• 04-19-2015
    mtbxplorer
    Biking while black in Tampa
    In Florida, police are waging a war on black bicycle riders, investigators say - The Washington Post

Please make note of the forum guidelines if you are considering making any negative commentary... Mtbr Posting Guidelines
  • 04-19-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    I have a few friends who live up in the area, and typically ride through the lower income neighborhoods to work, play, and the store, and several have made comments of a similar nature. I live in a lower income area of Tampa Bay, and I won't say that such behavior is commonplace, but it certainly isn't rare, on both sides. Because of this, I have several pictures of my bike on my phone, including serial number and of me with the shop owner the day I got it.
  • 04-19-2015
    BrianMc
    The seizing of property suspected to have been acquired by criminal activity or used in criminal activity with no more than the suspicion of the officer is being abused in many jurisdictions these days. The phone idea is good when showing the bike being purchased. We did not have crap like this when I bought my bike.

Anybody could photo the SN off the BB. I have a record of it. That does not prove I own it, though I do. Before the repaint, I had the university registration sticker, and that sort of official registration as proof of ownership would be worth its cost in some jurisdictions now, it seems. I don't think I can prove I own my bike unless the store I bought it from has good records going back about 35 years. If the statute of limitations is 7 years, I do have the e-mail orders for the bike parts describing it, and so showing I have owned it for at least 7 years.

Using that kind of logic about suspicious origins or use, police could impound the clothes that you are wearing then charge you with indecent exposure. This would really rankle if riding fully legally and with no history of being a suspicious character.
  • 04-19-2015
    Texan-n-Fla
    The saving grace of the photo of the sn is that it is dated the same day that I bought it.