Bike To Work Day “LOL” moment- Mtbr.com
    M8 M12 M15 deez nuts

Bike To Work Day “LOL” moment

I won’t bother retyping (duh: copy-and-pasting) word for word the details. Instead, please see this link: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=212407

Entertaining read.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

smell the saddle...
    Interesting story. Wrong date though, next Friday is the official Bike to work day.

Fat-tired Roadie
    At least they're riding.

I don't own a fixie and doubt that I wear the right things to look like a hipster even if I did, but I can imagine myself doing the same thing in full road kit on my road racing bike. If I'm out riding and my legs are zapped, maybe because I was racing the day before or earlier in the day, or I've just done with a speed workout or am finishing up a really long ride, I try to be pretty disciplined about not pushing my pace too much. So even if someone ahead of me is riding a bike I think I "should" be passing, if they start defending their position, I try to leave my racing on the course.

So should I leave a little in the tank when I work out, just in case I run into a person on a utility bike, who could very well be a racer himself, and need to prove that I'm worthy of my bike? I'd rather just enjoy the tow when the opportunity presents itself.

I think your assumptions about these guys are probably correct... But you never know - maybe one or both of them had a track day the night before. I bet I'd have trouble getting down the stairs from my bedroom to the kitchen the morning after doing that, let alone passing a guy who's doing 18mph into a 10mph headwind up a slight grade.

Nice mention of the dollar value of your other bike, by the way.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

smell the saddle...
    Check out this thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=604884) for an interesting hipster discussion. I plugged a “Hipster definitions by hipsters” glossary which I found pretty amusing also.

mtbr member
    Yeah it's all good as long as they're pedaling... unless of course they start giving me a hard time. IMHO probably better to hate the haters, and not those that share the a similar passion.

mtbr member
    I saw a guy on the bike trail towing a trailer this morning as I rode to work. He was riding an old mountain bike, towing what looked to be a fairly large trailer (I think it was a double even though there was only one kid in there). He was wearing a baggy t shirt and shorts. I was on my plastic wonder-bike, equipped with a double and 10 spd drivetrain, full spandex kit, no trailer.

I crushed his ass.
    :wq

mtbr member
    In a Century two years ago, a tall 6' 3-4" rider who raced in his over 60's group rode his fendered and mirrored commuter Bianchi and a bunch of very nice road bikes without so much as a reflector, with guys averaging only a bit more than half his age couldn't maintain a peleton with him. He was too fast.

Essentially it was the apocyphal story of the guy on the commuter bike rolling past all the racers. Except these were racer wannabes, he was not only decades older bur not of the 'best' bike racing physique, power-to-weight-wise. There's just nothing like a decades of conditioning.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I rarely get passed on my Fargo in Seattle on hills (up or down) with a dynamo hub, 700x50mm tyres, full fenders, rack, and panniers with 40 odd pounds of daily gear, plus myself. I catch and pass people pretty often too. I don't even stand up. Worst part is, I'm not nearly as fit as I used to be. I should be kicking more people's asses.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Interesting story. Wrong date though, next Friday is the official Bike to work day.
    Well, everything here in the greater San Jose-San Francisco Bay Area seems to point to yesterday (13th May 2010) having been Bike To Work Day.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 05-15-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Well, everything here in the greater San Jose-San Francisco Bay Area seems to point to yesterday (17th May 2010) having been Bike To Work Day.
    It's weird because the League of American Bicyclists plan and set the 'official' date for Bike to Work Day, which falls during Bike to Work Week. Then cities and regions plan their own Day, apparently during that week or not, either using the LoAB day or their own.

This year bike to work week is 5/17-5/21. SF/Bay Area seems to have chosen 5/13, Sacramento area uses 5/20, etc. It's goofy.

http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bikemonth/
    :wq

Fat-tired Roadie
    http://www.itsnotarace.org/

Some days, I have a FCN of 2. When I go to school on Monday, it'll be 9. I'm the same guy, with almost the same power output (although I'm most likely riding at a much lower level of effort if I'm on my commuter.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0