Black or Tan fenders with white frame?- Mtbr.com
    Thatís no moon.

Black or Tan fenders with white frame?

Hi guys, I'm setting up a Kona Unit as my around town errand bike. I've added gears and a rack and now I'd like some fenders. I found a smokin' deal on these Planet Bike bamboo fenders ($60!). However, I'm not sold on the color combo with my white frame.

I originally just wanted all black on this bike. But I had an old set of silver mavics that I needed to use for my 1x9 conversion. So maybe a bit of tan works with the silver and white? Can't afford custom wooden fenders, so it's either these or the black plastic ones.

BTW, which works better over the long haul, plastic or wood? Seems like wood might split somewhere eventually...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black or Tan fenders with white frame?-fenders1.jpg  

Black or Tan fenders with white frame?-fenders2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Get some black stain and rub it in. It'll look boss.

mtbr member
    Black AND Tan. Reminiscent of a lovely drink, and zebra style humbucker guitar pickups. Win win!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The bamboo fenders look to be a flat profile, if that is the case plastic or metal fenders might be more effective. IMHO, the wood (or grass/ bamboo) fenders will always look sweeter than the obviously industrial materials.

I have been running a set of soft maple fenders on my Bosanova for a few months, a former colleague ran the white oak fenders we bent up for his Cross Check for at least a year before I lost track of him.

Wood or bamboo fenders will eventually crack somewhere, just like the plastic ones will. But they don't have to be expensive. Remember that wood can be stained if you want a different tone or color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black or Tan fenders with white frame?-img_0064.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Wood or bamboo look cool. Maybe a few extra coats of clear coat would help them last longer. I'd get a set if I lived in a drier and warmer climate. With white anything goes.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I think hammered silver fenders would look nice as well.

Thatís no moon.
    Thanks for all the replies! After sleeping on it, I think I like 'em. Rustedthrough, they actually have a bit of curve to them. Maybe not quite as much as the plastic.

I'm not too fond of shiny black stuff anyway. I was going to put some 3M flat black vinyl car wrap on the plastic fenders to get rid of the shine, but that's kind of a hassle. It's going to be enough work fitting these on a frame that definitely wasn't designed for fenders...