Bomb Proof Wet Weather Bottom Bracket - What's Out There?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Bomb Proof Wet Weather Bottom Bracket - What's Out There?

It's been a few years since my last build, and I'm ready for a new one. The one component I usually have problems with is the BB as I commute in all sorts of nasty wet, slushy, salty, and sandy conditions.

What bottom bracket is out there that will last in these conditions? I'm going for a single speed crank, but haven't chosen one yet, and most likely will based on BB longevity. Within reason price isn't a factor. (I don't need a $300 Ti bottom bracket or anything else silly for a commuter.)

Thanks!

Z.

mtbr member
    I'm not BB expert, but the GXP on my commuter has lasted pretty well. I've had it for 3 years/3500 miles and just cleaned/regreased it for the first time last week and it was still doing well at the time. It gets ridden in the rain and snow/salt. It's also really easy to disassemble and regrease, the next time I do it, it should take all of 10 minutes.

bike tester

since 4/10/2009
    1. clean your bike.
    2. after a season of teh nasty, replace your bb

For that, I stick to what's pretty affordable. Both of my bikes have Hollowtech II cranksets, and I just stick with the fairly inexpensive shimano bb's. Easy to replace. cheap. It works great for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That looks interesting. One to research. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    1. clean your bike.
    2. after a season of teh nasty, replace your bb

For that, I stick to what's pretty affordable. Both of my bikes have Hollowtech II cranksets, and I just stick with the fairly inexpensive shimano bb's. Easy to replace. cheap. It works great for me.
    Thanks for the ideas, but it's not really feasible for me as I'm not in the States, and spares are really expensive here, about double retail prices in the States, if you can actually find them.

I'd rather order a bombproof BB from abroad and forget about it than spend just as much, if not more, replacing my BB every year and going through the hassle of trying to track down the proper bottom bracket.

since 4/10/2009
    I dunno, man. Bottom brackets have always been a part that gets thrashed if you ride enough. If you want them to last, you can't neglect them. Cartridge bearings are essentially disposable. You CAN open them up to regrease them, but you have to be careful you don't damage the seals in the process of getting in there and putting them back together.

I have to wonder where you are that it's so hard to get parts. Even from one of the UK mail order places that ships overseas for cheap/free sometimes?

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    My choice would be a Shimano UN55 square taper bb. They can be had for around $20.00, are easy to replace, and seem to last me a while. It all really depends on what your frame will take..... Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I dunno, man. Bottom brackets have always been a part that gets thrashed if you ride enough. If you want them to last, you can't neglect them. Cartridge bearings are essentially disposable. You CAN open them up to regrease them, but you have to be careful you don't damage the seals in the process of getting in there and putting them back together.

I have to wonder where you are that it's so hard to get parts. Even from one of the UK mail order places that ships overseas for cheap/free sometimes?
    I'm in Latvia. The UK places ship free to the States, but usually charge for EU shipping, especially for small orders, which is bizarre. So economically it doesn't make sense to pay $30 for a $15 bottom bracket once you factor in shipping. When I travel to the States I actually pick stuff up for my LBS because stuff either isn't available here or it's just stupid expensive.

I currently have a Phil Wood BB that gets the bearings changed every 18 to 24 months, although I'm hoping they last a little longer with the mud guards I added at the last bearing change. Time will tell.

Does anyone have any real life experience with the Enduro XD-15? It's more than I want to spend, but if it really does last then in the long run it could be the better deal.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive used a two piece shimano crankset w a sinlge ring in the inside position with outboard bearing for a real long time. What nice is that if the BB needs to be replaced its only around $20..

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Phil Wood stainless, and snag some extra bearings at the same time, or get a Chris King and a grease injector. I know those are USA made and probably super expensive for you but I would guess there are some German made options that might be cheaper.

IMO Shimano bbs last a very long time especially considering the cost.