"Bikes May Use Full Lane" Signs- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

"Bikes May Use Full Lane" Signs

Do you have any of these? I saw a news story about their debut in Burlington VT, and I thought, "Great!, Best thing since sliced bread!", but the anti's are all over it..

Burlington road signs: cars and bikes must share the road - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

FairfaxTimes.com: New state road signs spark confusion for cyclists, motorists

mtbr member
    Yeah, they are around Boston, too. Check your state laws - chances are it was legal anyway before the signs were put up.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    They are starting to show up in Madison, Wisconsin. Cars may use full lane also. I have yet to see it as a good thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    As far as I know drivers are allowed to honk, yell, and shake fists at cyclists. Maybe they should put up signs for that too.

Jamis Dragon 29 Race

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona_CT View Post
    Check your state laws - chances are it was legal anyway before the signs were put up.
    Yeah, most likely. But I think its a good idea because so many people (drivers and riders alike) don`t realize it. It sounds better to me than unenforceable 3 foot laws. I don`t think I`ve seen any of those signs personally, but there was one in that video from a couple months ago where the bus parked in a hit-N-run mobile on a PA bridge.

CB of the East
    They have them in Portland. None around around in rural areas. If there is a really bad, dangerous, potholed, skinny 55MPH zone on a blind curve they will throw up a "Share The Road" sign instead of fixing the real problem.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    There are a few roads in Sunnyvale, CA where full-lane usage for cyclists is indicated… problem is that the town is mostly immigrants from two particular countries, so their driving style is that of “rocks flowing around water in a river”, so it’s not exactly ideal from the getgo. Of course, the signs probably confuse them as well.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Indiana law states that a cyclist has the right to the full lane but should ride as far right as practicable. When a shoulder permits, I will use it even though it is not to be used for vehicular traffic. Numerous police have observed me and not even a talking to, so my interpretation is accepted.

Practicable includes surviving and not being run over, so I use the Wisconsin rule of up to 3 feet from the curb or side of the road to my widest point, my shoulder. They are supposed to give three feet from my shoulder, though many do it from center of mass. That forces those passing to use the left lane and not squeeze two cars and a bike into a 20 foot wide road.

My son rides in Beijing, where he flings English and Mandarin expletives to motorists and cyclists alike as they cut each other off as SOP. So it could be worse. Leopold's air horns make a lot of sense, in light of his 'orientation'.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    I must always remember to not read the comments section under cycling related news stories.

We've got the signs...where the city has created new bike lanes that they were too lazy to bother making safe:

from The Charrette » Blog Archive » Abandonment Issues on the 76 Avenue and 106 Street Bike Lanes

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Leopold's air horns make a lot of sense, in light of his 'orientation'.

BrianMc
    LOL, I’m “disorientated”, actually.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Me and my group understand that riding in the middle of the road increases your chances to get rear-ended.

I do appreciate the full-lane signs, and I will take advantage of it when the conditions require it. But most of the time I ride on the side of a lane.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    There are a few roads in Sunnyvale, CA where full-lane usage for cyclists is indicated… problem is that the town is mostly immigrants from two particular countries, so their driving style is that of “rocks flowing around water in a river”, so it’s not exactly ideal from the getgo. Of course, the signs probably confuse them as well.

I'm guessing, Canada and Greenland?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I haven't checked at BikeForums, but I am guessing that the advocacy guys over there are petitioning city council to make it illegal to post a sign like that, on the grounds that bikes always have a right to the lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Do you have any of these? I saw a news story about their debut in Burlington VT, and I thought, "Great!, Best thing since sliced bread!", but the anti's are all over it..

Burlington road signs: cars and bikes must share the road - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

FairfaxTimes.com: New state road signs spark confusion for cyclists, motorists

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So if a bicyclist decides to take the whole lane in a 1-mile passing zone, the motorist must ride behind them for a mile at 12mph? I don't see this ending well.

I see enough bicyclists unnecessarily using the whole lane or riding 2 abreast when there is traffic, I'd hate to invite more. When I ride on the road, I really try to be respectful of motorists and ride to the side of the road if conditions permit. I don't want to add to the bad name that bicyclists get. The more bicycle-haters, the more difficult it will be to get bicycle-friendly policies.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    We've got the signs...where the city has created new bike lanes that they were too lazy to bother making safe:

Oy. If the doors don`t get ya, the squeeze will. Yuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    So if a bicyclist decides to take the whole lane in a 1-mile passing zone, the motorist must ride behind them for a mile at 12mph? I don't see this ending well.

I see enough bicyclists unnecessarily using the whole lane or riding 2 abreast when there is traffic, I'd hate to invite more. When I ride on the road, I really try to be respectful of motorists and ride to the side of the road if conditions permit. I don't want to add to the bad name that bicyclists get. The more bicycle-haters, the more difficult it will be to get bicycle-friendly policies.
    Miyata, in most places cyclists already have the legal right to a whole lane when needed whether the signs are there or not. The signs are there for the benefit of people who don`t realize that. As to whether or not people SHOULD take the whole lane in any given situation, it`s a whole can of worms. Most laws are pretty vague when it comes to laying down when and where a cyclist can do that, but I don`t know a better solution than to let the cyclist decide on what feels safest for himself and let the judge decide whether the cyclist or the ticketing officer was right on the occasions that it comes to that. Sucks, but what else can you do? Not everybody`s "practicable" s going to be the same.

I`ve heard that some riders go overboard with that idea, and I believe it happens, but personally I haven`t seen it (don`t live in an area with a high cyclist density). Don`t you think riders who take the lane when you or I might not already know they have the legal right to do so? I`m betting they invariably do. And maybe they`re right to do it, while we`re overly timid- it`s always a judgement call.

Moderator Moderator

Rocks May Take Full Lane

Yesterday on the interstate within site of my work exit - an estimated 150 tons of rock fell into the road. Some pieces too big to move with heavy equipment, they needed to bust it up. Luckily nobody was in the way when it fell. Glad I was pedaling the back roads and trails...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Bikes May Use Full Lane"  Signs-williamstown-rockslide.jpg  

CB of the East
    I think that would qualify for debris in the bike lane, you may use the travel lane.

since 4/10/2009
    when I take a lane, I typically only do it for a short amount of time. where I live, shoulders are not commonly available in town, so I do not have the "luxury" of that option. out of town, however, there are quite a few. and in TX, you're allowed to use them to pass on the right, and it's common courtesy (and legal) here if you're a slow driver on a rural highway, to pull over into the paved shoulder to allow faster drivers to pass. most of the shoulders are fairly clear because people do use them...and there's no winter debris accumulation. since most rural highway speeds are 70mph, it behooves you to use them as a cyclist if they are available.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I prefer to stay off roads that will force me to take the lane in order to not get side swiped. I try to give cars enough room to pass but not so much room that they run me into the curb/ditch. A lot of people driving just don't get that they can slow down for a few seconds while on coming traffic passes, and then pass the cyclist. This seems even worse in no passing zones. Some people are so petrified of crossing that yellow line that they get close to taking out the cyclist instead.

A lot of it is just poor road planning though. That bike lane that newfangled posted looks very similar to the lanes around here. They just aren't designed properly. There are plenty of roads where the shoulder just disappears. There are honestly very few shoulders to begin with. I would like to ride the MUP's, but I almost got hit more times on those than on the road because of intersections.

It is good that cyclists have the right to a full lane.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah we are a pretty bad mish-mash of lanes and road here... My favorite is a bike lane that goes for a good section of the "middle" of town but going up a hill the lane just disappears into a curb. The cyclist is then expected to ride in the 8ft of dirt/mud/debris/goatheads up the hill. The bike lane never picks up again. Unfortunately, it seems our city/road planners are pretty ignorant as they have happenstancely placed lanes around different parts of the city but NONE connect to make a continuous line.

There is a TON of land between Reno>Carson>Minden>Gardnerville that could easily have a great lane/pathway put in to construct one of those SUPERPathways but that will never happen. We will legalize prostitution and gambling but when it comes to outdoor activity, if it doesnt involve one of those then it is VERY hard fought.

tl1
    Bicyclist

You could probably portage that

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Yesterday on the interstate within site of my work exit - an estimated 150 tons of rock fell into the road. Some pieces too big to move with heavy equipment, they needed to bust it up. Luckily nobody was in the way when it fell. Glad I was pedaling the back roads and trails...
    You could probably portage that with a bicycle on your shoulder. Good luck getting around an entire road blocked that way in a car, pickup truck or SUV.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    There is a TON of land between Reno>Carson>Minden>Gardnerville that could easily have a great lane/pathway put in to construct one of those SUPERPathways but that will never happen.
    Oooh, but wouldn`t that be sweet! After the Galena bridge gets paid off ($450 M?), maybe a Reno-Carson bike path. Then get a whole heard of lawyers going on the easements for the "maybe someday" Truckee-Reno trail.

And speaking of dumb bike lanes, have you ever ridden the MUP between Tahoe City and Sugarpine Point?

Members who have read this thread: 0