Bike Commuter Age- Mtbr.com

Poll: How Old is the Average Bike Commuter

CB of the East

Bike Commuter Age

I'm not sure if this one as been done here yet. Post your exact age if you want, otherwise nobody has to know.

I'm 45. I did some less serious commuting in my late 20s for exercise and really stepped it up over the last few years. I've never been stronger.

weirdo
    Tie for 45.
    Just to clarify, you`re asking in the poll for our own ages, not for our personal guess as to what the average is? Or, just to be a wise guy, I could attempt to figure my pesonal average age throughout my cycling career

CB of the East
    Yes. The poster's current age.

So what is your average age throughout your cycling career? Do you weight that with miles or hours 'cause mountain biking miles seem to count 3:1 over road miles. I guess mine would be about...35

Ex-Clydesdale
    I'd have broken it into 5 year chunks for a more accurate picture (I'm 31)
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

CB of the East
    Bah, close enough.

mtbr member
    To quote an old Chris Ledoux song "it ain't the years boy, it's the miles".
    BTW 44yrs but it sometimes feels like 10,000,000,000 miles, especially watching the 20 something kids rocket past.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    To quote an old Chris Ledoux song "it ain't the years boy, it's the miles".
    BTW 44yrs but it sometimes feels like 10,000,000,000 miles, especially watching the 20 something kids rocket past.
    Right up there with, "The older I get, the faster I was."

Of course, you should be faster than a 20 something, after all, you have a 15-20 year cycling head start on them, you should be blowing their doors off, not them yours. What's your excuse?
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post

Of course, you should be faster than a 20 something, after all, you have a 15-20 year cycling head start on them, you should be blowing their doors off, not them yours. What's your excuse?
    I slowed down considerably once I got old enough to realize that they can always brew more beer, my VCR (that's a TIVO for video tape for the youngsters reading this ) will record what I want to watch, and the pretty girls aren't interested in me no matter how cool I think I am. Now I slowpoke along and smile when I hear "hurry up, my grandma is faster than you!", and reply with a
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Moderator Moderator
    I turned 50 in May and was tempted by your 40-50 category, but decided 50-60 was more accurate, since I'm already almost 6 mos over 50. I like staying in shape year round with bikecommuting instead of suffering every spring.

mtbr member
    Are you sure MTBX? I was informed that all women stop aging at 27 and just accrue seniority from there. I can't believe those ladies would lie to me.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I guess I'd rather look decent for 50 than ancient for 27!

CB of the East
    Sorry MTBX, I should have made it 41-50 for ya, they you could have been in, no questions asked.

I have a sense of humor of a 20 year old.
    I have the cholesterol levels of a 25 year old
    I have the legs of a 30 year old
    I have the knees of a 45 year old
    And I have the back of a 55 year old.

mtbr member
    Since the groups start with <20, I take it that the decade birthdays are the dividing point. So if this poll had been left another coupe of weeks i would have doubled the next category older. I don't look it judging by my age mates around here. I am thankful you did not ask for maturity, rather than age.

BrianMc

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Well I am 51, so no question as to which group I should be in. We should have another poll: What age do you feel like you are?

since 4/10/2009
    31, pushing 32. in response to the "how old do you feel?" question, my body feels good, I'd say I feel like I'm in my 20's. and in fact, my knees feel better than they did when I was 18 so there's that.

I try hard to keep my mental age down by goofing off. but I can't shake the feeling that I'm mentally much older than most my age (I have felt that way for a very long time).

CB of the East
    ^^You've been through some tougher times that most people your age!

I guess my mental age is somewhere in my late 20s. With some experience to back it up. Best of both worlds.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I'd put mine in my mid 30's. I'm in better shape now than I ever was in my 30's or most of my 40's for that matter. I weigh about what I did when I got out of high school (after ballooning up 60 pounds in my late 30's to mid-40's) the problem is my recovery time is longer than when I was younger. bedwards, I like the "experience to back it up" part. Exactly how I feel.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^You've been through some tougher times that most people your age!
    yeah, but I felt that way long before I went through any of that.

mtbr member

I've been a commuter for nearly 3 months, 1100 miles behind me.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So who is the old guy???

I think I am second oldest

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm still under 40, and I feel like I'm 25 until I do something hard and realize that 5 days have gone by and I'm still sore.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    So who is the old guy???

I think I am second oldest
    Not unless you turn 60 in the next few days.

BrianMc

I'm SUCH a square....
    53 and a bit; commuted in high school, started again after 40. Committed to it in '04 when I sold my last car.

Feel my age SOMEtimes; more a matter of the aches/pains than anything, cuz I only feel my age when I find out something I can't do anymore -- AFTER trying to do it. (That's hard to TAKE!)

It's OK, though, I can still do a lot of sh** that 20-somethings around here can't! LOL!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Fat-tired Roadie
    31, but my knees are better than they were when I was 19, and really through my early and mid 20s.

Luckily I don't have quantitative records of how fit I was at that time, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Do you weight that with miles or hours 'cause mountain biking miles seem to count 3:1 over road miles.
    Ya know, I think there`s a lot of merit to the idea of counting hours rather than miles. Unfortunately, hours are a lot harder to keep track of. Oh, and if I had recorded how many hours it took me to drag those bags of newspapers around on my old 3-speed, it would probably drop my cycling age average age as much as Philip Morris does!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ I guess I'd rather look decent for 50 than ancient for 27!
    I agree! Anybody who thinks otherwise, google up pics of Keith Richards or Janis Joplin at 27 YO!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    31, but my knees are better than they were when I was 19, and really through my early and mid 20s.

Luckily I don't have quantitative records of how fit I was at that time, though.
    Sounds a lot like me. Did you play soccer back then, too?

Fat-tired Roadie
    No, I'm terrible at sports with a ball. I injured my knee riding bikes, but I was doing a lot of dance and I think that ballet dancers probably need to cross-train more. I was training pretty seriously (in ballet) so I was in kickass shape, but my PT and I didn't manage to get my range of motion back. I revisited in my late twenties when I'd been out of ballet for a while and worked on stability and endurance. Still don't have the range of motion, but I can't predict the weather with my knee anymore and I can ride a Century or do a 50 mile MTB race without it being a limiter.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Still want a fat bike....
    I'm, 35 this month, so there is no question where I fall in. I still probably need to do more than commute for my fitness, but so far I haven't found the time with two kids aged 4 and 18 mos.....
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    No, I'm terrible at sports with a ball. I injured my knee riding bikes, but I was doing a lot of dance and I think that ballet dancers probably need to cross-train more. I was training pretty seriously (in ballet) so I was in kickass shape, but my PT and I didn't manage to get my range of motion back. I revisited in my late twenties when I'd been out of ballet for a while and worked on stability and endurance. Still don't have the range of motion, but I can't predict the weather with my knee anymore and I can ride a Century or do a 50 mile MTB race without it being a limiter.
    Yes, my cousin and his wife are professional ballet dancers and they could definitely stand to cross train. They are close to our age, too. They have been working on their plan for retirement for awhile now. Dancing is hard on the body. Not that I'd know...I absolutley cannot coordinate by body to a rhythm.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I'm 28, used to play lacrosse at state level, mostly ride for utilitarian purposes - commuting, occasionally recreation. However, my girlfriend is a chef so I need as much exercise as I can. Still packing on the pounds too, despite exercising over 20 hours a week... geez.

CB of the East
    It looked like the 40 somethings were going to take it in the beginning but the 30 somethings (a reference that the 40 somethings and 50 somethings will get but not the 20 somethings) pulled ahead. That could be a statement about who's more bored at their job.

weirdo
    And finally a rep from each group!

But the biggest surpise for me is that more than 50 members have responded. I didn`t think that many real people even looked at this section in the course of a few days.

mtbr member
    ^^ Considering the cost of gas and diesel fuel, I'm not surprised more and more people are checking out human powered commuting.

since 4/10/2009
    that's a good looking bell curve. skewed a bit more towards the younger end of the spectrum, but that's not all that unexpected.

Bedwards Of The West
    ...not surprised at the bell curve

...a bit of surprised at the seemingly disproportionate amount of bike commuter connections with the ballet industry

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ...a bit of surprised at the seemingly disproportionate amount of bike commuter connections with the ballet industry
    ha! well I'm pretty sure that my cousin does some bike commuting. His company is in NYC and AFAIK, he did not own a car for many many years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    that's a good looking bell curve. skewed a bit more towards the younger end of the spectrum, but that's not all that unexpected.
    I suspect it would test as fitting a normal distribution. Slight kurtosis (skewing). And almost a plateau across the three decades. We likely don't get many grade school kids who ride bikes to school checking out this forum. That biases the young end of the distribution. I also wonder about a lower proportion of older riders wanting to hang out in the forum. So it is a measure of readers in the forum willing to vote, but not necessarily of the commuting population as a whole.

BrianMc

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, this poll's a lot closer to "regular" population numbers than my male/female poll, which came up with only 4 female and 61 male bikecommuters (6% F , 94% M).

Bedwards Of The West

mtbr member
    Yeah, this poll's a lot closer to "regular" population numbers than my male/female poll, which came up with only 4 female and 61 male bikecommuters (6% F , 94% M).
    I was always under the impression (right or wrong) that most women in general wouldn't participate in poling like this only because of divulging personal info and the danger (real or imagined) involved from doing it. Many of the women I work with have mentioned not taking surveys and such since they didn't know who would have access to the info.

I could (maybe even likely) be wrong, it's happened before.

weirdo
    Yeah, the sudden ballet influx came as a surprise to me, too!

And now 66 voters. Where the heck did they all come from?

MtbX, you lost me on that last post. RE: women on forums in general, I don`t know why, but they seem less prevalent than men. Maybe just lurk more to avoid the general abuse? I mostly hang out on bike-related forums now, and they`re all heavilly male dominated, as is the fuel efficiency forum I cruise, and a few photography sites that I used to lurk on. The immigration info and chit-chat forums that originally got me hooked on the net all had more women than men though- no guesses as to the "why`s" behind any of that.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^As long as we're polling, I don't know any ballet dancers either!

My post on the M:F ratio poll here just meant I'd like to see and hear from more women who bike.

mtbr member
    I know they are around since at my work place in total I know of only 4 men who bike to work but about 9 women who do.

mtbr member

I started commuting in the last 6 months. Prior to that I was a collegiate, and for a few years, professional pole vaulter. Lots of cycling doesnt jive with sprint speed on foot. After retirement, the thing I looked forward to the most was getting on the bike more. I don't intend to stop bike commuting.

mtbr member
    I turned 30 on Sunday. I'm old.

CB of the East
    Um, you are younger than 3/4 of the people that did the survey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I turned 30 on Sunday. I'm old.
    Old?! Old?! By God when I was your age we had to build our own bike frames with tree limbs and leather strips, our wheels were carved from stone (granite if you were lucky), handlebars came from the antlers of a mule-deer or a moose or a neighbors steer. There was always a 30mph headwind no matter which direction you were going, and it was all ways uphill in the snow.

And we were grateful!

mtbr member
    OK. So now I am over 60. Do you change the survey and let me keep Mr or Ms Solo company?

BrianMc

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    OK. So now I am over 60. Do you change the survey and let me keep Mr or Ms Solo company?

BrianMc
    maybe you should have just fudged your age a little?

mtbr member
    31 here!

weirdo
    Whooooo!!!
    Happy B-day. Want me to send you a birthday pie?

Moderator Moderator
    Happy Birthday BrianMc! Lucky for you, cyclists are always glad to be 'over the hill".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    maybe you should have just fudged your age a little?
    Against my training. No, I should have waited to vote in the survey.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Whooooo!!!
    Happy B-day. Want me to send you a birthday pie?
    So considerate! But, no. Thanks for the thought. Besides your wife is likely back!

Happy Birthday BrianMc! Lucky for you, cyclists are always glad to be 'over the hill".
    Lots better than 6' under it. So it's better to have birthdays than not. I'm told that 60 is the new 40 with life expectancy climbing past 80 for most of us. Lots of miles to go and chains to wear out.

BrianMc

psycho cyclo addict
    46 and no chronic pain so far (other than my college age daughter)

Hoping to exceed 3,500 miles of pedaling (commute, dirt, rocks and urban assault) this year.

mtbr member
    Started the day after my 40th birthday (less than 4 months ago) and ride almost every day now. Longest ride so far is 37 miles but it was only July when 8 miles had me winded

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    had a brief 2 year hiatus when i started uni and got a car..... car = expensive to run

started riding the 20 miles to and from uni.

before i went to uni i did my paperround on my bike , then rode to school on it.

When i bought my first house i drew a 15mile radius circle round my work - and my partners work(she also commutes by bike) and looked in the area where they conincided - then looked at safe cycle routes to work.

Lifes much happier by bike !

toscano
    I'm 45, so I vote 45

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    36, I have been biking for a year and a half and hit my target weight this summer. Very surprised how quickly it happened.

Members who have read this thread: 0