Best minimal LED lighting for commuting?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best minimal LED lighting for commuting?

Any suggestions on the best/brightest LED lighting that is really minimal looking on a bike?

Small, compact, hardly noticeable while not lit up?

I am trying to faze out my old bulky Cat-Eye lighting and want to avoid using my HID headlight for straight up night riding.

Suggestions?

Bedwards Of The West
    I have heard good things about the 'frog' lights: http://www.amazon.com/Knog-Twinpack-...6659371&sr=8-3

They are certainly low profile. They wrap around your handlebar/seatpost, and you can get them in lots of colors to match your bike. I have no experience with how bright they are, but you could put several of them on your bars and they'd blend right in...it would just look like a lumpy bar.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

ride the moment
    best... minimal... pick one
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    No best of both worlds?

The cyst looks pretty promising. I don't want to be put into a hipster group for using them though...

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshed
    No best of both worlds?

The cyst looks pretty promising. I don't want to be put into a hipster group for using them though...
    Don't worry, lots of people use them. I think they're kinda cool myself.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    best... minimal... pick one
    PS I did say best minimal. =]

I Have Cookies
    thinkin about those myself!!! it's gettin dark around here earlyer.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Beetlejuice!
    These are getting good reviews: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" - Sheldon

mtbr member
    I have on on my mtb that I use riding to and from the trail when I night ride. But that is very close and not over busy streets.

I don't think they put out enough light for a commute. Certainly not enough light for a headlight and I would use something brighter on the rear for riding in traffic.

mtbr member
    Baja Designs Strykr led all the way. You will not know it's even there.

Ok just kidding.
    Contact us with your video production needs.
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Check out the MagicShine off of Geoman.

mtbr member
    The Planet BIke super LED is the brightest $20 LED I have seen. Makes me feel 100% sure people coming up behind me can see me. It's blinding if you look at it straight-on.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI 4
    Cervelo R3
    Specialized Crux Elite

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by joshed
    PS I did say best minimal. =]
    It was a weak attempt at being a smartass. It gets dark at 4:30 here and rains all winter long so I tend to like really bright lights. I commute with my NiteRider MiNewt and two planet bike superflash tail lights. Hi-vis jacket and lots of reflective tape.

I have the half watt planet bike headlight. I would get the 1 watt. Of coarse all the lights guzzle batteries so get some rechargeables. Two sets so you always have a freshly charged set ready to go.

I can't imagine those frogs doing much more than making you legal.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Yeah I figure it will help me be more visible in the flashing mode in the morning/late afternoon to and from work.

As for actual night riding, I have the Niterider Enduro Lithium HID light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Why not think outside the box and try this http://reflectivelyyours.com/
    My favorite is the black tape that glows gold.
    Not sayin you still don't need blinkies.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

Self-defeatist
    Two weeks ago I bought a flashlight kit from Home Depot that contained three white-LED flashlights, two headlamps with a switch for red or white light, and enough batteries for all five items for...$15CDN.

I use o-rings to fasten the flashlights to the bars and I've got a section of tube zip-tied over the one that I use for rain rides. I've even wrapped the headlamps around our cruiser bikes' seat tubes and switched the red light on for use as a taillight. They're my be-seen lights and bright enough for medium speeds in full darkness. That said, I wish there was a flash setting. I'll probably replace the batteries with rechargables as the originals wear out.

I've got a couple of mi-newt minis for 'see' lights.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Blackburn Flea. Rechargeable and actually pretty bright for as small as they are.

jrm
    mtbr member

Removable?

The cygolite triden is pretty stealthy. battery fits on underside of stem and the lamp detaches. Ive found any thing smaller gets washed out by headlights and street lighting.

Joined the magicshine bandwagon but havent received the light yet. Anyone having issues with contacting or getting an order update from dealextreme.

mtbr member
    Knog Frog 10 bucks. Better because it's twice the light: Knog Beetle 20 bucks. I've used the Frog's, white in front, red in rear, on blink mode for all my night commutes. They are awesome, revolutionized the mini blinkies.

The key to minimal is be seen by cars, not to see. It's nice to have a megawatt LED headlight that resembles a motorcycle, but that's really only a luxury for off-road technical night riding. At least in the Bay Area, majority of where you are riding is so well lit, there's no need for a headlight. Consider vehicles that forget to turn on their headlights at night because the streets and freeway are adequately lit.
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    Knog Frog 10 bucks. Better because it's twice the light: Knog Beetle 20 bucks. I've used the Frog's, white in front, red in rear, on blink mode for all my night commutes. They are awesome, revolutionized the mini blinkies.

The key to minimal is be seen by cars, not to see. It's nice to have a megawatt LED headlight that resembles a motorcycle, but that's really only a luxury for off-road technical night riding. At least in the Bay Area, majority of where you are riding is so well lit, there's no need for a headlight. Consider vehicles that forget to turn on their headlights at night because the streets and freeway are adequately lit.
    not all streets are equally lit. i have a couple frogs, but I don't trust them for real visibility on the street. the bike path at sunset or if it's a little dark and grey is fine. however, i totally missed a large pothole on my street cuz it has no street lights. hurt my wrist, almost crashed in front of a car behind me, and created a flat spot in my rim. now i'm looking at something a bit more powerful then even the old trek "bike light" i'm using now.

i'm considering one of these P7's because they're brighter and inexpensive. I can also pop them off the bike easily while I go to class and not have to carry around a heavy battery pack.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    I have the 2 Watt Planet Bike "blaze". It's really bright and only uses 2 AA batteries. Supposed to last 15 hours, I have only used it for an hour so far so can't say how accurate that is.

Jul 2007
    To hell with minimal looking! I want to see and be seen. Since I already have lights for mountain biking at night (a TriNewt for the helmet and Minewt 400 Dual for the bars), and most of my commute is in the dark, that is what I run. I do run the lights on low setting and keep them aimed down so as not to blind fellow cyclists.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Not into minimalist lighting myself, either; my LED tail light has four lighting modes, I have a helmet light that has one bright main, three switchable lesser ones, and two red ones -- plus another red on the battery pack at the back of the helmet; the reds also can switch between steady and flashing.

My handlebar light is an off-brand flashlight -- one bright LED in the end, and a BANK OF 60 LEDs IN THE SIDE! The 60 light my way fairly well, and I'm pretty much guaranteed to be seen!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    I ended up getting 2 knog frogs for Christmas and I am VERY happy with the quality and brightness of the LED's.

I would highly recommend.

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wilonpill
    Check out the MagicShine off of Geoman.
    +23094823094832098

I have ridden with some cheapy lights for the 1.5+ years of commuting. I just recently got a MagicShine, and while not minimal....this thing pumps out light.

I got the helmet mount so I can make SURE cars see me. Still working out how to 100% secure it to my helmet, but it's reasonable so now.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I am not a huge fan of Knog Frogs. I had a pair for commuting because I like their minimalism and they were inexpensive. In the end they really don't make enough light- I've had drivers tell me they couldn't see me. I also couldn't ride any streets that didn't have good lighting without nailing potholes or worrying about accidental off paved path adventures.

I bought a Princeton EOS headlight- fantastic. It can easily be mounted on the handlebars, your helmet or on a headband when you are not on the bike (hiking during the winter- camping trips, etc) On flash the batteries last a long time, you can ride fast and see far enough ahead of you in pitch black conditions (I only recommend this for pavement). It is also simple to move the light from the helmet mount to the headband. For headlights I think it is really helpful to have something mounted on your helmet, even though it is really dorky- I take dark bike paths home and I often have to watch out for nutria trying to run back across the road for the water. I can watch the edge of the path and see them or the light reflecting off their eyes and be prepared for it to streak across in front of me.

For the back light I use a Planet Bike Superflash. Great battery life, very visable and very waterproof. The pair make it fairly certain that you can deal with any low light situation year round, and probably most importantly, let motorists know that you are there really far in advance.

mtbr member
    Hey, check these lights out. They are a little smaller than the frogs, and have two LEDs, so twice as bright. I just picked one up at the LBS for $9.99.

http://www.infini.tw/product_flashin...ty_lights.html

I don't know what's up with the model though. Bigger pictures of the lights would be more helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the Knog Beetle. It's nice to stash in my bag for emergencies, since it's so small, but I don't like to rely on it to be seen on a day to day basis.

I have a black diamond hiking headlamp with a flash mode that I generally use for commuting at night. Way more powerful than the Knog, and I can point it at cars in intersections to make sure I'm being seen.

The Dinotte 400L/600L combo I use for night MTB comes in handy if I take a night road ride beyond the street lights, but is overkill on a day to day basis.

Also, love the blog post on hipster cysts!
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    I keep Knog's on my bike at all times for an emergency front white light and a red rear light.

When intentionally night riding for commuting, I have a Magicshine on the bars. When nightriding on trail I have a Magicshine on the bars and a Magicshine on my helmet.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    If you are going to commute at night or in low-light conditions, don't go minimal. Screw looks, safety is most important.

I run a Dinotte 140L on the back of my rack + a PB Superflash on the back of my helmet. Dinotte 600L goes on top of my helmet for front lighting. Magicshines are a great choice for front lighting - inexpensive and bright (just watch that the battery does not get wet).

No motorist is ever going to be able to say that they "could not see me".

mtbr member
    I use the Knog on the front and the Superflash on the back. No complaints so far.

mtbr member
    I've been using the NR Mini-USB. It is so light, I will mount the battery on my helmet.

Jan 2010
    I just got a blackburn flea rear light. That little bugger is BRIGHT. Pricey but recharges in your computer usb port.

Members who have read this thread: 0