Bike Cameras Hitting the 6 O'clock News- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Bike Cameras Hitting the 6 O'clock News

This is not really news to most of us, but interesting that bikecam use is getting picked up by mainstream media...better driving to follow?

Bike cameras trending among cyclists for safety | WJLA.com

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Many on display this year at Interbike

Rear-View Camera for Bike | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

some have sd cards

some have black box like feature that saves to disk the last 5 min of recording that is activated when the bike is abruptly stopped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    does anyone here use a camera. i want to but i cant figure how to get my kodak action cam on and those other cameras are dam expensive.

mtbr member
    ^^ I have a Drift HD Stealth. It can pick up plates. It was $200. I tried a Sony Handicam strapped to the rear carrier. A lot of weight and poor resolution.

I tried a fey fob 720P and it did not give license plates. Also poor in low light.

Ture HD Mini Keyfob Camera 1280 x 720P Video Recorder | eBay

Recharge time and storage can be issues on longer commutes, but this model looks like it will support usb allowing separate power and storage for a price. Not bad in daylight from a video I have seen made on one. YouTube has some.

Newer models of the GoPro and Stealth may make used older ones available on ebay?

I love the lady claiming it was invasion of privacy. Not on public roads, it isn't. We have bank and other security cameras plus ones in cruisers and maybe delivery trucks. We are all being recorded. Those data get searched, too. So she is upset because she will be caught driving like an idiot? So it is about being caught, not about being good.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

I love the lady claiming it was invasion of privacy. Not on public roads, it isn't. We have bank and other security cameras plus ones in cruisers and maybe delivery trucks. We are all being recorded. Those data get searched, too. So she is upset because she will be caught driving like an idiot? So it is about being caught, not about being good.

BrianMc
    I laughed too. here in illinois we have cameras at almost every major intersection. you can actually go on the county website and look at the pictures. traffic is filmed constantly. It just goes to prove that most people have no clue what is really going on around them.

since 4/10/2009
    I have used my GoPro in the past. Haven't had enough scares on the commute to convince me to use it regularly, though.

I could see that changing in the future, though, if I do wind up having problems.

mtbr member
    Is it preferable to have the camera handlebar mounted or facing backwards? I guess one could make the case for either scenario. Seems like a good idea in theory but I'm hesitant to start strapping additional crap (especially electronic crap) to the bike. Just seems like extra work to take it on and off, charge it, download it after every ride. I guess that's what the world is coming to...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbklutz View Post
    Is it preferable to have the camera handlebar mounted or facing backwards? I guess one could make the case for either scenario. Seems like a good idea in theory but I'm hesitant to start strapping additional crap (especially electronic crap) to the bike. Just seems like extra work to take it on and off, charge it, download it after every ride. I guess that's what the world is coming to...
    If your state has front plates, then I think rear would work okay since you could still get plate numbers (that is really the biggest point of this, since how many people remember a plate number when they've been run off the road?). If, however, your state does not have front plates, it's going to be your least useful angle. When I use my GoPro while commuting, I use the helmet mount. That way, I can get the plate, but I can also turn my head to look at a driver that might be buzzing too close, or throwing something, or whatever. And my state has front plates (Texas).

weirdo
    Just remeber to think before turning in your evidence to the authorities. Remember the guy (in San Francisco?) who turned over his video files to prosecute a hit and run and forgot to edit out the part where he blew through two stop signs and a red light?

Purdy lugged frame with two-tone paint job, DT shifters, chrome one-inch threaded headset, polished aluminum stem and Cinelli bars, gum hoods on old school non-aero levers, BIG ASS HONKIN VIDEO SCREEN. Something about that just doesn`t work
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    No front plates here. A rear view camera would only clarify the contact, not identify the perp. I use a helmet mount and hope I aim at the back of the vehicle at some point falling off the bike. The problem is that you never know when you might need the camera as proof. I have had some close ones when rollin' but not "Roll 'em!"

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Had a motorist-in-roadrage-pursuit incident Friday that I might have liked to document, but I didn`t have the cam because it was raining and the lens gets wet and so blurry that I don`t bother.

Moreover, almost all motorist incidents in the last 2-3 years have been in the rain.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Members who have read this thread: 0