Bikecommuter Housing??- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Very cool!

How do you find all of these articles? Keep up the good work, I enjoy a good read almost every morning while I drink my coffee before I dig into my work.

Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^I find them in Google News. Google something like cyclist or bikecommuter and pick the news option up top (sometimes it's listed under "more"). All newspapers, etc. do not come up, but a lot do.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I find them in Google News. Google something like cyclist or bikecommuter and pick the news option up top (sometimes it's listed under "more"). All newspapers, etc. do not come up, but a lot do.
    Ha! I could have told you that

That is pretty interresting, but I`m really surprised that there`s apparently a whole slew of projects going in like that. I could see one or two...
    Well, I sure won`t knock it- I lived in barracks for four years and a downtown apartment for one year and that was plenty for me. Those guys need all the help they can get.
    Recalculating....

since 4/10/2009
    it's not a widespread thing. I have never personally SEEN any bike specific facilities at apartments. the best I've HEARD of before this article were bike lockers, and mostly in college dorms.

also, it's totally possible to do some creative engineering to store bikes and gear in an apartment.

This is a rack I built in apartment I lived in. It was in the 2nd bedroom/office. The rack wedged between the floor and ceiling and I used felt pads to keep from marring the paint. I had to build it in place and disassemble it in place because it was too big to leave the room.

weirdo
    Damn, Nate- that looks great!
    Maybe you should contract out to the guys doing the bike rooms at the apartment complexes
    Recalculating....

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Maybe you should contract out to the guys doing the bike rooms at the apartment complexes
    that thing was ALMOST freestanding, too. some design modifications and I'm pretty sure it could have been. there was a huge corner desk (you can see it out of the corner of the picture) and a queen sized futon in that room, too. that was the room my wife and I slept in, believe it or not.

the animals got the other bedroom. I refused to share a room with the cat back then (allergies).

so something like that could fit in most apartments, I think.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I have to agree, that is nifty!

When I grew up in the 60's & 70's, our apt. building had a "carriage room" in the basement, accessible by a ramp, where people could store those big old baby carriages and bikes. It eventually went extinct, along with the "milk machine" next to it, where you could by a quart of milk from a big vending machine.

mtbr member
    ^^ Yes, nice. More thought in it than most realize. I hope that sleeping bag in place is not "the couch" should you say, place beer or otherwise chilled hands on the better half sleeping peacefully until that moment, as some here are wont to do. or other deed meriting such action. Talkabout lettingit go to your head.

BrianMc

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ Yes, nice. More thought in it than most realize. I hope that sleeping bag in place is not "the couch" should you say, place beer or otherwise chilled hands on the better half sleeping peacefully until that moment, as some here are wont to do. or other deed meriting such action. Talkabout lettingit go to your head.

BrianMc
    ha! not cold hands, cold feet. and it happens every night this time of year whether I want it to, or not. I don't get kicked out of bed for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0