Biker Down- Mtbr.com

Thread: Biker Down

mtbr member
    May 2006

Biker Down

Coming East on 10 ave.....approaching 8 th street...

Biker down heading north on the right side of 8 st, about 30 feet past the intersection...

Cop tape up, two tradesmen vans inside the tape....cops blocking all access one block away except 10...

Generally means a death or severe injury and a full investigation...

Idiots honking at the bikes....well till they saw all the cops.

Good luck buddy.
    Last edited by jeffscott; 10-12-2012 at 10:03 AM.

weirdo
    Sounds bad. I hope you`re wrong about the significance of that cop tape.

Moderator Moderator
    That would give me the willies. Hope it's not bad news.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cyclist hit by van in downtown core | CTV Calgary News

Well we will see what the biker thinks the facts are....

Traffic frequently runs pale yellows at this location.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cyclist hit by van expected to survive | CTV Calgary News

So now they are looking for witnesses....

Apparently the light was red than suddenly turned green.......

Those lights are also controlled by the fire department, so they can speed up there response times...

But it doesn't sound like there was a FD involvement.

He had to fly abpout 40 feet....the van was blowing a pale yellow at damn good speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    He had to fly abpout 40 feet....the van was blowing a pale yellow at damn good speed.
    Take a look at the dented hood on that van. That was no 5 mph hit! That alone should give investigators a good range on the speed at impact. Many, if not most or all, provinces and state require yielding to vehicles in the intersection or immanent on entering before proceeding on a green. A helmet would likely have only saved some scalp.

In Champaign-Urbana I entered and intersection that was green entering and red out the other side and I was cranking well maybe 25 mph in 48 x 14 at the time. It was on a fast changeover because the sensors did not detect the bike and traffic was on the cross street. I changed routes. So maybe there is a traffic sensing device involved.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So, I hate to be the jerk that points this out, and I really bare no ill feelings toward this guy, and hope the best for him and his family, BUT, eye witnesses claim he (rider) ran a red light, and he was not wearing a helmet...
    Seems like at least part of his current condition is from poor decision-making, and if he would have ridden within the law, and worn a helmet we wouldn't even have this thread right now...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry to hear, hope he makes a full recovery.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33 View Post
    So, I hate to be the jerk that points this out, and I really bare no ill feelings toward this guy, and hope the best for him and his family, BUT, eye witnesses claim he (rider) ran a red light, and he was not wearing a helmet...
    Seems like at least part of his current condition is from poor decision-making, and if he would have ridden within the law, and worn a helmet we wouldn't even have this thread right now...
    Not neccessarily the original reports were he blew the red light.....

But then the cops started looking for more witnesses....

If the Van Heavily loaded plumbing van was stationary at the light how did he accelerate to enough speed to send the guy flying 40 to 50 feet....

Possibly the Van was tring to glide through just has it turned green and the guy on the bike blew the red light.

since 4/10/2009
    I see people trying to time light changes all the time around here. freaks me the fvck out.

I don't do that, but it does happen from time to time that I get to a light right as it changes green. you always have the risk of someone blowing those lights, so car or bike, I'm making sure everybody is stopped before I fully accelerate into the intersection. I'm always covering the brakes ready to stop because plenty of people have run reds in front of me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I see people trying to time light changes all the time around here. freaks me the fvck out.

I don't do that, but it does happen from time to time that I get to a light right as it changes green. you always have the risk of someone blowing those lights, so car or bike, I'm making sure everybody is stopped before I fully accelerate into the intersection. I'm always covering the brakes ready to stop because plenty of people have run reds in front of me.
    That is a good plan.....happens frequently enough around here at rush hour that I expect people to push the yellows as a rule.

I do not always stop but I certainly slow and check every time...every intersection...

I track stand at lights so I do push the green a bit....but only after a detailed check indicates no one is coming ie empty intersection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Not neccessarily the original reports were he blew the red light.....

But then the cops started looking for more witnesses....

If the Van Heavily loaded plumbing van was stationary at the light how did he accelerate to enough speed to send the guy flying 40 to 50 feet....

Possibly the Van was tring to glide through just has it turned green and the guy on the bike blew the red light.
    I'mnot saying the Van driver doesn't share in fault... but the bottom line is, he ain't the one in the hospital right now... As cyclists we should do everything we can to protect ourselves, including proper safety gear, and safe riding habits. Once we have taken ALL of those measure sand something happens like this, then we can start to point the finger elsewhere.

Again, this is NOT to say 'he deserved it' or 'serves him right.' No one deserves that pain and suffering, least of all his family. And again, I genuinely hope he pulls through.

mtbr member
    J C I hope the dude comes out better than before, automobiles are dangerous. We are all out there on the front lines of this battle.

Members who have read this thread: 0