Best Cheap Road Bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Cheap Road Bars

I haven't been getting much response from them roadies over at roadbikereview so I though I would bring my question here. . .

Need new wider (42 -44) drop handlebars for and old road bike I am using for commuting.

Don't feel like paying for Carbon so what do you'all think the best cheap set of bars is out there.

Thanks!!!
    "The only way to see this, is to come out here and see it."

weirdo
    Bars are like saddles- it`s such an individual thing that there ain`t no way to say what`s best. Try test riding completes at the LBS that have different kinds of bars to get some ideas or see if you can get a few cheap take-offs or used bars to try out without a big investment. Also note that, as with saddles, exact positioning can make a big difference, so play around with that. For me the exact stem height and length aren`t really sticky, but the rotation is, and so is the brake lever placement.
    Recalculating....

Bedwards Of The West
    I have the nashbar oversize road bar...31.8 clamp, super stiff, no complaints...15 bucks.

link: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_175342_-1___
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I hear you.

a lot of options out there. I was just thinking the standard all around comfort road bike bars that you might find on the run of the mill $1000 bike. I can tweak the fit and all that when I get to riding them. Thanks!

More than a little slow
    OnOne Midge or Salsa Woodchipper, but I like that sort of bar
    Cheers, Dave

weirdo
    At least check out some "dirt drop" types, some of those compact triangular cyclocross bars, some more traditional round profile. You might also be able to dig up some of the new "wing" topped bars that a lot of full on roadies go for or some super flared, round profile bars like the Nitto Randos. I`m not just talking about little nuances, but BIG differences in the bar shape. The main thing is don`t shell out a lot for any particular bar unless you`ve tried it and don`t lose hope because ONE bar doesn`t agree with you. Do you have one of those bike junk yards near you? A few roadie buddies with different bikes? A big, well stocked LBS?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help. I'll take a swing by the LBS and try and few for feel and peep out them Nashbar deals. I just ordered a whole Microshift Drivetrain from them including rebranded KMC chain and it is as good as Ultegra / 105 and cheap as f$ck.

Spend a killing on Mtb parts and am trying to keep this new road bike thing at bay before the woman leaves me. Thank god the UPS guy comes when she is still at work.

I got nothin'
    I bought these for my budget road bike build. 42's for $18.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/195...lebar-26.0.htm
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Fat-tired Roadie
    My favorite road bars are compact bend. They're all pretty expensive right now, I think, but Bontrager makes some that come on Trek bikes. They're called "Variable Radius" in that brand, and you might find some as a new bike takeoff.

If there weren't compact bars, I'd be on traditional ones. Plenty of those kicking around used shops or online for cheap - sounds like others have already posted some links. Nittos are nice and not too expensive.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have dirt drops, but I'd take any bar that has some flare and a shallow drop. I think Nittos line up is pretty strong, personally....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Dimension has some 25.4 bars that I like. Cheap and they fit my classic quill.

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I dropped into my LBS and they had a 44cm cheapo KORE bar that I think will do the trick perfectly. Looks to be along the lines of the pricepoint and dimension style bars. I hope to h#ll I don't get sucked into the buying pimped out road bike stuff, the debt will never end. Take care!

Members who have read this thread: 0