Best winter commute tires ?- Mtbr.com
    Huckin' trails

Best winter commute tires ?

For a given price range of around $20 (when on sale) and not studded ?

Looking for something to fit a old 95ish steel hardtail, so I don't think any bigger than 2.1 for the rear and same for the front. It's gonna be used mostly on wet to snow packed pavement for about 5km each day and once in a while for off-road on dry to snow packed trails.

Gotta have deep threads to clear off the snow and good contact path for stability on icy surface.

Is something like the Maxxis Ignitor (on sales right now for $17) would be a good front choice or should we go for some super tacky ones ?

We're doing fine right now with some standard tires, but if we could have better, we wouldn't mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    Got a 2.1 Nevagal on sale for $20. See how it goes as a front tire this winter.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

~ B A D A S S ~
    riding without studs on ice = hurts

I recommend the ice spikers and if you can dole out more cash the similar nokians.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    riding without studs on ice = hurts

I recommend the ice spikers and if you can dole out more cash the similar nokians.
    I know about stud. He just don't need them for riding on wet pavement. And there not much ice on the streets anyways. But I have my own set of DIY studded tires and I do appreciate the extra control they offer. I still has to experience real trail riding on ice, since my previous winter MTB rides have been over hard pack snow and slush only.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Or something in between like a WTB All Terrain!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm using Nokian Extreme 294... But I live in Iceland so that might change things a bit...
    Best regards!
    Haraldur Helgi

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I have these in a 29x2.0" version.
    Pro: Cheap price, min-psi of 35 psi, not a bad tire. Supple.
    Con: Not as supple as some of the cruiser dedicated tires. Puncture resistance on the cutout is terrible; the rest of the tire is fine. Weight. Widest available size is 2.0". The cutouts make an annoying sound while cornering on wet ground.

Someone wise once told me that tread only makes sense if you roll the bike over the surface and it leaves an imprint behind. I think those are very true. If you're rolling on mostly pavement, Serfas Drifter's are probably going to be just fine, but so will Big Apples or Marathon Supreme tires (they will be the cheapest). For shallow snow, I'd go with the WTB All Terrain, maybe some sort of light trail tire like a Continental Contact. For ice, nothing beats a dedicated ice tire with studs like the Nokians.

It also comes down to how much it will cost too. Cost of injury vs. likelihood of injury vs. cost of tires. Nokians will seem very cheap if you're getting stretchered in to an ambulance with a broken leg after crashing out on the three days of ice your city sees... or so my coworker told me after he bought some Nokians for his Kona Sutra.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Got a 2.1 Nevagal on sale for $20. See how it goes as a front tire this winter.
    Went to the LBS to pick up my new headlight and asked the guy there what he uses for his winter commute and he recommended the Kenda Nevegals or the Specialized Captain Controls. He said he personally likes the Nevegals better and he runs them tubeless with only 20lbs of air in them and they grip like crazy.

Members who have read this thread: 0