sure if this is a good idea or even possible. I ride it every day in any weather usually about 10-12km a day. Ideas or options would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cowarch View Post
    I have a basic commuter bike that has mechanical disc brakes, for awhile now i've had problems with stopping with them. The front brake has gotten to the point where it just won't brake anymore no matter how hard I hold it. I have the brakes adjusted and a week or two later they go back to their old not wanting to stop ways.

The bike is about 10 months old.

I was contemplating converting to basic brake pads. Don't really know bikes that well, but I do love to ride them! Not sure if this is a good idea or even possible. I ride it every day in any weather usually about 10-12km a day. Ideas or options would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    check for oil on the pads...or just get new pads

mtbr member
    Assuming it's just the rotor/pad and not an alignment issue.

Mechanical discs are much better than traditional rim style pads, especially for a commuter in rain or shine riding. Oil on the pads/rotors sounds like a guilty culpret, and wiping the rotors with rubbing alcohol will help. Shouldn't be the silver-bullet though. I've taken the pads out of my brakes, rubbed them against some 80-grit sand paper and "rinsed" them with carburetor clear. Helped quite a bit. At the end of the day, cheap mechanical brakes are still cheap. If you still have problems after cleaning, I'd look at some decent quality mechanical brakes. BB5 (casual hills) or BB7 (if steep hills)

mtbr member
    Most bikes can use either rim brakes or disc brakes, not both. This is due to both the lack of mounts for both types of brakes on the frame as well as the wheels only being able to use one type.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cowarch View Post
    I have the brakes adjusted and a week or two later they go back to their old not wanting to stop ways.
    The pads on mechanical disc brakes have to be adjusted on a regular basis to maintain good stopping power. That's likely why they work when you have them adjusted and stop working two weeks later. Have your shop show you how to adjust them. It's very easy.