Bike Build - Opinions Wanted- Mtbr.com
    Still want a fat bike....

Bike Build - Opinions Wanted

So I am going to build up a new commuter this winter and want your opinions on the parts list before I move forward. Do you have any positive or negative things to say about the parts I plan to use from personal experience? I plan to get moving and buy all the parts in the next month depending on the responses posted here. If you had a bad experience with something on the list, let me know what happened and suggest a replacement if you would that may fall in the same price range. I am trying to stick close to $1600.

Frame - Surly Ogre, 20 inch - $535 plus prep ($50?)
    Front Wheel - Velocity Dyad Reflective plus hub (not sure which hub) - $125ish
    Rear Wheel - Handspun Velocity Dyad Reflective + Alfine 8 + small parts kit - $320
    Shifter - Alfine rapidfire - $45
    Headset - Cane Creek 40 - $62
    Brake Levers - Cane Creek Flat Top - $40
    Brakes - Avid BB7 F/R - $120
    Stem - Salsa MotoAce SUL 105 mm - $30
    Crank (incl bottom bracket)- Truvativ FireX - $125
    Cables - Jagwire - $42
    Seatpost - No preference - $50
    Chain - LBS No preference - $15
    Total ~$1550

I plan to use the Surly Open Bar (handlebar) that I have on my current bike and I know that I could scavenge some additional parts (like the seatpost), but I am going to try and offer the old bike up for sale as complete as possible. What do you guys think? Suggestions?

Moderator Moderator
    The only thing on your build list I've used are the BB7's & I give them an A+. I don't know anything about the levers on your list.

Bedwards Of The West
    I had those Truvativ FireX cranks on a previous bike and liked them a lot for the price. No issues. Another option at about the same price is RaceFace's budget model. Do the FireX ones have an external BB now? The RaceFace ones do, and I'm a bitg fan of the external BB for the winter weather.

Also, SRAM chains are the way to go. Their master link alone is worth a few extra bucks. The PC850/PC950 chains are cheap and tough as nails.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

since 4/10/2009
    I wanna know where you're getting those prices on the wheelset you mention. It cost me that much to get Dyad reflective rims laced to Shimano M629 hubs (frame required centerlock disc hubs) front and rear. The Alfine 8 would have added another $100-$200 to that price. Maybe later. You doing the lacing yourself? Even still, the Alfine hub alone is about $300 give or take depending on where you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I had those Truvativ FireX cranks on a previous bike and liked them a lot for the price. No issues. Another option at about the same price is RaceFace's budget model. Do the FireX ones have an external BB now? The RaceFace ones do, and I'm a bitg fan of the external BB for the winter weather.
    Which RaceFace model is that? Not sure on the external BB for the Truvativ. I agree that I'd like the external BB because I plan to ride in the winter. Good advice on the chain too, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I wanna know where you're getting those prices on the wheelset you mention. It cost me that much to get Dyad reflective rims laced to Shimano M629 hubs (frame required centerlock disc hubs) front and rear. The Alfine 8 would have added another $100-$200 to that price. Maybe later. You doing the lacing yourself? Even still, the Alfine hub alone is about $300 give or take depending on where you find it.
    I am looking at a Handspun off ebay for the rear at $290, but I'll need the small parts kit I'm sure. I have been seeing that combo on ebay for a while at that price point.

As for the front, I don't know if I'll have that one for that price in the black reflective, but I see it here and there in silver for that. We'll see....

oops, double post

Bedwards Of The West
    My RaceFace cranks are the "RideXC" model. I'm not seeing them anymore, maybe they discontinued them...? But pricepoint has a killer deal on the "Deus" right now with an external BB for $149. Nice crank for the money. I built almost my whole last mountain bike with parts from the pricepoint 'end of the year sale.' Now is the time!!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    My RaceFace cranks are the "RideXC" model. I'm not seeing them anymore, maybe they discontinued them...? But pricepoint has a killer deal on the "Deus" right now with an external BB for $149. Nice crank for the money. I built almost my whole last mountain bike with parts from the pricepoint 'end of the year sale.' Now is the time!!
    Well I guess you're right, since after taking a quick look over there I can save $20 on the BB7s, almost $20 on the headset, get different levers that I think are better for the same money, save on the stem by grabbing a different one that is comparable, and I won't spend nearly as much on the seatpost..... Thanks for the advice!

since 4/10/2009
    if you're not picky, no reason you can't find a new post for $20 or less. I got an Easton EA70 for my commuter a few months ago. After using a Thomson Elite on my mtb, I just love that two-bolt clamp design and was stoked to find this nice Easton with a similar design for $20.

I got my crankset from fleabay as new OEM parts. Shimano FC-R553's. External BB but not named, so I think I paid $60 for 'em.

I got my wheelset from my LBS. Too bad I never saw that reflective Dyad/Alfine rear wheel, though. I did see a whole kit with the dynamo front for a good price when I was looking, but I didn't want the tank dynamo hub.

Don't forget to factor the cost of a SS ring and a cog for your Alfine...and maybe even some shorter chainring bolts. All together, those items probably tacked $100 onto my build.

Check your LBS to see if they've got any bits they need to get rid of for cheap. I got some nice compressionless brake housing for cheap from mine.

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    if you're not picky, no reason you can't find a new post for $20 or less. I got an Easton EA70 for my commuter a few months ago. After using a Thomson Elite on my mtb, I just love that two-bolt clamp design and was stoked to find this nice Easton with a similar design for $20.

I got my crankset from fleabay as new OEM parts. Shimano FC-R553's. External BB but not named, so I think I paid $60 for 'em.

I got my wheelset from my LBS. Too bad I never saw that reflective Dyad/Alfine rear wheel, though. I did see a whole kit with the dynamo front for a good price when I was looking, but I didn't want the tank dynamo hub.

Don't forget to factor the cost of a SS ring and a cog for your Alfine...and maybe even some shorter chainring bolts. All together, those items probably tacked $100 onto my build.

Check your LBS to see if they've got any bits they need to get rid of for cheap. I got some nice compressionless brake housing for cheap from mine.
    Good advice, I think I'll go cheapo on the post unless I find a reason not to somewhere in my travels.

I love the Dyad rim and was excited to find that combo on the rear. I've seen the alfine dynamo front combo places, but I think I will just skip the dynamo for now and wait until I want to upgrade and buy a nicer unit and spend a couple of bucks.

I am sure I'll be using the LBS for some of the work since I don't know brakes and cable type stuff and I don't have the tools for bottom bracket and headset, so I'll be sure to ask them about some of the smaller pieces parts. Good suggestion.

Any of you other experienced commuters have additional comments? Every little bit helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You won't need the $50 frame prep, and the eBay jagwire cables ($16 shipped) work great. My LBS quoted me $450 for the handspun Aldine/dyad wheel set with dynamo. Add light later when budget allows. Get a $30 salsa shaft seat post (closeout at universal cycles) and a nice chain. I'd get a $30 cane creek s3 headset too. Few spots in your list to save some money without losing quality.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    You won't need the $50 frame prep, and the eBay jagwire cables ($16 shipped) work great. My LBS quoted me $450 for the handspun Aldine/dyad wheel set with dynamo. Add light later when budget allows. Get a $30 salsa shaft seat post (closeout at universal cycles) and a nice chain. I'd get a $30 cane creek s3 headset too. Few spots in your list to save some money without losing quality.
    As I understand it, I would need the LBS to prep the frame and make sure the threads were clear of paint and whatnot. This isn't the case? How about framesaver?

Thanks for the other advice on the post and headset too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I haven't heard of surlys needing much frame prep. Frame saver is a good idea but not necessary.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

since 4/10/2009
    I would at least have the shop check the frame for facing and chasing needs. My On-One didn't need much for the most part, but the disc tabs absolutely needed it. And it pays off with brake performance (no rub, whatsoever). My FSR did not have its disc tabs faced and the brakes drag a little. I've been thinking about pulling the calipers off and having my shop face the disc tabs.

mtbr member
    Get Deore cranks instead of the FireX -- they're better and cheaper. The SD-7 brake levers feel better to me than the Cane Creek levers, and they're cheaper, too. I say go for the Dynamo hub now. It'll be worth it.

Motorizer
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    So I am going to build up a new commuter this winter...
    I am trying to stick close to $1600...
    What do you guys think? Suggestions?
    Just one, a gas motor-assist kit.
    I don't have to deal with snow here in Phoenix but it does get pretty nippy here and sometime wet like this week and for me just pedalling to assit the motor up to speed and then tucking down and in and let the motor take it from there.

mtbr member
    My Surly (Big Dummy) had a lot of paint pooling around the faces of the headtube, and bottom bracket shell. The threads in the shell were fine though. I used a sheet rock knife to scrape the paint off of the faced surfaces and all was good.

I recently built up a SRAM I-light dynohub wheel, and I couldn't be happier. It is so nice to have light without remembering to charge the batteries.

For a chain I wouldn't go with SRAM. I went though 2 chains (pc830) last year with 1200 miles on the first one, and about 1500 on the second one. I ended up with a KMC K510hx, and I already have almost 1200 miles on it with little sign of wear. That is a 1/8" chain, the 610hx is the same chain for 3/32".

If you have any snow/rain you will want fenders, and I recommend mud flaps. I made some out of old climbing webbing that extend an extra 6-7", and they keep the spray off my feet, and chain.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Get Deore cranks instead of the FireX -- they're better and cheaper. The SD-7 brake levers feel better to me than the Cane Creek levers, and they're cheaper, too. I say go for the Dynamo hub now. It'll be worth it.
    Others are recomending Race-Face cranks. I had a set (Deuce) on one of my mountain bikes and had a bad experience with them. I tried hard to love them, since they are a Northwest company (located up by Vancouver BC) and I had heard good things about them. The external bearings they shipped with the cranks were crappy (the seals were junk and they filled up with gunk after one wet weather ride) and I had trouble keeping the rings from loosening (even after loctite-ing them). I finally switched to Shimano XT cranks and have never looked back - highly recommend the Shimano cranks. I am glad that others have had a better experience with Race-Face.

I run BB7's on my commuter and have had a good experience with them.

Sounds like it will be a great bike when you are done!

I'll have a look at the frame and see how much prep it needs. My LBS is pretty cool and I think they will give me good advice too. I have never walked out of there thinking I got screwed somehow. Matter of fact, I have been turned away for service because the mechanic told me what I could do for the problem. I like them a lot.

I still haven't got all the parts, crank included, so I will look at the Deore or XT and see what the prices are. I may have some wiggle room since I've saved some money by shopping around.

Great advice guys, I appreciate all the feedback. Now I just need to finish my shopping and get this thing on the road.

EDIT: Thoughts on the Avid Speed Dial 7 levers from anyone? Might save a few bucks there.

Also, how much should I worry about stem and seatpost? I mean really on a commuter that will see limited trail time and that trail time won't be crazy trails.

Shimano SLX crank?
    Last edited by Dalton; 12-15-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Well, I put in a couple orders and so far I have shaved about $100 off my original plan. I ended up ordering:

Shimano SLX w/ Hollowtech - $120
    Avid BB7 Mech Disc x 2 - $96
    Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers - $20
    Cane Creek 40 - $45
    Race Face Evolve XC Stem - $15
    Truvativ Stylo post - $30

Still need to order up my wheelset, but I may wait until after xmas to do it. Then I grab the frame and such and I'm onto the build. First order of parts is on the porch right now. Exciting times.