On Bike Secure Tool Storage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

On Bike Secure Tool Storage

I think this is the right place to put this thread, as it deals with my daily work commute.

I have a 1988 Cannodale SM500 that has been changed over to a, I guess, a Hybrid bike, in that I run skinny rims and skinny slick tires on it, I changed the gear cluster on it to much more road gearing, I did leave the granny gear on the front, just in case

I use my bike to get around Tokyo, the furthest I've gone for something is about 18 miles just the bike, around my shop (my wife and I run her family's liquor shop) I do deliveries with a trailer I built. I sometimes carry a backpack or waist pouch but not always, and I wanted to make sure I had the basic tools I needed to fix a flat tire if I get one (none yet, touch wood!) so I built this little secure tool box that I put on the side of my rear rack.

On Bike Secure Tool Storage-bike_toolbox_1.jpg On Bike Secure Tool Storage-bike_toolbox_2.jpg

This is a hard plastic tool box with a sealing ring on the lid, I put a cabinet lock on it and attached it to the rack from inside the tool box. I fully realize that it is not 100% secure, but the tools I carry in there are not worth a lot of money.

On Bike Secure Tool Storage-bike_toolbox_3.jpg
    Here you can see it open, I put a string on the lid so I have a nice flat surface to set stuff too.

On Bike Secure Tool Storage-bike_toolbox_4.jpg
    What I carry, a spare tube, a patch kit, a Topeak Mini 9 Pro multi tool, some tire levers (a bit redundant as the multi tool has two) a 8mm/10mm combo wrench, and an old Swiss Army knife, as well as a rag to stop things from rattling around and to wipe off my hands if I get them greasy.

I know this may not be a good idea in some parts of the world, but here in Tokyo Japan, I think it is a good idea, I'm not concerned about the weight, I'm a real fat bastard anyways (I have lost 20 pounds since I started cycling again, and plan to lose another 80 pounds ).

My reason for making this little tool box is I really worry that one day I will forget my bag of tools and be a ways from home/work and get a flat. I would not be able to call my wife to come get me, as she would be working running the L shop. I would have to lock the bike up where I was, take a cab or a train home and get my van to pick up the bike, or if I could get a cab to let me put the bike in his trunk (not easy to do, most guys say "NO WAY, PISS OFF YOU SMELLY GAIJIN" and leave you stuck.

The price of the tools and the box might be $50, I would easily pay that for a medium distance taxi ride.

So what do you think, am I on to something here, or just nuts

Cheers!
    To Canadians Hockey is not just a game, it's OUR Game.....!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I was thinking of making something like that, out of a metal electrical enclosure box or an army surplus amunition box. The idea of mount fixtures being inside the box is what I had in mind. I have not found anything purpose made online or in a bike shop.
    Thankyou for sharing!

mtbr member
    You are welcome, I too looked for something ready made, but could not find it.

Like I said, I know this is not "Secure" secure, a bash from something hard and heavy would most likely pop it open, but it is a LOT more secure than a zip up bag

The ammo box would be kind of huge would it not? They are good and secure, and usually waterproof, but that would be like a large rigid pannier.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

Fat-tired Roadie
    People in Seattle leave their zip-up bags and helmets on their bikes all the time. Which would be one thing if there was no theft, but people also get helmets, lights, etc. stolen off their bikes from time to time. I haven't heard of a seat wedge being stolen, but that probably just means that people are angrier about their $200 lights.

Awesome solution. It seems like it should be just enough of a deterrent to stop an opportunistic thief or a teenager.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    People in Seattle leave their zip-up bags and helmets on their bikes all the time. Which would be one thing if there was no theft, but people also get helmets, lights, etc. stolen off their bikes from time to time. I haven't heard of a seat wedge being stolen, but that probably just means that people are angrier about their $200 lights.
    I understand that, from 1985 until 1990 I lived in Vancouver Canada and went to UBC by bicycle everyday. I parked at various places around campus, all very high foot traffic areas, with lots of people around, still, anything that was not bolted down got stolen. One day I came out and the bike beside mine was missing everything from the headset up, someone had snipped the brake and shifter cables and then just undone the bolt holding the stem into the headset, and walked away with the whole handlebar, brake levers and shifters

If your seat was not locked to your bike, it would be gone in a blink, I did not have rear quick release it was a solid bolt on axle, the front wheel was quick release, and each time I parked the bike I had to remove the front wheel and lock it with the back to the frame to the bike stand..... PITA to say the least, but at least my bike was still there when I came back at the end of my day. The seat post clamp was with a bolt, not a lever quick release, I also had a thin lock through the seat rails and around the handlebars through the frame.

Tokyo is much better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Awesome solution. It seems like it should be just enough of a deterrent to stop an opportunistic thief or a teenager.
    Thanks, that is the idea, simple, foolproof, and I hope it is an out of sight out of mind kind of thing, if you notice I painted the box black, as the green box really stood out against the red bike and mostly black accessories.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

weirdo
    It looks very handy, Stu. Is there so much crime where you are that you were worried about the stuff, though? Any rate, you box doesn`t look heavy, so you may as well lock it if you have the slightest doubts. Did you post a home made trailer in another subforum recnetly?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

the Planet Bike option

Great solution!

Planet Bike makes a lockable box that mounts to the top of a rack:
    http://ecom1.planetbike.com/4020.html

It looks like Swagman and Sunlite also make similar boxes. I want one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    It looks very handy, Stu. Is there so much crime where you are that you were worried about the stuff, though? Any rate, you box doesn`t look heavy, so you may as well lock it if you have the slightest doubts. Did you post a home made trailer in another subforum recnetly?
    Thanks!

There is not a lot of crime, but there is crime, we run a retail liquor store, so trust me we see petty crime on a daily basis. This is a way for me to make sure my basic tools are always with me on the bike, and to keep sticky fingers off them.

I posted my trailer on the Cargo Bikes forum >> LINK << it is working very well indeed!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ventura
    Great solution!

Planet Bike makes a lockable box that mounts to the top of a rack:
    http://ecom1.planetbike.com/4020.html

It looks like Swagman and Sunlite also make similar boxes. I want one!
    Thanks Ventura!

The top box rack is neat, kind of bigger than I want, I think they said that one you linked to is 27 liters, mine is less than a liter, also because of where my trailer hooks up to, anything on the rack would be in the way, but thanks for the info!

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

Members who have read this thread: 0