mtbr member

Best Bike Light Concept

GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Ex-Clydesdale
    There's a thread about this over on CPF:
    New bike light on kickstarter-Barry Beams
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Bedwards Of The West
    What will they cost? And they claim 500 charges on a battery... how easily replaceable is the battery, and how much will they cost?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    There's a thread about this over on CPF:
    New bike light on kickstarter-Barry Beams
    Thanks for that.

The DIY lighting section here on mtbr is so interesting to follow - but everyone has the same LED and battery tech to play around with. I figured it would be tough for anyone to come up with something that's truly "revolutionary" and the cpf thread seems to back that up.

It might be a good light, but it really needs some side-by-side comparisons to the other lights out there like the magicshines and whatnot. That's got to be the talkiest and least flashy kickstarter video I've ever seen, though.

mtbr member
    I like my DIYs which cost me $150 though heavier. I get more even coverage, nice side lighting, and much longer run time. Decent for the money, but I'd like to see some comparison shots such as versus the Phillips..

BrianMc

Ex-Clydesdale
    What I didn't like is that it looks like the LED is still shot through a lens, which is going to cause glare for oncoming traffic. My understanding is that a reflector setup is required in order to "hide" the LED from being seen directly, a la the Philips SafeRide.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    The beam shot says most of the light is hitting the street. You do want the oncoming to see something or you will appear to have no light at all. You are thinking the normal circular output lens with significant spill. Asymmetric lenses have very sharp cutoffs. I use them in my helmet light and let some light escape the light tube and lens to light up an amber ring for side visibility as the triple asymmetric lenses place 99& of output into three overlapping rectangles. That 1% that is not can be seen by oncoming drivers, I have two very narrow beam lenses (large 35 mm) in my main lights with amber snoots on them to grab the side spill and make it light up the amber snoot. The result is tame lights. They see me but I don't blind them.

Looking at the video, even though the camera drops the lower output light, it dies not appear that much light is not hitting the pavement,

BrianMc

Members who have read this thread: 0