Bike rack advise please

Printable View

• 11-26-2009
    SAVAGESAM
    Bike rack advise please
    Hi, I would like advice on some bike racks from those who have them. Right now I'm looking at this brand http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks...bularRack_disc I like the "Modular" aspect. Just wanting to explore all my options before I pull the trigger. T.I.A.
  • 11-26-2009
    Yogii
    What do you want to carry? Figure that out before you decide on the rack.
  • 11-26-2009
    SAVAGESAM
    Mostly, two to four coats. Wifes purse, digi-cam, extra water bottles, flat repair kit, wallet, cell phones etc.
  • 11-27-2009
    Yogii
    Wife's purse? You need a pick-up truck!

Do you have your bag? I assume either large rack pack or panniers.....
  • 11-27-2009
    Squash
    If all you are going to use....
    for a bag is a trunk type, or small panniers then the super tourist is overkill. It's designed for fully loaded touring. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice solid rack, But unnecessary for light duty commuting, day trips, or recreational rides. The Exporer would be a bit better choice, http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks...Rack_discMount . A bit lighter, and a little less expensive. As I said they're good solid racks. Just depends on your intended purpose and use. If there may be loaded touring in your plans, or you intend to use larger panniers or don't mind a little extra weight and size, then the Tourist would certainly be the way to go. If not then the Exporer would fill the bill no problem.

Good Dirt
  • 11-27-2009
    Yogii
    checkout Old Man Mountain bike racks. Stronger and lighter(pick two).
  • 11-27-2009
    Rod_r
    Disks And racks beware
    I had fun trying to attach a rack to my son's bike with Disk breaks.
    1 The Brake callipers were in an awkward place, meaning more spacers needed for one side of hub..
    2 Use Locktite on all adjustments if any joints are stretched/stressed in any way (follows on from point 1), We had a failure after about 20 miles when two rods exited from slots and we needed about 6 * 360 degree adjustment (loosening) to get a rod back into the slot. Both were no longer possible 20 miles from a workbench..

LBS may be easier.:)
  • 11-27-2009
    rodar y rodar
    Besides your wife`s purse, two to four coats? It sounds like you`re hauling kids with you. If that`s the case, I`d think big and go for it. Otherwise, Squash`s post makes sense. I like the double top rail on that rack- wish mine had that. With a single top rail, I have to pull off the panniers in order to tie anything to the top platform because I can`t get the rope between the panniers and the rail. Once it`s tight I can replace the panniers.
  • 11-27-2009
    gravitylover
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod_r
    I had fun trying to attach a rack to my son's bike with Disk breaks.
    1 The Brake callipers were in an awkward place, meaning more spacers needed for one side of hub..
    2 Use Locktite on all adjustments if any joints are stretched/stressed in any way (follows on from point 1), We had a failure after about 20 miles when two rods exited from slots and we needed about 6 * 360 degree adjustment (loosening) to get a rod back into the slot. Both were no longer possible 20 miles from a workbench..

LBS may be easier.:)

Topeak Explorer Disc rack is great. Go get one and be done with your problems.

O.P. - I sell a bunch of those Topeak Explorer racks and they seem to hold up really well. The quick release bags they have for their racks are really quite nice and (so far) seem to be holding up pretty well.
  • 11-27-2009
    RevRacer
    Explorer working great
    As the other posts have suggested, the Explorer rack from Topeak works well. With an MTX trunk bag DXP it is small and light enough for a trail ride carrying spare tube, tools, extra clothing, and during the week I drop the panniers and carry a change of clothes and laptop for work.