best way to lock bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

best way to lock bike

Is it better to get the standard bike ulock and lock bike and cable to parking meter. Or is it better to buy those locking skewers i saw at my local performance bike shop and buy smaller ulock. Only problem with smaller ulock is will it go around a parking meter. I have seen alot of ss messengers using the smaller ulock locking tt to anything it would go around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

locking skewers plus

I've seen locking skewer kits that also include seat post locks, and threadless stem locks so they can't steal your fork,disc brake, and wheel together. Pinhead is one brand. There are probably others. Bicycle messengers probably wont be away from their bikes very long. If you commute to work and thieves know you'll be gone 8 hours maybe a massive lock that you can leave locked to where you park might be better. If you have a light fast bike you might not want to haul a huge lock around all the time. Of course a big U lock might be useful for bashing muggers (see my thread about this).

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic300
    Is it better to get the standard bike ulock and lock bike and cable to parking meter. Or is it better to buy those locking skewers i saw at my local performance bike shop and buy smaller ulock. Only problem with smaller ulock is will it go around a parking meter. I have seen alot of ss messengers using the smaller ulock locking tt to anything it would go around.
    Hmmmm ... I use a u-lock (dunno if you'd call it small or large...medium, perhaps ??? and I also run a cable through both wheels and frame, locking the lock itself through my big ring/chain. ....and when feeling extra paranoid, I'll shift it into big rig/small cog combo and unhook brake straddle cables, just to hinder a smooth escape if/when locks are defeated. Have been commuting for years, never in too high crime of an area, and have had no problems, other than folks messing with my shifters, etc. *crossing my fingers and toes so as to not have jinxed myself*

NormalNorm
    I just bought a Kyptonite New York lock. Havent used it yet, but it had great reviews on it. Pretty much bomb proof.... I think the best method is through the stays/rear wheel/attached front wheel.

Never heard about the seatpost/stem type of locks. Great idea....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Newbie question

Was thinking about the ulock...

Can you put the ulock around the back part of the frame + rear wheel
    Then take the front wheel off (quick release) and position it parallel to the rear frame/wheel and lock it with the same ulock?

In other words use 1 ulock to lock frame and both wheels.

Though I do not know if this leads to scratching the forks or other part of the bottom of the bike with the front wheel removed.

Let me know what you think.

Moderator Moderator
    It should be do-able for most road bikes with regular rims, but I found it to be a pain in the neck to get it "just so" to fit. Alternatives I've seen (my Dad lives in NYC) are the u-lock for the frame/rear wheel, with a separate loop-ended cable attached to it to go through the front wheel (so you only have to unlock the u-lock), or even more popular, the square-sided chains (heavy, but they must be hard to cut).

namagomi
    Hardened Ulocks and hardened steel chains to something really strong.

I would use pitlock skewers over pinheads. Be sure to get one for your headset lest your fork disappear... also consider going single-speed... basically take anything valuable off the ride if you're gonna leave it somewhere 8hrs.

Realize that if somebody wants it they'll take it.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Be sure to get one for your headset lest your fork disappear...
    I never thought of that- is theft that bad where you are?

Petrobike, I`m fortunate to live and work in pretty safe areas, so I don`t use U-locks. I think MTBX is probably on track though- both cable and U-lock is usually recomended for high crime areas because they take different equipment to break, so you`re more likely to be passed up by a thief. Also, if you use a U-lock you don`t need to lock around both the frame AND the wheel. Locking only around the wheel, but in a part where the wheel would have to be pulled through the frame accomplishes the same thing with a smaller lock:

Sheldon Brown explains it and gives a few more security tips on his website.
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    locking skewers come right off with vice grips. take them off at the shop all the time

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    1 Ulock through my Rear wheel and 1 side of the seat stays and a pole. The other Ulock from the frame to the front wheel. I also have a bit of chain from my seat rail to my frame. I'd be bummed if my post got jacket. but WAY more bummed if my toupe did. I also bought one of those seat clamps with the locking thing. It's basically a weird shaped wrench but instead of using it i took the bolt and am using it for my top cap. It sits flush and my fork is safe now
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

No-Brakes Cougar
    In High School, I used a u-lock to lock the frame to the bike rack, with a cable going through the wheels, securing them to the frame. I had one bike jacked and another where they cut the cable but left the bike for some reason. These days, I just have a basic cable lock, thread it through the frame and wheels and leave it at that. I bring my bike inside my work so it rarely gets left alone outside and never for very long. If I left my bike outside for longer and/or in a potentially high theft area, I would probably go back to using a u-lock.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    locking skewers come right off with vice grips. take them off at the shop all the time
    Theft PROOF is either impossible or so much trouble you`ll never get to ride it yourself. Theft RESISTANT is probably the best you can hope for and everybody has to judge the situation to decide what the best course of action is.
    Recalculating....

Members who have read this thread: 0