Bike completed; maiden voyage.- Mtbr.com
    djrez4

Bike completed; maiden voyage.

Finally finished over the weekend. I've taken a few shakedown runs, but today was her first ride as a complete bike with all the proper parts.

• Van Dessel WTF
    • Beer EBB
    • Whiskey No. 9 wheels
    • Clement Xplor MSOs 40c
    • XT Cranks
    • Gates Centertrack belt drive - 46 x 28
    • Thomson post (27.2 x 330) and stem (90 x 10)
    • Selle Anatomica X Series
    • Salsa Woodchipper
    • TRP Hylex brakes
    • Woody's Custom bamboo fenders
    • Shimano MX80 pedals (or Eggbeaters)
    • OxyLED front lamp (which kicks surprising butt)
    • Cygolite Hotshot tail lamp
    • 2x Pedallon tail lamp

Might seem like low gearing for a commuter, but I hit up to 12% grades on my ride. There may be a Rohloff in my future.

Future plans: a frame bag and some mud flaps.

I'd rather be on my bike
    WOW!!! That is a sweet ride!!! Congrats
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

since 4/10/2009
    that is indeed, a very chi-chi bike.

Bedwards Of The West
    Very nice! I gotta try a belt drive soon. That seat angle wouldn't work for me...personal preference, or characteristic of that saddle?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

djrez4
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Very nice! I gotta try a belt drive soon. That seat angle wouldn't work for me...personal preference, or characteristic of that saddle?
    I think it's characteristic of the saddle. It looks more angled in the photo than it is - only a 3 tilt - but I do plan on tilting it just slightly more rearward; I can still feel myself sliding forward a bit and there's too much weight on my hands.

mtbr member
    I love the wtf. If it took bigger than 2.1s I'd totally get one. (do you hear me Van Dessel? How about a dropbar 29+ frame, please)

Have you used the woodchipper before? I've had mine for 6 months, and have moved the levers a million times.

djrez4
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I love the wtf. If it took bigger than 2.1s I'd totally get one. (do you hear me Van Dessel? How about a dropbar 29+ frame, please)

Have you used the woodchipper before? I've had mine for 6 months, and have moved the levers a million times.
    I've been riding it for a week and I've already moved them twice. I adjusted the reach today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    I've been riding it for a week and I've already moved them twice. I adjusted the reach today.
    I feel kindof dumb, because for six months I'd had the levers really low so that I could easily reach them from the drop extensions. My main riding position wasn't just the drops, but was on the extensions once they'd flattened out.

But just last weekend I went crazy, and moved them all the way up. Now I've got them aligned with the highest marker line instead of the 4th or the 6th where I used to be. And I think I like this much better. Now I'm sitting in the hooks instead of on the extensions, and it seems to be better for my shoulders. And because I'm in the hooks it's actually much easier to reach the levers, and if I want to use the hoods they're much better too. I might even move the levers up a little further.

Anyway, it's a great bar but it's crazy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    that's a sexy bike

mtbr member
    Nice!! So nice I wouldn't want to get it all dirty and such with the wet stuff we have here in Hawaii. Sure rained hard the last few days. Muddy and wet............

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Whoa - you read my mind! I'm (slowly) building up a WTF as a commuter/ride everything steed and I've had many of the same ideas but you got there before me Looks great.

I'm going for a belt 46/28 and currently have the front pulley and Beer EBB. Is that a 120 belt you're using?

I'm considering an Alfine DI2 but the beltline is crazy narrow at 39.8mm. My measurements and mock up with BB crank and 46t pulley looks like it'll *just* work. (Rohloff isn't so narrow so would certainly work)

djrez4
    It's a 120. Although, either I have too much tension in the belt or the Gates calculator was way off. I'm almost at the longest CS setting of the EBB, which, to my understanding, is 460mm. The calculator says that 46 x 28 w/ 120t belt works at 455mm.

I'm currently running the front chainring inside of the crank spider. But there is room to run it outside the spider too. That may solve your chainline issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    120, thanks. I had tried to count it in the photo (in desperation!) but obviously not easy or accurate.

I'm glad I'm not the only one working through this and the Gates parts aren't cheap to be trying stuff and messing about with different belts and ratios. It sounds about right that you're near the longest CS length setting. I had found the online Gates calculator misleading. The downloadable Excel version from their site is far more useful. Using that it gives a value for your/my setup of 457.5mm (including the Take-Up Adjustment for Tensioning).

If I go the DI2 Alfine setup it would actually help using the EBB with a longer CS setting as it keeps the 46t away from cutting into the CS when using a very narrow belt line. OTOH it wont help me with toe overlap but then that's also a function of using big tires/fenders/being a short person and needing a small frame..... I have been trying to grow taller over the last 38 years but have made little progress.