"Bicyclists are Gay and Retarded" or Can NY DMV Give a Cyclist Points on License- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,716

    "Bicyclists are Gay and Retarded" or Can NY DMV Give a Cyclist Points on License

    First the comments, quality discourse per usual...

    Bill Burns KDKA News 14 hours ago

    Bicyclists are gay and retarded. They all need a good Irish a$$ kicking.

    Avatar
    middleright 11 hours ago parent

    this bicyclist will kick your ass Irish ass up and down the street punk! you are probably too fat to even walk!

    And the article...

    Bike Violation Could Result In Driver’s License Points For Cyclist CBS New York

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    363
    This is something that I don't totally understand. I understand the part that there has to be a penalty for breaking the law. However, you don't need a driver's license to ride a bicycle so how are the two things related (other than being traffic violations). Using this logic, infractions such as jaywalking should result in points off of someone's license as well. And what happens if a person doesn't have a driver's license?
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

  3. #3
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    28,727
    good to see a lawyer comment there that a violation while riding a bicycle should not translate into points on the driver's license. though it's a good question whether the cyclist will get out of the entire penalty there. I'm curious how the guy was riding for the officer to give him a failure to yield to pedestrians ticket.

    I'm sure he went through the crosswalk while pedestrians were present somewhere in the crosswalk, but how did he do so? did he blow through without slowing down? did he slow down and find a gap (every definition I've seen of "yield" would include this)? was the crosswalk full of people, or was there only a single person?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,400
    Since unlicensed cyclists can't lose points, this would appear to be a case of unequal treatment which may well be why the points can get reversed.

    I assume pedestrians had to fell in fear for their safety. Here you have to yield to pedestrians in or about to step into your side of the crosswalk. As a pedestrian I have to watch as most drivers forget that.

    BrianMc

  5. #5
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,223
    Make of Vehicle:
    Surly

    Model:
    Crosscheck coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Since unlicensed cyclists can't lose points, this would appear to be a case of unequal treatment which may well be why the points can get reversed.
    Yeah, that`s my view too. I wish there were some kind of "stick" to be employed, but that ain`t it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rlb81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    278
    this bicyclist will kick your ass Irish ass up and down the street punk! you are probably too fat to even walk!
    I literally LOLd
    Negative rep, please.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,716
    I think it depends a lot on your state laws. I'm pretty sure around here that you can lose a hunting license for stuff like not paying child support or other unrelated offenses, so I'm guessing drivers license points could work the same way in some areas.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,716
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Make of Vehicle:
    Surly

    Model:
    Crosscheck coupe
    classic!

  9. #9
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,223
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I'm pretty sure around here that you can lose a hunting license for stuff like not paying child support or other unrelated offenses, so I'm guessing drivers license points could work the same way in some areas.
    I`ve never heard of hunting licenses being revoked as punishment for anything, but they go after just about anything for unpaid child support. Drivers license is a very common way that my state uses, and the feds can even pull your passport, which is how it ended up that my bonehead bother couldn`t go to our wedding. But since he`s in the can again, I don`t think he really has much need for a passport or a drivers license anyway

  10. #10
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    28,727
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I`ve never heard of hunting licenses being revoked as punishment for anything, but they go after just about anything for unpaid child support. Drivers license is a very common way that my state uses, and the feds can even pull your passport, which is how it ended up that my bonehead bother couldn`t go to our wedding. But since he`s in the can again, I don`t think he really has much need for a passport or a drivers license anyway
    Hunting licenses get revoked for life for poaching on a regular basis.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I`ve never heard of hunting licenses being revoked as punishment for anything,:
    It's VT. Going after someone's hunting license would be like taking away our right to ride a bike.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rlb81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I think it depends a lot on your state laws. I'm pretty sure around here that you can lose a hunting license for stuff like not paying child support or other unrelated offenses, so I'm guessing drivers license points could work the same way in some areas.
    I'm in NJ and we have this also for hunting and fishing licenses. There was talk about having it apply to professional licensure (engineers, doctors, etc.) a few years ago but I'm not sure if that ever came about. I think such punishments are not fair (and do not fit the crime, really) because not all deadbeats hunt, fish etc.

    If the fine or punishment for breaking a law cannot be equally executed across the entire population then (IMO) it isn't a fair punishment.
    Negative rep, please.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Since unlicensed cyclists can't lose points, this would appear to be a case of unequal treatment which may well be why the points can get reversed.

    I assume pedestrians had to fell in fear for their safety. Here you have to yield to pedestrians in or about to step into your side of the crosswalk. As a pedestrian I have to watch as most drivers forget that.

    BrianMc
    I think what happens is they have points attached to there name in the system...probably requires a unissued drivers license # for the computers to track...

    Then the same rules apply for removing the points...ie courses and time....

    This would be applied when an unlicesened driver commits a highway traffic act violation while iilegally driving....

    Penalties could include a life time ban from driving if the iilegal driver was druck and killed someone.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.