Best Earphones to use While Riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Earphones to use While Riding

Just thought I'd post on here to see what everyone might be using for ear phones while riding/commuting...I'm using a ipod shuffle and want something different then those stupid white ear buds that kill your ears cause you have to stuff them in there......
    I will poop on you and your bike

mtbr member
    none.

riding in traffic while functionally deaf just seems dumb to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    none.

How'd I know there would for sure be someone like you to respond first and how dumb it is to ride with ear phones. Well sorrrrrryyyyyyy....get a life, I only wear one ear bud in on ear as of now and hardly ever listen to the gaypod anyway, so EASE!!!!

and if anyone else actually has some good recommendations, then by all means, but if you have nothing more to say then the likes of Joules, don't waste my time....relax people!
    I will poop on you and your bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm with joules

If you have to have some and don't mind forking out some cash.... SuperFi 5.Pros are hard to beat!
    '08 Fisher Marlin
    Heavy Rider mod

mtbr member
    I use cheap earbuds because they get damaged frequently in the course of commuting. I also feel like the earbuds better protect my ears from the deafening roar of 18 wheelers, off road truck tires, Harley's with straight pipes, Civics with coffee can mufflers and the thundering 18 inch woofers.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I use the around the neck ones and keep them around my neck and off my ears. I usually don't use them just because it's a hassle and I'm not much for music in general.

Bikeoholic
    concening the law, in some states / cities it is illegal to wear them period, in some it is ok to only have 1 in. So, now that i've said that.
    I wear a Sennheiser MX 75 in one ear. If you can get past the green color, they stay in Awesome without having to jam them in.

Be careful though, even with just 1 earphone in, if it is legal, it is possible to still be found negligent if you get in an accident.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

Apr 2008
    i use the Sony MDR-J10 headphones
    theyre cheap, about less than $15
    and they still let you hear what's going on around you

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat
    I use the KOSS ear buds. Cheep and block out all the wind noise. I use my phone as my mp3 player. That way I don't have to carry any thing extra other than the buds. Oh and I put the buds in when I get to the path! (NO CARS ON THE PATH). GEESH
    The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Check out BOSE noise cancelling headphones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's illegal here in FL to have any earphone on a bicycle.
    One of my pet peeves is joggers with phones on both ears who can't hear the warning (bell, voice, etc.) I'm reqiured to give them when approaching. Then get pissed when I pass them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I only use a single ear piece while riding but I do use one. I found that the JVC Marshmallow is about the most comfortable for me. It fits into the ear like most ear buds however it is softer and longer then a normal ear bud and fits snugly into the ear much like a foam ear plug would do. It does not fall out, shake, vibrate, or otherwise annoy me like the others have.

mtbr member
    Don't mean to hog your topic, but along this same line, has anyone ever seen a bluetooth or otherwise wireless headphone/mp3 setup? I ride with a buddy a few times a week and thought it would be cool if we could just run with one MP3 player and both be able to listen to the same playlist. It would also be nice for my commutes so I didn't have to deal with my headphone cord getting tangled up in my gear.

dosnt chng titls...o wait
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    none.

then go ride on a mountain
    tubes hate me

dosnt chng titls...o wait
    Jul 2007
    woah i never thought of having two peole listnen to the same thing, but there are wireless headphones out there. but they are expensive, like 100 +
    tubes hate me

ADIDAB
    Sennheiser MX-460 earbuds for me attached to an iRiver T10.

I have them at a level where I can still hear the music but also hear approaching traffic. I've been doing it for some time so have worked out the happy medium...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    I really like the information on this site but haven't gotten around to purchasing from them.
    http://www.headphone.com/ I called them once asking about noise attenuating headphones but none have any attenuation rating. Otherwise, they would be really nice to wear in the shop. The ear canal sealed phones are the best for sound but would be the least safe outdoors.

Open air type headphones will be better because they let in the needed ambient sounds (aka the sound of the offroad tires on the beatup dodge pickup warning you that the guy is going to hang out the door yelling profanity, swerving and throw garbage at you)
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelzHater
    How'd I know there would for sure be someone like you to respond first and how dumb it is to ride with ear phones. Well sorrrrrryyyyyyy....get a life, I only wear one ear bud in on ear as of now and hardly ever listen to the gaypod anyway, so EASE!!!!

and if anyone else actually has some good recommendations, then by all means, but if you have nothing more to say then the likes of Joules, don't waste my time....relax people!
    Slipstreamz.

But Joules is right. Anything that makes you less aware of your surroundings is not smary- commuting is dangerous enough with both ears open.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bikerfish, my sons sony phone has a built in mp3 and it is blue tooth compatiable, i have never tried it but don't know why it wouldn't work

poser Administrator
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/9b1e/

These are very interesting. Conduct sound through bone conduction so your auditory canal is still open to hear surrounding sounds. I would love to try these but I have no interest in riding with headphones anyway but running they would be interesting to try.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    May 2005
    bluetooth stereo headphone is good in theory, but they are pretty damn bulky. i have a pair of Sennheiser CX300 and they work great. and if you listen to music at reasonable level you can definitely hear traffic, people talking to you on bike paths, dogs barking, trees rustling, etc. no need to turn it up to 11.

Jul 2007
    I use a set of sony earphones that look like this:

I hear nothing but music on my commute. I wear both headphones and crank my music. I can still hear honks and emergency vehicles but I find the lack of wind noise and general road noise nice with this model headphone. Wind noise and general road noise is very fatiguing to me and these headphones were a huge improvement over open-ear models I've tried in the past.

(obligatory response to all the ipod nazis)
    I don't care what people say, you don't need your ears to be safe, just common sense. I wouldn't be able to hear the difference between a car coming up to hit me from behind as opposed to a car coming up to just pass me. I wouldn't be able to hear if it's safe to enter an intersection or safe to change my line while riding in traffic.

My little brother is deaf and manages just fine riding his bike everywhere. Maybe I should go tell him he's a retard for riding without his hearing. You can adapt yourself to ride without relying on hearing. You just have to be extra cautious and visually confirm everything before you do it, which you should do anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0