To Bling or not to Bling?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

To Bling or not to Bling?

I am building a Surly Ogre to be my commuter, bike packing, loaded tourer, only form of transportation rig. I know what parts I'm going to build with but I find myself wanting to use annodized parts because this is the first bike I have ever built from the ground up and want to make it "mine" and not look like every other one on the road. Given the fact that it will be ridden daily in all weather I will be using quality parts. Plus I am a gear head and just like nice stuff. I guess my concern is that using annodized parts may attract more attention and attract the thieves. This is my spec:

XT shifters, derailleurs, brakes
    SLX crankset, cassette chain
    Hadley hubs
    Velocity P35 rims
    Jones loop bar
    Tubus rear rack
    CK headset and BB

I am not looking for recommendations on alternative parts as much as just asking for thoughts on if it is a bad idea to use red parts instead of black. I currently live in a small mountain town and don't think it would be an issue but am considering a move to Boise and would be a bit more worried about it there. Any thoughts? Thanks.

banned
    Nov 2011
    If you want to get your bike jacked then go ahead and do it. Remember you will be using it as a commuter on the streets right? It would be better to keep your bike as low key as possible.

There are always people scouting for nice expensive stuff to take, and the last thing you want is to get a weapon pulled on you and your bike taken away.

mtbr member
    Boise is a much safer place for bikes than many places. It all depends on the risk you are willing to take depending on where you are. I live in a place where there's as little risk as you'll find and I like having other bike geeks admire my bike. But I'd be on a 80's Huffy if I lived in NYC (sorry NYC guys!)

Often I think most thefts are not from people who know the value of various parts (Brooks saddles excluded-those are major bait). I think blingy attracts thefts more. They may know XT or Brooks= more $ but I doubt most of them know as much as us bike geeks.
    Flavor of the month matters too. BMX bikes were serious theft bait until flashy fixies took first place. I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet subdued colors and dorky things like bells and such will help deter thefts.

Another thing to consider is other risks. Your quality of bike isn't going to change the fact that the driver behind you is texting but one is going to financially hurt more than the other.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    BMX bikes were serious theft bait until flashy fixies took first place. I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet subdued colors and dorky things like bells and such will help deter thefts.
    I can't understand why all of the sudden fixies are a new fad among the youngsters.

Here in SoCal you literally see them on every corner. Why would anyone want to ride one of those fugly things? They're ugly, feminine, and above all extremely impractical. Get a real road bike, not one of those kid's toys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There are many reasons to ride a fixie, actually.

The first and foremost is simplicity, followed by ease of maintenance and weight. Bikes without derailleurs, extra gears, cables, etc, are in a weight class all their own.

Then there are the fringe benefits: better overall fitness, better understanding of braking traction, etc. And aesthetic benefits; the lines of the bike are far cleaner without cable bends and doodads sticking off them. I'm not bashing geared bikes, but give it a shot.

For what it's worth, though, you won't find many good fixies that you don't build yourself, and I wouldn't trust my life to someone who built the bike at wally world.

Anyway, OP: If you are using the bike as a general transport bike, I wouldn't bling it out, or you are going to be looking over your shoulder every time you stop somewhere to pick something up. I have a nicer bike that I use when I am not planning on stopping somewhere, or where I can bring the bike inside, and a beater that I use to run errands or hang out. Not a whole lot of people are going to be interested in stealing a Varsity. Pick up an old 10 speed from a garage sale for cheap, add a rack/fenders and use that for errands.

You'd be surprised how much your quality of life can suck when you're worried about your bike walking off all the time.

Moderator Moderator
    I wouldn't have thought Boise was a hotbed of bike theft, but on Craigslist alone 17 listed under "stolen" in the last month (several from garages). Everything from the kid's pink bike to fixies, BMX, commuters, & MTBs, so it doesn't seem like the thieves are targeting any special bikes, just a crime of opportunity. Lock it up! Bling can make it more attractive, but also more distinctive to locate. A friend's son almost "stole back" a look-alike bike that wasn't his - luckily he called the shop he got it from and they told him they had not stocked a bike with that serial number.

mtbr member
    Do it. If you don't get it out of your system, for better or worse you will always wish you had. If it gets pinched so be it, it's just a sad fact of life these days. And as someone else mentioned, you can keep something a bit less likely to get stolen for those occasions where your bike is likely to be left in high risk situations.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Just the fact that itís a Surly Ogre makes it stand out from the rest of the bikes you see out there. But, yes, I am guilty of spending way too much money at purelycustom.com on bling-centric accessories.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Just Ride
    Bling a MTB or even a road bike if you want, but I wouldn't bling out a commuter. As it's something you'll be leaving locked unattended.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks for everyone's thoughts. So it sounds like the concensus is that the quality of components don't necessarily bring attention as much as the color?
    Either way, on the bright side, I found out that my renters insurance will cover my bike even if it is stolen off premises, locked or not. Not saying I would leave my bike around unlocked but that may be the peace of mind that allows me to build it as I want, lock it up tight, and if sh*t happens than I guess I will take the money and do it all over again.
    So, FYI everyone may want to check with your renters/homeowners insurance and see if that applies for you. Could be a game changer.

mtbr member

bling or no bling

I currently commute on a Salsa El Mariachi with decent components but nothing to "blingy". I would look into something like Pitlocks so people can't run off with your QR wheels and other components. and a really good lock. These won't stop your bike for getting stolen necessarily but they will help as most thieves are looking for the easy pickings.

since 4/10/2009
    if you keep it to a minimum, you should be okay. go too flashy, though, and you increase the odds of theft.

I put a couple purely custom bits on my commuter, but it's mostly just a black and white bike.

I also have very few branded parts with logos, so it doesn't look like much to a casual observer. a smart cyclist would know what they're looking at, but most will not. It's also super dorky with funny mustache handlebars and full coverage fenders.

mtbr member
    My commuter is a single speed. I live in Sacramento which is about the same as Boise in size. I use my bike around town and when out at the bars. I have a good u lock and haven't had a problem yet. I'm also the type of person that isn't going to worry much about getting my bike stolen. I will leave my bikes on the roof rack with the little Thule locks which in my opinion would probably be a lot easier to steal. I say build what you want. You'll be happier because that's what you want.

**** Oh, and no need to spend a boat load of money on a "real" road bike. I pass them all the time with my $400 single speed.
    Last edited by B1KER; 07-17-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Yeah, like i said, i have the spec figured out, of the parts listed below my first inclination is to go red but black would be more low key.

Chris king headset and bb
    Hadley hubs
    Velocity p35

This all started because i wanted the velocity p35's and they are available in red. Not a lot of rims are available in anodized red. At that point i figured i might as well just go for it and match all of it.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    **** Oh, and no need to spend a boat load of money on a "real" road bike. I pass them all the time with my $400 single speed.
    You would never pass me, I'll tell you that for sure.

Nice bike though, at least it's not all gheyed out like the fixies the hipsters ride these days.
    Last edited by Trail Addict; 07-17-2012 at 10:47 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    Are you sure the rims are ano red or are they painted?

Velocity offers colors in many of their rims and hipsters go apeshit over them. I think the black reflective ones make more sense for a commuter. My Dyads are painted and all of the deep v's on the hipster fixies in town are painted.

Rims get dingy with road grime pretty quick. I got red ano nips and you can hardly tell after a couple of rides in dry conditions because of the grime. Not really worth it for the color and not sure how much of a diff the small reduction in weight made vs brass. lighter spokes with brass nips would probably have been a bigger diff

mtbr member
    Yeah, they are anno. The painted ones are called electric red. Since velocity moved their production to the U.S. this year they are offering their colors in anno. Not sure if they will discontinue the painted colors or not. I wouldn't do painted personally, except the reflective, that does make sense but they don't offer it in the P35. But the 2.35 big apples I will be running has the reflective strip. I saw a picture of an Ogre with the red rims somewhere and it looks sweet!

Definitely going brass nips with DT comp spokes, probably white, but damn DT is proud of those white spokes. They aren't cheap!
    Last edited by akt42; 07-18-2012 at 05:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by akt42 View Post
    Yeah, they are anno. The painted ones are called electric red. Since velocity moved their production to the U.S. this year they are offering their colors in anno. Not sure if they will discontinue the painted colors or not. I wouldn't do painted personally, except the reflective, that does make sense but they don't offer it in the P35. But the 2.35 big apples I will be running has the reflective strip. I saw a picture of an Ogre with the red rims somewhere and it looks sweet!

Definitely going brass nips with DT comp spokes, probably white, but damn DT is proud of those white spokes. They aren't cheap!
    Cheap color spokes custom cut up to 300mm here.(not sure about the quality) :
    (They will cut any uncut style spokes they sell up to 300mm I think.Call them:
    Primo XL 14 Gauge Forged Spoke at Danscomp

Use good quality nipples like the ones sold here:
    Spokes & Nipples - Wheelbuilder.com

Use plenty of grease building with alloy nipples. You might want to use wheelbuilder's spokes as well.

For bling parts I go on ebay and put the color & "mtb" in the ebay search.
    (Example: gold mtb...red mtb...etc.) Try that.
    A good bling website is torontocycles.com
    ...or fairwheelbikes.com
    ...or webcyclery.com
    ...or sunrisecyclery.com
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    May 2006
    keep it quiet and undercover.....Go ahead and put on the good build parts...just don't advertise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    You would never pass me, I'll tell you that for sure.

Nice bike though, at least it's not all gheyed out like the fixies the hipsters ride these days.
    Thanks for the compliment. I don't pass everyone, but it's a personal game when riding to pass as many geared bikes as possible. A lot of times it's a matter of gearing though. I'm running 48x16 which just can't compete with people's big ring.

Otherwise, thanks for the links to the spokes. I'm going to build some new wheels for my mtb. I originally was thinking about the spinergy wheels you see on eBay with the white spooks but they aren't tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    I currently commute on a Salsa El Mariachi with decent components but nothing to "blingy". I would look into something like Pitlocks so people can't run off with your QR wheels and other components. and a really good lock. These won't stop your bike for getting stolen necessarily but they will help as most thieves are looking for the easy pickings.
    I really dig the El Mar and the Fargo for that matter. The Ogre hits the sweet spot between the 2 for me. Was dead set on a Fargo till I came across the Ogre. Still wanted a Fargo until one day I took my dog to the park on my bike and realized that a dog on a leash and drop bars just wouldn't work as well as flats. The 1 hand control, 1 finger braking, and 1 finger shifting all without moving my hands can't be beat. I can appreciate the multiple hand positions afforded by drops so I will compromie with a Jones Loop bar.
    Woodchippers do look badass though.

The Hadley Through bolt axle with allen heads instead of QR is part of the reason I went with the Hadley's. And of course the quality.

Fat-tired Roadie
    After moving to Seattle and swearing I would never get one, I finally got a fixie. Sort of.

It's seen way more velodrome than street time.

I did ride a freewheeling singlespeed when I lived in NYC. Actually, a really great option for a bike that's exposed to theft and vandalism. It started out as kind of a crappy 10-speed, and I was pleasantly surprised by how quick and fun a bike it became when I threw out most of the drivetrain.

My current city is hilly and I don't like to be committed to attacking every climb if I just want to go home from school. So I'm on a geared bike. Actually a pretty nice one, but as others have suggested, I haven't done anything bling to it. Even de-evolved to downtube shifters when the Rival shifter took a dump. I try to reserve my desire for bling for bikes I compete on.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I have mine set up with freewheel and brakes. I don't see the need to go fixie. I like running the single speed to push me a little harder. I think if I had gears I'd let my lack of motivation to get to work pick the easy gears in the headwind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrain View Post
    I had never seen the pitlocks before, those things are wicked. Does anybody know if they will work with the Hadley through bolt setup or will i need the qr version? I see they have through bolt for Rohloff but im not familiar with that setup.

mtbr member
    I thought I saw a regular bolt version on their site. I must agree with you, they are pretty cool. I never saw them before either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    if you feel the need for safety, go for it
    if you feel the need for bling, go for it.
    all at your own will and discretion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure if anybody has seen this interview... but this bike thief that was interviewed goes against all conventional thought of stealing the nicest bike. A lot of what he says does make sense. If you like your bike than get a good lock. Make it hard for a thief and chances are you will have a bike when you return.

This coming from a guy who's had 3 bikes stolen :/

Members who have read this thread: 0