Boise Bicycle Project - and other bike co-ops- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544

    Boise Bicycle Project - and other bike co-ops

    go to their site here: A Nonprofit Bicycle Cooperative

    hey, I was over in Boise for my daughter's soccer and was able to stop in to the Boise Bicycle Project for the first time. Only had a few minutes, but was duly impressed. Any one else ever get over there? I see we have a couple boise area members on the forum.

    the BBP has a shop that you can use by the hour, or buy a membership and use when you want. It also has bins of used parts, frames, forks, etc. that you can use to install on your commuter, along with some limited new parts such as fenders, bars a few racks etc. Very cool! I looked for a stem for my old Fisher, and looked at their bars, but did not find exactly what i needed. Still, I need to get back there and check it out some more to see what other mods I might do to my commuter.

    Any one else go to this place or one like it?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,400

    Columbus Bike Co-op

    Columbus Bike Cooperative | Spread the Bike Love

    One of The Bicycle Station mechanics puts in some time there. I have a Peugeot Mixte that I originally got for Kathryn that I make my errand bike for the easier mounting. Sorry Rodar No pics until I'm ready. Cost $75. Light frame, too.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,321
    I volunteer at Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society (EBC)

    Same basic deal: shoptime, lots of tools, a stock of weird and cool old parts, tuned up bikes for sale, maintenance classes, etc. They also set up a booth at various summer festivals and offer tuneups.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Cool. You had asked if I had a co-op in your response to my handlebar thread. Glad I found this one, even if it is 2.25 hours away. At least we get over there regularly.

  5. #5
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,326
    I'm staff at the Bike Kitchen in Eureka, California. we're working hard and we've got virtually every tool a real shop has. But we are aching for donations. People are always happy to come and steal. or come and get a steal. but no one in our community really supports us. without the RCAA we'd have imploded like the other bike co-ops around here have.

    Which is odd, because the Bicycle Collective, in Ogden Utah (where I am originally from) always had all sorts of useful donations coming in. we kept our parts bins stocked and had enough donations to turn a profit large enough to be self sustainable.

    No one ever donates a bike to us unless it is a really, really worn out Magna. nothing is given to us until it is completely unusable.

    we then recycle the base metals in the bike and put the money in our account.

    Now, the Collective wasn't getting spiffy new or expensive bikes donated. but we did get old, outdated but safe bikes donated. things that a set of tires and pads could make into a safe commuter for someone who NEEDED it.

    Ogden, UT vs Eureka, CA.

    go figure.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    201
    Programs - Plan B: The New Orleans Community Bike Project

    We have Plan B. I built a beater bike there. Cool concept. Ours is in an artsy district where a lot of local artist use bikes as their only means of transportation.

    Also, I get **** from people from every time I go in there because I look and dress like a complete square. I have thick skin, so it doesn't bother me too much. But I find it interesting that these artist and gutter punk types seem to be the most judgmental people I run into in New Orleans.

  7. #7
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,749
    We don't have any local co-ops like this, but a shop recently opened up that has a customer work station in the back of the shop. Park stand and Park tools, all free to use to install the new parts and bits that you just purchased. Not running right while you are on campus? Stop in and use it anyway. I feel like they would offer assistance to a customer if they were unsure of what to do or how to do it if they were working on their bike in that stand.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    187
    my parents live in boise and i make it a point to stop at the BBP at least once while i'm there. i love what they do!

    i really wish there was something like that in las vegas where i live.

    when i visited portland, they had shops called citybikes (?) where you could sift through parts bins, but i don't think you could work on them yourself.

  9. #9
    guy
    Reputation: Kleebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    357
    I volunteer with the Village Bicycle Co-op. We are a pretty new organization but the community has been very supportive so far. We are actually overwhelmed with bikes that have been donated to us at the moment that we needed to annex a large storage room from the city in order to house all of our donated bikes. We fix them up and sell them at a steep discount to fund the Co-op and thus have managed to be self-sustainable within the first two years. The police department helped us get started by giving us all of their bikes that had been picked up and were left unclaimed.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    go to their site here: A Nonprofit Bicycle Cooperative

    hey, I was over in Boise for my daughter's soccer and was able to stop in to the Boise Bicycle Project for the first time. Only had a few minutes, but was duly impressed. Any one else ever get over there? I see we have a couple boise area members on the forum.

    the BBP has a shop that you can use by the hour, or buy a membership and use when you want. It also has bins of used parts, frames, forks, etc. that you can use to install on your commuter, along with some limited new parts such as fenders, bars a few racks etc. Very cool! I looked for a stem for my old Fisher, and looked at their bars, but did not find exactly what i needed. Still, I need to get back there and check it out some more to see what other mods I might do to my commuter.

    Any one else go to this place or one like it?

    I haven't yet signed up as a member (not sure why not, actually), but have been very impressed with the level of outreach and involvement in the Boise cycling community of the Boise Bicycle Project. It gives me hope!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by western_rider's_dad View Post
    I haven't yet signed up as a member (not sure why not, actually), but have been very impressed with the level of outreach and involvement in the Boise cycling community of the Boise Bicycle Project. It gives me hope!
    I understand from reading the page that it was started by a couple of fire fighting "hotshots" during the 2007 fire season, which was a big one. Pretty cool! I am up in Hailey, so I don't know if a membership would pencil out for me. But I would like to support it at least with purchases, and perhaps some shop rental time.

    Are you a Boise MTB'er? I presume so. I have not bicycled much in your area, though I am aware of a few of the trails. Hope to some time soon. do you get up to the Wood River Valley for cycling at all?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    225
    No open shop. Closest we have are city provided work stands in parking garages and MUPs and a local shop has a maintenance club you can join for I think $60 a year, gets you access to a stocked work area and a discount on parts. Its right next to the mechanic's work station so they'll give you pointers if you are struggling.

    The only no profit we have is RCommunity Bikes: R Community Bikes: Rochester, New York They rehab bikes for the needy. Good place to pick up a cheap bike as they'll sell the higher end bikes to the public to support the mission. Recently they built up some special hand pedaled bikes for the disabled. They do a lot of good work.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    I understand from reading the page that it was started by a couple of fire fighting "hotshots" during the 2007 fire season, which was a big one. Pretty cool! I am up in Hailey, so I don't know if a membership would pencil out for me. But I would like to support it at least with purchases, and perhaps some shop rental time.

    Are you a Boise MTB'er? I presume so. I have not bicycled much in your area, though I am aware of a few of the trails. Hope to some time soon. do you get up to the Wood River Valley for cycling at all?

    I'm in Boise, not sure I consider myself an MTB'er exclusively. I like riding the trails here, but I like road-riding as well, and plan on getting back into some touring also. I haven't ridden up in the Wood River Valley for many years, but am considering doing a shorter tour this summer, starting in Sun Valley, riding back to Boise. Not sure if I'll map out a route on pavement or dirt or a combination for that one.

    You have a beautiful area to ride up there!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by western_rider's_dad View Post
    I'm in Boise, not sure I consider myself an MTB'er exclusively. I like riding the trails here, but I like road-riding as well, and plan on getting back into some touring also. I haven't ridden up in the Wood River Valley for many years, but am considering doing a shorter tour this summer, starting in Sun Valley, riding back to Boise. Not sure if I'll map out a route on pavement or dirt or a combination for that one.

    You have a beautiful area to ride up there!
    I was also considering the hot pools trip between Ketchum and Boise. I think that is pretty much dirt road. Not sure we can pull it off in terms of timing this year, but it is on the list. We are also planning a San Juans island tour with the family. Which is one reason I am fixing up my old mountain bike to be a commuter/touring bike to haul stuff.

    I also road bike some and like that too, but more on the shoulder seasons before the mountain biking is good up here. You should come on up and enjoy!

    It always looks to me, when we are down there for soccer, that Boise has a great cycling community with lots of cyclists. I hope to try the trails down there at some point, though I think I would shoot for early or late, as I am not a fan of riding in the heat.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Had an awesome afternoon yesterday at the Boise Bicycle Project. Project details here: https://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/my...l#post11265347

    They were quite helpful, and I accomplished a TON in an afternoon of things I was wanting to do to my "commuto-cross" bike.

    Jan was a champ helping me get things done. Thanks BBP!




  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Had an awesome afternoon yesterday at the Boise Bicycle Project. Project details here: https://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/my...l#post11265347

    They were quite helpful, and I accomplished a TON in an afternoon of things I was wanting to do to my "commuto-cross" bike.

    Jan was a champ helping me get things done. Thanks BBP!




    That's looking really good!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by western_rider's_dad View Post
    That's looking really good!
    Thanks! I am enjoying it!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jhmeathead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I'm staff at the Bike Kitchen in Eureka, California. we're working hard and we've got virtually every tool a real shop has. But we are aching for donations. People are always happy to come and steal. or come and get a steal. but no one in our community really supports us. without the RCAA we'd have imploded like the other bike co-ops around here have.

    Which is odd, because the Bicycle Collective, in Ogden Utah (where I am originally from) always had all sorts of useful donations coming in. we kept our parts bins stocked and had enough donations to turn a profit large enough to be self sustainable.

    No one ever donates a bike to us unless it is a really, really worn out Magna. nothing is given to us until it is completely unusable.

    we then recycle the base metals in the bike and put the money in our account.

    Now, the Collective wasn't getting spiffy new or expensive bikes donated. but we did get old, outdated but safe bikes donated. things that a set of tires and pads could make into a safe commuter for someone who NEEDED it.

    Ogden, UT vs Eureka, CA.

    go figure.

    It that were all those bikes are chained up on 25th street across from lucky slice? Im lucky to live on 24th by the avenues so the Park way trails are right behind my house.

Similar Threads

  1. Where do you go to buy a bike in Boise?
    By mfa81 in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 07:16 AM
  2. in Boise, missing my fat bike!
    By Shark in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 08:55 PM
  3. Visiting Boise and bringing at least one bike!
    By getagrip in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM
  4. Fat Bike rentals in Boise
    By cxfl in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
  5. Boise Bike Swap
    By BoiseBoy in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.