Best pack for commuting- Mtbr.com
    ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007

Best pack for commuting

I commute to school, work, what ever and my general commute is only 3 miles but when I'm carrying my books it's pretty uncomfortable and just doesn't feel right while I'm riding my bike . My question is what is the best pack for commuting? I really don't want racks because I only have one bike. I'm leaning towards a messenger bag but I don't know if it will make a difference. What do you guys use?

Thanks for any input.

Steve
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Get a Chrome Metropolis. I've use it everyday for years. It's dirty, abused, shows no wear, waterproof, tons of room. $135. Do it.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    Thats what I was thinking about but it looks kinda big, how does its size feel on your back? I'm kind of thinking about going for the chrome citizen (next size down from the metropolis) but I'm thinking it might be a little small.

Nov 2004
    or a pack from banjo brothers. good stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Before I went to rack/trunkbag with fold out panniers, i used a Northface Recon backpack. Locks in place comfortably, roomy, hydration compatible. Great pack.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Get a toppeak front basket..

Clip and go. If u going for weekend downhill ride, just clip off and yr bic will again looks like a serious MTB.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Topea...657-c-377.html

is buachail foighneach me
    i used to be a messenger. the messenger bags that have the strap that goes diagonally across your chest are designed for the convenience of swinging it around for quick access. they are NOT the most comfortable way to carry a load on your back. a two strap backpack will win every time for comfort. if you have a heavy load with books and all, look for thick shoulder straps, a waist strap and chest strap to help evenly distribute the load. the back of the bag(the part that contacts your back) should be firm and ventilated as well. doesn't have to have a rigid frame, but a foam material sewn in goes a long way to adding support.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Deuter Race Air X

i love using backpacks keeps everything centralized on your back and Deuter's packs have a nice feature that allows tons of airflow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I use a Chrome Metro. I like the bag very much. But I think Sean Salach makes some very good points about messenger bags. The OP may want to check out the Chrome back packs. Good stuff. I have seen them in use and they are very nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have carried some very heavy loads in my Metropolis and have found it stable and very comfortable. My only real complaint (which isn't much of a complaint) is that the bag gets heavy and stressful to carry when walking as the entire load is only on one shoulder. I rarely walk so I don't care.

Apr 2008
    My experience echoes Sean Salach's: I had a Metropolis and it was awesome...UNTIL I started riding with a 17" laptop et cetera (maybe 12+ lbs) on a real commute every day, and it was torture. I immediately got a backpack, which happened to be one of the Chromes as well (they're local, gotta support em!), and things were much happier. If you want a Chrome backpack, the very largest size (which I got for my needs) does have over the shoulder visibility problems due to its width. Other than that, utterly love it.

But in terms of other brands, you've got a huuuuuuge world of packs to choose from. You need to seriously take all your daily commute stuff, pack it into a bag in a store, and try the fit. That's the only way to be sure. Sean's also got it right in terms of sternum and waist straps; they help a lot, just don't get any that are super thick. I happen to be a huge fan of Osprey packs, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Just to throw in a few cents worth... I tried the messenger bag thing for 6 months, but found that with heavy loads, the one-shoulder imbalance was really tweaking my neck and shoulder muscles. I switched to a Deuter (futura 28), and it is a great bag. Regardless of brand though, for heavy loads, I'd go for a decent backpack over the messenger bag any day. The downside is that you lose cool points....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm not a big fan of a lotta heavy books in a sack on your back. Too high, too uncomfortable, makes your ride more difficult. Why would you NOT want a $20.00 Pletscher rack, made in Switzerland since 1962, on your bike? They're so retro, they're cool, and they work great with chunky, compact loads like books, or heavy U locks, or the like...especially because of the spring loaded clamp. Wouldn't be without mine, and I've only got one bike at the moment as well

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I tend ride stunts and jumps that are out of my skill level quite often so I crash every now and then, and I figure the rack will just get knarled up in those. Also I commute every day rain or shine and I don't like the idea of having a separate bag or my main bag sitting on a rack. Although if I build a straight commute bike in the future I picture panniers and saddle bags on it.

Big Wheeler

Members who have read this thread: 0