Bike Commute vs Bike/Bus Combo Commute- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bike Commute vs Bike/Bus Combo Commute

My normal morning bike commute to work is 27 miles. In the evenings I catch the bus from work and ride my bike 6 miles home from the bus stop.

I was running running late on Friday morning and was seriously consider driving to work. However, instead of driving I decided that I would ride to the bus stop and catch the bus the rest of the way to work.

I forgot to turn my Garmin Edge off when I put my bike on the rack of the bus and the Edge recorded the entire trip on Friday morning. Now I know how much longer it takes for me to ride all the way to work in comparison to biking to the bus stop and riding the bus.

The total distance from Friday's trip was 31 miles (the bus takes the highway). The total elapsed time was 1h 02m 38s (the 6 miles to the bus stop took 20m). The average speed for the entire trip was 34.1mph.

My regular morning commute is 27 miles (I take city streets) and my quickest time is 1h 26m 05s with an average speed of 18.4mph.

So compared to my quickest ride to work; riding to the bus stop and getting on the bus is 24 minutes quicker.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Moderator Moderator
    Nice going, that's a speedy result, especially over such a long distance. And a good advertisement for bikecommuting - I mean, who doesn't have 24 minutes of wiggle room in their day at least occasionally, for a fun, healthy, economical alternative?

On my old multi bus/bike commute home, occasionally I used to beat the 2nd bus on its 8 mi route, but only if I got a head start (they only came every 30 minutes, so if you missed one it was sometimes faster to bike).

Members who have read this thread: 0