Bike for commuting and road rides, suggestions???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Bike for commuting and road rides, suggestions???

I am looking for a bike to commute and use for road rides to the gym. I am leaning toward cannondale bad boy 9. I don't want a conventional road bike want more upright as I am mountain biker that is what I am comfortable with. Not looking to take on trails strictly road use only and also not looking to break bank either as just spent money on a carbon full suspension mtb. Any suggestions? How is the cannondale bad boy 9?

I'd rather be on my bike
    I personally like the 5 with the Lefty fork, but that is just me. That seems like it would be a fine bike for what you want. There is also the Bad Boy commuter that comes setup more as a commuter with fenders already on it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    The Cannondale Bad Boy 9 will work great for your purposes IMO. Like TenSpeed said, you can even get one that comes with fenders which is a great addition to a commuter. That said, there's tons of bikes that make great commuters. Don't write off road/CX bikes because of the drop bars. I, as well as many others on this forum, came from a mountain biking background and many of us have learned to love drop bars. CX bikes often make great commuters because the clearance for larger tires, sometimes up to 2"/50mm. The often have eyelets for fenders and racks as well.

It's about showing up.
    How far is your ride to the gym? What sort of terrain/traffic does it have?
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    The Cannondale Bad Boy 9 will work great for your purposes IMO. Like TenSpeed said, you can even get one that comes with fenders which is a great addition to a commuter. That said, there's tons of bikes that make great commuters. Don't write off road/CX bikes because of the drop bars. I, as well as many others on this forum, came from a mountain biking background and many of us have learned to love drop bars. CX bikes often make great commuters because the clearance for larger tires, sometimes up to 2"/50mm. The often have eyelets for fenders and racks as well.
    Hard to beat a cyclocross bike for a good all around road/commuter. Lots of flexibility for tires, strong frame and wheels.
    Are you really sure about that?

It's about showing up.
    I rode the Specialized Sirrus for 3 years, much like the BB. Its like a rigid HT and you can set it up like3 your mtb.

I think those bikes are a good way to go.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I commuted with a similar type bike (Giant Roam) and its a great bike for it, especially if you're more comfortable in a mtb riding position.