Bike options- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike options

mtbr member

Bike options

I have been one of the fortunate people in this world to have their vehicle stolen. Being forced to ride a bicycle as my method of transportation for right now. I actually enjoy it a lot but right now i am stuck. My commuter needs some help. I am riding an old Scott mountain bike, what year i have no clue other that its old, green and ridged. I have thought about doing the 700c wheels handle bars and just a basic upgrade but for the cost to do that i could buy a giant seek, which i am sold on, for me thats my bike. The bike i am on right now is basic. no fenders, no computer, just a rear rack, new road tires (not in the photo) and i am using my eggbeaters. I could also just keep plugging with the bike i am on. I ride roughly 20-30 miles round trip, depending on what day it is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M. View Post
    I have been one of the fortunate people in this world to have their vehicle stolen. Being forced to ride a bicycle as my method of transportation for right now. I actually enjoy it a lot but right now i am stuck. My commuter needs some help. I am riding an old Scott mountain bike, what year i have no clue other that its old, green and ridged. I have thought about doing the 700c wheels handle bars and just a basic upgrade but for the cost to do that i could buy a giant seek, which i am sold on, for me thats my bike. The bike i am on right now is basic. no fenders, no computer, just a rear rack, new road tires (not in the photo) and i am using my eggbeaters. I could also just keep plugging with the bike i am on. I ride roughly 20-30 miles round trip, depending on what day it is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Your seat seems to be pointed up at the front...might want to check that out...

Sold on a Giant Seek.....Have you given it a test ride yet???

mtbr member
    Yeah the seat has actually been fixed from when the photo was taken. I have not been to ride it byt my LBS has one in stock and i am going to go ride it. I have only been doing reading as of right now so thats what i am going off of. I have also thought about cyclocross/touring bikes also but i like the more upright position.
    Giant Reign 2 08-upgraded forks
    Giant NRS Team edition

mtbr member
    If that is all you can afford and your heart is set on it...then go for it. It could provide years of service with proper care. But I think you can get a better quality and even more comfortable bicycle for the same amount of money or slightly more money.

mtbr member
    Well sounds like this may turn into a what kind of bicycles do you recommend? For the record I have considered the Long Haul trucker from surly, big dummy (but that's a bit big for me), kona minUTE and I am probably forgetting a few others too. Thanks
    Giant Reign 2 08-upgraded forks
    Giant NRS Team edition

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Your old Scott may not be a looker, but it appears its working for you at the moment. I would save your dollars and ride your bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0