Best Commuter/City Bike Seat- Mtbr.com
    KulAdventures

Best Commuter/City Bike Seat

Looking for a new seat for my city bike (14 Raleigh roper). Had a WTB Pure V on most of my mountain bike, but that does start to hurt after hours of riding. What kind of seats do you guys you, for those who rider over 2+ hours a day?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a Selle Anotomica on one bike, and a Brooks on the other. I worry less about the Selle in the rain, but the Brooks fits me a little better. Both are great saddles once broken in.

You mention two hours in the saddle, is this additive in shorter increments or all in one go? Do you ride in your work clothes, or in bike shorts?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    Looking for a new seat for my city bike (14 Raleigh roper). Had a WTB Pure V on most of my mountain bike, but that does start to hurt after hours of riding. What kind of seats do you guys you, for those who rider over 2+ hours a day?
    I use a specialized saddle I have had 3 since 2005...

They were different models but all had very little padding and a completely synthetic water proof skin...

The first Oem hurt bad so I went to a wider specialized with the butt crack worked great...bought a narrower lighter saddle for some races....to narrow hurt so I still have it unused....wore out the firs specialized....bought anouther same width...

wore it out....

I bought a another one 156 mm even wider....I like it a lot better...the guy at the bike shop said that he just got back from a specialized bike fitting course....they said you should pick a saddle one size wider than you measure...seems to improve bike fitting.....

This was a recent change like just lasst summer.

Can't imagine worrying if my saddle gets wet.

since 4/10/2009
    I can't tell someone else what bike seat is the best at anything.

It's a fit component. It takes some trial and error to find what fits for you. Find a saddle demo program.

KulAdventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    I have a Selle Anotomica on one bike, and a Brooks on the other. I worry less about the Selle in the rain, but the Brooks fits me a little better. Both are great saddles once broken in.

You mention two hours in the saddle, is this additive in shorter increments or all in one go? Do you ride in your work clothes, or in bike shorts?
    usually 30-45 mins in one go and then incremental. However sometimes its up to 2+ hours in one go.

Usually bike shorts/pants

KulAdventures
    How do you measure for a seat?

KulAdventures
    I have to start somewhere... I am looking at something like this (padded, but not huge):

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How do you measure for a seat?
    Most bike shops have a foam pad you sit on for a minute....then you can see where you sit bones are when you stand up.....just measure the width center to center...

Most guys are somewhere near to 146mm so they used to recommend a 146 mm saddle....now they recommend a 152 mm width.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have to start somewhere... I am looking at something like this (padded, but not huge):

6.5 inches wide is 165.1 mm wide That is probably overall width not sit bone width.

Looks good but way too much padding for me.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Go to a shop that sells Specialized and use the ass-o-meter. Every store has one. It will measure you and recommend a size. At that point you will have 3-4 choices based on riding style, realistically 2 to choose from.

I have a Romin Gel on my roadie and do 75mi rides with no discomfort. It was an eye opener after trial and error on a few other saddles. There are models with a similar profile but more padding for off road (Avatar or Phoenom?)

jrm
    mtbr member
    I use a charge spoon saddle. Nice cheap saddle that i wont miss if someone rips it..

mtbr member
    ^ I think you would sorely miss it having just the seat post or frame to sit on. Its absence would make itself known. But yes, some saddles will not be as sorely missed as others.

mtbr member
    Part of the problem is thinking of it as a seat and not a saddle. A seat is for sitting, a saddle for riding.

Width of a saddle is important, but no less so than correct alignment: fore and aft on the seat post, angle of the saddle, and distance from the top of saddle to center line of the pedals at lowest crank position. A new saddle may not solve your problem is the other factors are incorrect for your body/riding position.

Personally, my sit bones are narrow, so I like longer, narrower, thinly padded saddles.

Padding plays a small role in comfort over long distances or time periods. Most saddle discomfort is from too much friction at the contact points and unnecessary friction and pressure from sitting on a saddle and not riding in it.

This situation is analogous to riding a horse. When using a saddle the legs bear much of the weight of the rider allowing the rider to remain dynamic in the saddle. That is, constantly moving and shifting positions with the terrain, road surface, or gait of an animal.

Good luck. The solution comes only from experience and experimentation. Make small adjustments (0.5cm - 1.0 cm) to one variable at a time and go for a ride. Make other adjustments and see if those work. If all else fails start looking at new saddles.

One other thing: chamois cream is a wonderful thing. I make my own using shea butter, olive oil, and essential oils as anti-bacterials and anti-fungals. Use a little, use a lot; feel the friction reduction.

I learned my tricks from Eugene Sloane's "The Complete Book of Bicycling," the venerable Sheldon Brown, and several years in the industry trying to keep money in people's pockets. I didn't get the label "Premium Dirtbag" for nothing.

mtbr member
    Brooks B-17. I regularly take 6 hour+ rides and don't even know its there. I've got the Brooks Cambium on my mountain bike and do 4+ hour rides with it regularly, and again, I don't even know its there. That to me is the mark of a good saddle.
    I ride slow but I never ride back

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I use a specialized saddle I have had 3 since 2005...
    Have to agree, the big S knows saddles. I own no Specialized bikes but 4 of their saddles. [Woman here, but if they bothered to get it right for us... you will probably do alright.]

mtbr member
    Brooks only here. They are not for everybody and rain protection for the leather ones will be an issue for some. I had a B15 for 45+ years. I let it dry out too much and that did it in. A B17 is on the errand bike and a Professional is on The Duchess. However, I have never ridden anything else long enough to compare. They now have an Italian made non-leather saddle line, the Cambium, which would tolerate rain better and is wider, but at $140-$170 is pricier than the cheap B17 $104 but less that the top of the line one- $265 with titanium rails. The leather Brooks saddles have a break-in as they mold to your butt. They are loved by some and hated by others. They are a theft issue, too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd normally say Brooks B17, but now with the weather-impervious Cambium, that is probably the best thing going. They have the C15 and C17, so there is some different sizing options available, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.