Bike Parking- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike Parking

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Bike Parking

I have recently started commuting to work twice a week, I am a teacher and live in the UK.

I have been told that i should store my bike in the pupil's cycle park, where it is only possible to secure by one wheel. My bike has quick release axles front and back so this isn't very secure for me.

Are there any rules about what should be provided? I know that a cycle insurance policy usually advises that a bike should be locked by the frame. Is there anythink more formal that i could quote?

Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Are you looking for something to show your employer illustrating that their bike rack is insufficient? Maybe your local government has something but I doubt it is exactly what you are looking for.

I'd just get a long cable lock or second small lock to make sure everything is linked together. Weave the long cable through the rack, front wheel, frame, rear wheel and then back up to the rack. With 2 locks place one through the rack, front wheel and frame, then place the second through the frame and rear wheel.

local trails rider
    Insurance policies can vary. Where I live just having A lock is usually sufficient for insurance. But yes: a cable or chain lock that ties everything together is a good idea when parking in an accessible place.

weirdo
    I don`t quite see what you`re looking for either as far as rules and quotes go. I don`t blame you for not wanting to lock your bike by a wheel in a place where a lot of people will see it though. The ideas mentioned above are better than nothing. And for what it`s worth, I don`t think locking up your bike by a bolted on wheel is really much diffferent from locking your bike by a QR wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    For the sake of safety, using two different types of locks, as suggested by Mr. Sheldon Brown, is the way to go. A small U lock and a strong, thick cable lock (i.e. one with Kevlar).

Just secure the front wheel with the cable lock and the back wheel with the U lock as described above.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I guess I'm spoiled by the supportive nature of my work place. My bike is parked not three feet from my desk. IN my office. I tend to follow the general rule of courtesy and clean up any dirt etc. my tires leave.
    I don't work ina customer service or service industry, though, so the only people who are usually in my office are myself, my boss and my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33
    I guess I'm spoiled by the supportive nature of my work place. My bike is parked not three feet from my desk. IN my office. I tend to follow the general rule of courtesy and clean up any dirt etc. my tires leave.
    I don't work ina customer service or service industry, though, so the only people who are usually in my office are myself, my boss and my bike.

-Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I find that when parking at kids racks like that, the best technique is often to lift the front tire over the rack (so the rack fits between the front tire and the frame). Using a single U-lock, you can usually hook the front tire, the bike rack and the frame. You'll have to add a cable or a second u-lock to secure the rear wheel, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    For the sake of safety, using two different types of locks, as suggested by Mr. Sheldon Brown, is the way to go. A small U lock and a strong, thick cable lock (i.e. one with Kevlar).

Just secure the front wheel with the cable lock and the back wheel with the U lock as described above.
    If the 2 lock solution doesn't appeal to you, you could also look into <a href="http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.asp">pitlock skewers</a>. They are a little pricey, but I find them to work well. The design is ingenious and they will certainly baffle an uneducated thief.

mtbr member
    When I commute with my bike I stick it in my office...

And my High School Chem teacher --also British-- would just leave her bike in class. No one ever said anything.

Moderator Moderator
    Be sure to use a good sized chain like this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Parking-bigchain.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0