Bike trailer for commute/errands- Mtbr.com
    My Brain Hurts!

Bike trailer for commute/errands

Hey ya'll!

I am going to get a trailer for my soon to be purchased commuter, city, sport bike (Giant Sedona).

Anyway, my local bike shop is a big help, and he is looking for a trailer, but I am wondering about a few things. And I thought those of you who have trailers or commute with them wouldbe a help too. I have a few questions..

First, center pull or side pull? Pro's and cons of each...

What trailer do you have and why did you buy it? Pros and cons of it?

Lastly anyone build their own?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I have a trailer that I built myself. I went with a side pull for versatility (I have a variety of bikes from rigid to FS) and have both chainstay clamp and skewer attachment options (to deal with the range of riding options).

My design and build are heavy, though it rolls well. I built it for versatility and durability (heck, I could likely haul a hide-a-bed around if I wanted to and my legs would take it). It is not going to garner any points as a commuting trailer, though...for that you want something a lot lighter.

Here's some pics...

Here's the trailer itself (with the chainstay clamp hitch on it)...

As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    What trailer do you have and why did you buy it? Pros and cons of it?
    I have a bob trailer (the one without suspension). I don't use it for commuting, but for trail rides where i carry tools, and am going to use it for camping/rail trails.

I bought this brand mainly because it seems to most popular, and it's readily available (bought it from MEC in calgary). Also, spare parts are also readily available. This is good, because one con is that I've already bent the pins and axle. Next time I use it, I'm carrying spares.

On the trails it's quite amazing what it travels over (you can ride over quite technical parts), so I would think on pavement you wouldn't even notice it.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Well, I have a trailer that I built myself. I went with a side pull for versatility (I have a variety of bikes from rigid to FS) and have both chainstay clamp and skewer attachment options (to deal with the range of riding options).

My design and build are heavy, though it rolls well. I built it for versatility and durability (heck, I could likely haul a hide-a-bed around if I wanted to and my legs would take it). It is not going to garner any points as a commuting trailer, though...for that you want something a lot lighter.

Here's some pics...

Here's the trailer itself (with the chainstay clamp hitch on it)...

I found the original thread on your build of the trailer, you have a good one there!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    I found the original thread on your build of the trailer, you have a good one there!
    Would you please give us a link to the trailer build thread? Thank you! -GT2005

weirdo
    For what its worth, bikeforums.net has a lot of trailer info on their Utility Bikes section, including two stickies.
    http://bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261

Double-metric mtb man
    I only added the reflectors and light for the occasional grocery run with the Mrs. on the bikes when we could be coming home after dark...too many insane drivers around here.

Double-metric mtb man
    Here's the link to my thread in the Western Canada Forum where I document the build...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=228672

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have a bob (w/o suspension) that I used to bike across Oregon on paved roads one summer. To stand and climb it takes some relearning and it can get hairy on fast downhills. It has some practical uses and it carries weight really well.

Still, unless you are touring or carrying something heavy or awkward, I'd prefer to use a huge backpack or a rack system. I guess it really depends on your goals? What do you plan on doing with the trailer?

Apr 2007
    Commuting with a trailer, a typical small wheeled trailer- BAD

In Dec I had my Bob-type trailer run over by a caddy that "didn't see it" even though I was in the bike lane.

My Brain Hurts!
    Thanks again for all the replies.

For right now I think I have settled on a trailer. It is a Schwinn (same as Instep) kid hauler. But it has 20" wheels and the axles are supported by 2 dropouts. I will remove the kid hauler stuff, and make any reinforcements needed to haul a big, lockable tote. That way it is secure and watertight by default.

It is also a side pull, but I may modify that to a center pull later as well. I am going with a kid hauler as it is more affordable than a cargo trailer by the same company. Can't figure that out. Same capacity, but the trailer with more stuff costs less....

And I will probably have a big orange flag off both corners of the trailer so only the biggest of idiots can't see it.

I can always upgrade from there....

poser Administrator
    +1 for the flag. I use a bob and the flag is so integral that I can't even begin to explain how dangerous it is without it. The worst accident you could have is some pulling out of a parking lot and trying to nip in behind you and the oncoming traffic t-boning the trailer.

Not a pretty accident so again +1 on the flags.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Double-metric mtb man
    +1 on the flag from me too...it isn't in the pics of my homebrew, but I threw one on shortly after those pics were taken (first run home from work, where I did the fabrication).

My Brain Hurts!
    Well,

I picked up the Schwinn Trailer from the local Dunham's. Don't cringe, I used to work with about half the staff there when we all worked at OfficeMax.

Anyway, I got it home, set it up and then tyook off all the kid hauler stuff. I used one 10 foot composite plank (PVC) and a few screws and some sparay paint made for plastic. One coat of primer, two coats of blue, one coat of clear reflective paint. I did not paint the insides of the cradle, but did do both edges of the floor in reflective paint.

I used the side arm bolt holes to hold the cradle on the trailer and screwed the floor planks in from the outside edge. Seems sturdy enough with a cooler and a tote on it.

Here's a few pics....

I still have to add the flags and some red reflectors to the back plank. Why blue? Cause Giants colors are blue....even though it is a Schwinn trailer....

My Brain Hurts!

More pics...

I have been late in adding pics, so here are a few....

The trailer with a cooler and a tote -

One with me driving sanely with the trailer, now with 2 orange flags!

We go sledding on this hill in the winter....

Members who have read this thread: 0