Bike Lanes and the Law- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Fat-tired Roadie
    Interesting read. I thought that lane markings were a little more restrictive than that. I wonder if it's any different in my state.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    "One last point: Even when a marked bike lane exists on a roadway, a cyclist can choose to ride in a travel lane, like any other vehicle on the road."

This may be the case in Massachusetts but in NY the Vehicle and Traffic law says that if a designated bike lane exists, the cyclist MUST ride in the lane.

Moderator Moderator
    I don't know if this is up-to-date, so check locally, but as a starting point,

Mandatory Bicycle Lane Use from Bicycle Driving
    Bicycle lane use is mandatory in the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany (if there is a bike lane sign), France (if required by local authorities), Ireland, the Canadian Province of Quebec and the U.S. States of Alabama, California, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, New York, and Oregon (although Oregon adds, “A person is not required to comply with this section unless the state or local authority with jurisdiction over the roadway finds, after public hearing, that the bicycle lane or bicycle path is suitable for safe bicycle use at reasonable rates of speed”). Further, in jurisdictions that require bicyclists to operate generally as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, marking a shoulder as a bike lane may create a greater restriction, since the shoulder is generally not part of the legal definition of “roadway,” but a bike lane is (except in Oregon, where a bike lane is not part of the “roadway”).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston.com
    The way state law is worded, bicyclists can’t be forced to pay the tickets they receive.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Members who have read this thread: 0