Best gearing for converted train lines, paved trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best gearing for converted train lines, paved trails

I've got an old MTB circa 1993 that I'm considering converting to a paved trail, vacation, commuter type...thing.

I'm interested in going the 1 x 9 route.

I currently ride a 27 speed mtb and a 32 x 20 SS 29er mtb.

I've found with the 29er, I don't have the need for so many gears.

Would a 38t chainring up front with 9 gears in the rear suffice for mostly flat, paved, or crushed limestone trails?

Thanks for any opinions!

weirdo
    You can use a gear calculator to compare your current gearing to just about any combo imaginable.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    Your commute runs on rail trails? You dog!
    Recalculating....

No-Brakes Cougar
    That would probably be more than sufficient gearing. The only thing to keep in mind is whether your old rear hub is compatible with a newer 9-speed cassette (which it likely isn't) then there's your derailleur, etc.... Maybe consider a 1x7 or even a 2x7 set-up?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    I'm actually going to go with new wheels and hubs, as well as new rear derailleur so hopefully all will be good.

When I get the bike in the shop, the first question I'm going to ask is, what can stay, what must go, what are my options...1X9, 1x7, 2x7 etc.

Should be fun.

I don't intend to spend a lot, won't be something to ooh and aah over, but should be fun nonetheless.

Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    That would probably be more than sufficient gearing. The only thing to keep in mind is whether your old rear hub is compatible with a newer 9-speed cassette (which it likely isn't) then there's your derailleur, etc.... Maybe consider a 1x7 or even a 2x7 set-up?

Ovaries on the Outside
    For commuting, I'm not a huge fan of gears. Saying that, my current commuter is a 1x4. Sora rear, dura ace friction shifter converted to flat bar shifter with Paul's component.

One is all you need. Four more than suffices.

enjoys skidding
    I ride what sounds like a very similar commute on my 29er with skinny tires (37c's.. probably makes it a 28er).

I use a 32/14T ratio. It's probably a bit overgeared so you might be better off with a 15T or if you're a bit weak in the knees and in no rush maybe try a 16T.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by iKona40
    I'm actually going to go with new wheels and hubs, as well as new rear derailleur so hopefully all will be good.

When I get the bike in the shop, the first question I'm going to ask is, what can stay, what must go, what are my options...1X9, 1x7, 2x7 etc.

Should be fun.

I don't intend to spend a lot, won't be something to ooh and aah over, but should be fun nonetheless.

Don't forget a new shifter, too. Sounds like you might be spending more than you're anticipating.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iKona40

Should be fun.

Old MTB means 26 inch wheels trains and paved paths mean flat, I would go 48 teeth on the front.

mtbr member
    Ain't that always the way...

Bedwards Of The West
    We have a 'rail trail' near me, and I have taken my cyclocross commuter on it a few times. Biggest grade is something like 2% it's not paved, but well maintained dirt/gravel... I have a road double crankset up front, but no front D...I'm always on the big ring (50 tooth), and a mtb 8 speed out back. I haven't wished for more or less with that set-up. I think you'll spin out your highest gear if you go less than 48 or so up front.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Members who have read this thread: 0