Bike commuters making the news- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bike commuters making the news

This is a ride I went on yesterday. Great turnout...at least 150 people. Good coverage by a local news station. There had been a big wind storm the day before and I walked the worst part of the route and picked up all the big stuff before the ride. But as you can see from the footage, there is still a lot of debris on the shoulder.

Hopefully this will generate some attention. Also, riders were really good about not disrupting traffic. I don't think we annoyed anyone and succeeded in making our point.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/44317902.html

weirdo
    Yeah, looks like a big mess on the shoulder.

The shoulder looked fairly wide to me though. Maybe due to the traffic count or an exceptional number of bicycles it needs more. I didn`t have any sound on the video (I`ll check it out later from home), and see what all the interviewees are saying. It looks like a really good turn out and it`s nice that everybody behaved and didn`t block traffic. That`s got to be 1000 times more effective than what Critical Mass style boneheads pull trying to improve their conditions. I hope it works out for you guys. Thanks for the link, Tweezak.

No-Brakes Cougar
    That's awesome. And like Rodar said, it's nice to see such a large turn out of people behaving themselves. Out here in Silicon Valley they have the San Jose Bike Party, which seems like a nice, lawful alternative to critical mess. Too bad it's on nights that I work. http://www.sjbikeparty.org/
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    It looks like a really good turn out and it`s nice that everybody behaved and didn`t block traffic. That`s got to be 1000 times more effective than what Critical Mass style boneheads pull trying to improve their conditions. I hope it works out for you guys.
    I agree, the Critical Mass (IMO) is likely to do more harm than good.
    Bravo! Great work.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    around the LA/MDR area there are huge turnouts (1000) of Single Speed guerilla night rides. they lay down in the street to block the intersection so the whole mass can blow thru. they have gone into stores and pretty much tore up the place. This has been bad for all of us law abiding riders. The sherriff and CHP have been ticketing everyone for no pedal spoke and front and rear relectors. I'm not a fan of Critical Mass nor SSers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are more pix'n'stuff about the ride and the path here:

http://www.albanycorvallisbikepath.com/

The two towns involved (Albany and Corvallis) couldn't be more different.

Albany sits right on the freeway and the railroad and has lots of seasonal industry. It also (I think) has the highest per-capita meth use in the state. A real dump of a town, imo. The vast majority of adult cyclists in Albany only ride bikes because they've lost their license. Lots of rednecks, wannabe gang-bangers, etc. There are also a lot of people like me who live there because the property taxes are cheaper than Corvallis.

Corvallis has the lowest unemployment in the state. It is pretty high-tech centric. The average education level is high because Oregon State University is located there. A lot of money is spent on keeping the town clean and attractive. It is a very bike friendly city.

Some people in Corvallis do not like cyclists but I would guess that is generally the result of dealing with some college students who don't have any interest in obeying traffic laws.

Members who have read this thread: 0