Bicycle bell/horn- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c8stom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    429

    Bicycle bell/horn

    Hi all


    I my part of the world, it is a requirement by law that bicycles have a bell. Currently, I use a cateye one which works pretty well but for whatever reason, many cyclists and pedestrians I come across never seem to hear it. So, I installed an additional hornet horn ( > 110 db ) to my handlebar but because it does not sound like a bell and more like shrill, people seem to have no idea what it is and assume it's not a cyclist and again, ignore it. As a last resort, I shout and swear but that has not done much good for my throat.


    Has anyone come across any loud bicycle bell products ? ( electric or manual )

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlipSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    538
    I assume the cateye you have is a ping bell?

    You could try a more traditional style bell, the sort with the screw on top and mechanism inside which produces several rings in one movement.

    Something like this

    dotcomgiftshop Classic Chrome Bicycle Bell: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
    2018 commutes - 26 days, 542 miles

  3. #3
    Straight out tha traila
    Reputation: EugeneTheJeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    979
    I use the incredibell. It's loud!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,531
    Crane Hammer Strike bells are about as loud as a mechanical bell can get. They are not offensive by any means, but they are quite loud.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c8stom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    I assume the cateye you have is a ping bell?

    You could try a more traditional style bell, the sort with the screw on top and mechanism inside which produces several rings in one movement.

    Something like this

    dotcomgiftshop Classic Chrome Bicycle Bell: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
    Yup, it's a ping bell.

    Thanks. I'll google your suggestions

  6. #6
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,287
    I have had the best luck with the Incredibell Brass Duet. It's loud, clear, and sounds undeniably like a bike Bell.

  7. #7
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,314
    IME, there's a large proportion of people who will ignore anything, including yelling at them to pay attention.

    I have a Spurcycle. It's a nice-sounding bell. I ding it twice when I use it. I often get appreciative comments from folks who DO pay attention, so I know it's audible.

    I wish I still had the battery-powered handlebar-mounted machine squirt gun my uncle bought me when I was a kid for the people who don't pay attention.

  8. #8
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,314
    I had one of the perpetually oblivious yesterday. Group of 3 slow leisure riders on a mup i was using for my evening commute. Double ding on my bell and 2 riders in the group condensed to the right. 3rd rider continued ON the center line. I moved left to pass, double-dinged again, no response. One of her friends proceeded to yell at her, no response. Oncoming rider, so I had to stay close to the middle of the trail. At this point, I was continuously dinging while the rider's friend continued to yell at her.

    Amazingly, no earbuds. Just dead to the world. My 140db airzound horn probably would not have been enough had it been installed.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c8stom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    429
    I picked up a Go Pro last week and used it yesterday for the first time to try to capture the senerity of my ride. Instead, I had two near crashes because of idiots suddenly doing U-turns without looking / signalling beforehand. There were also quite a few people who swung from the left to the right of the lane for no apparent reason despite me dinging my bell as I approached to overtake. I suspect they lost balance.

    I recall when I was growing up in the UK, my schools offered free cycling proficiency courses. Not sure if that had a major impact but I recall my generation were all alert cyclists and had a very good sense of road safety and ettiquette.

    On my regular cycle route now, amubulances and motorbike medics are a very frequent site. I've seen quite a few people completely lose the bike and crash riding on a wide flat tarmac surface with no imperfections. The people behind them then add to the crash as they panic an cannot stop.

    Back to bells, I bought a different bell which allows for more rapid dinging like a firebell. It seems louder but as you say, I don't think loudness is the issue here

    I checked out the Spurcycle. Very nice but very pricey at my LBS.

  10. #10
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,314
    yeah, the spurcycle bell is a little spendy. But the sound of it is so pleasant, it has a nice volume, and a good, sustained ring. it was worth the cost, IMO.

    I have a couple of Knog Oi bells coming from the Kickstarter, too. I needed some more bells, and those look and sound good, too. I like how they have a cable pass-through for road bike cables, so one of them is going on my wife's roadie for sure. Not sure if I'll put the other on my commuter, or my mtb.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: milliesand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    <<SNIP>>
    I wish I still had the battery-powered handlebar-mounted machine squirt gun my uncle bought me when I was a kid for the people who don't pay attention.
    How's this? A little heavy when loaded, but...
    http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Rocket-Cyc.../dp/B00O5ZO066

  12. #12
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,314
    Quote Originally Posted by milliesand View Post
    How's this? A little heavy when loaded, but...
    http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Rocket-Cyc.../dp/B00O5ZO066
    the one my uncle gave me was way cooler than that.

    I'll say that the fart bubbler on the recommended list caught my attention.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Rocket-013...F9NA17JGJ9PDDX

  13. #13
    Deadrise & Derailleurs
    Reputation: curtiseddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    55
    I am partial to the "ring-ring" bells. I like the Mirrycle Incredibell Big Bell. However, it does not fit on 31.8mm (drop) bar. Can anyone recommend a similar bell with 31.8 capability or and idea to retro fit?
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

  14. #14
    Air Pirate
    Reputation: Bokchoicowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    +1 for the Incredibell Brass Duet. Have had good experiences with that.

    I wouldn't advise the Spurcycle bell due to it's bullsh*t price. Good idea but ridiculous pricing...I went ahead and got one of those Rock Bros Chinese made copies of the Spurcycle bell just to be spiteful. Works pretty well, and it was a decent price...more realistic than the real-thing at $9.69 shipped...from China!

    I would fully support those Spurcycle guys if they had priced their bell reasonably...not at Rapha pricing levels! I remember them even setting an estimate of the pricing for their bell at a stupid high $35 when in Kickstarter...when it hit production it rose to $50! A hand painted Suzu Crane bell can be had for $25!

    I love the Knog Oi. $20 or $35 for a titanium version...still cheaper than the bullsh*t Spurcycle.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

  15. #15
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,451
    I just yell "DING!" really loud.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  16. #16
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    +1 for the Incredibell Brass Duet. Have had good experiences with that.

    I wouldn't advise the Spurcycle bell due to it's bullsh*t price. Good idea but ridiculous pricing...I went ahead and got one of those Rock Bros Chinese made copies of the Spurcycle bell just to be spiteful. Works pretty well, and it was a decent price...more realistic than the real-thing at $9.69 shipped...from China!

    I would fully support those Spurcycle guys if they had priced their bell reasonably...not at Rapha pricing levels! I remember them even setting an estimate of the pricing for their bell at a stupid high $35 when in Kickstarter...when it hit production it rose to $50! A hand painted Suzu Crane bell can be had for $25!

    I love the Knog Oi. $20 or $35 for a titanium version...still cheaper than the bullsh*t Spurcycle.
    Guess you must hate the small guy doing something well, huh? Okay, so you aren't their market. Move along. You gonna pi$$ and moan about the price of a hand-painted Silca Superpista pump, too? It's way out of my league, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,586

  18. #18
    Air Pirate
    Reputation: Bokchoicowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Guess you must hate the small guy doing something well, huh? Okay, so you aren't their market. Move along. You gonna pi$$ and moan about the price of a hand-painted Silca Superpista pump, too? It's way out of my league, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it.
    Nah, it aint the small guy doing something well....it is about being a rip-off. Small guy, big guy...doesn't matter, if they are ripping off the consumer I find it distasteful.

    I agree the Silca stuff is way overpriced but beautiful, thought that for a long time...nice looking pumps. But they do not really work all that well, or bring anything NEW to the market to justify the cost....

    ...there it is...justify....I don't believe Spurcycle's manufacturing or assembly process justifies that price. The design does not justify that price. The aesthetics...from my view does not justify the price. Do they bring something new to the market that nobody else has really done to justify the price?
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

  19. #19
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Nah, it aint the small guy doing something well....it is about being a rip-off. Small guy, big guy...doesn't matter, if they are ripping off the consumer I find it distasteful.

    I agree the Silca stuff is way overpriced but beautiful, thought that for a long time...nice looking pumps. But they do not really work all that well, or bring anything NEW to the market to justify the cost....

    ...there it is...justify....I don't believe Spurcycle's manufacturing or assembly process justifies that price. The design does not justify that price. The aesthetics...from my view does not justify the price. Do they bring something new to the market that nobody else has really done to justify the price?
    That's just all your opinion, though.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,285
    I'm a fan of the classic multi-ring bike bells, but ultimately, you have a bell on your bike. Legally, you're compliant. If people are idiots who can't pay attention to what's going on around them, so be it.

    If you really want to be obnoxious though, a bullhorn with the annoying musical songs.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I'm a fan of the classic multi-ring bike bells, but ultimately, you have a bell on your bike. Legally, you're compliant. If people are idiots who can't pay attention to what's going on around them, so be it.

    If you really want to be obnoxious though, a bullhorn with the annoying musical songs.
    Bicycle bell/horn-flugel_horns.jpg

    honky honky

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c8stom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I'm a fan of the classic multi-ring bike bells, but ultimately, you have a bell on your bike. Legally, you're compliant. If people are idiots who can't pay attention to what's going on around them, so be it.

    If you really want to be obnoxious though, a bullhorn with the annoying musical songs.
    If obnoxious works, then obnoxious I will be.

    This looks interesting but cannot find any info in it
    MYBELL

  23. #23
    Air Pirate
    Reputation: Bokchoicowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That's just all your opinion, though.
    Harold...of course it is just my opinion. That is all I am posting.

    I know there are a lot of fans of the Spurcycle bell, those that believe it is the Next Big Thing in cycling. That is cool. I get it. They are free to post their opinion, such as you have, and I can totally respect it. Doesn't change my feelings, but I totally respect the other opinion. What I posted is an explanation as to why I have that opinion. Nothing more.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

  24. #24
    Air Pirate
    Reputation: Bokchoicowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by c8stom View Post
    If obnoxious works, then obnoxious I will be.

    This looks interesting but cannot find any info in it
    MYBELL
    Insert Coin semifinalist: MYBELL is an extremely loud and customizable electronic bike bell

    MYBELL keeps cyclists safe by blasting their MP3s of choice (hands-on)

    MyBell - The MP3 Playing, LED Flashing Electronic Bike Bell - Bikerumor

    If you are interested in an electronic horn, check out the ORP: https://orpland.com/

    Bicycle bell/horn-large_orp-smart-horn-th.jpg
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,504
    I use a crane brass bell, work just fine.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: c8stom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    429
    I purchased a Cateye Volt 1600 and tried using the Hyper Constant mode. The flash seems to grab alot of people's attention even during the day and stops them in their tracks. The flash is intense. Seems much better to have a visual and audible alert rather than one on its own

  27. #27
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,314
    I use a light on a flash mode, too. I generally DON'T use it on the greenway paths during the daytime. I just don't find that oncoming traffic on the greenway is as much of an issue as same-way traffic, which is where the audible alert really comes into play. The light gets used all the time on the roads, though. I find it invaluable there, even during daylight, and ESPECIALLY in dawn/dusk and on overcast/foggy days. I use it enough to the point where the next thing I do to my commuter (after this year's drivetrain overhaul) will be to buy a Schmidt dynamo hub and lights and have my front wheel rebuilt. Once I get that done, I will probably be running lights 100% of the time.

Similar Threads

  1. Bell/Horn Thread. What's your favorite?
    By Harold in forum Commuting
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-24-2015, 11:52 AM
  2. Bell Gage vs Bell Volt - Review and Comparison
    By hiroshima in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 11:24 AM
  3. bell/horn? pssh I have disc brakes!
    By kwkouki in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 08:41 PM
  4. Motorcycle Horn on a Bicycle
    By Dion in forum Commuting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 05:35 AM
  5. Bicycle Bell
    By GrannyGearGnome in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.