Below Average?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Have you lost 13 pounds in your first year of bikecommuting?

Thread: Below Average?

Moderator Moderator

Below Average?

This graphic says the average person will lose 13 lbs in their first year riding to work. How do your results compare? I am below average although a coworker assured me this is due to my massive increase in muscles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Below Average?-belowavg.jpg  

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Not exactly. I was riding my bike to/from my first after school job back in 1986 since I didnít have my drivers license at the time. I was always a skinny kid however, so I did not lose weight. They are basing the graphic on the average out of shape and overweight American I think.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    No.
    But I've been cycling to school and later work for my whole life and I have never been fat anyway.

I am a big fan of any initiative to promote bike commuting though. In my job as a physiotherapist I really see how regular exercise (like bike commuting) can make people so much healthier.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    No, I've always had pretty low body fat. At my heaviest, about 4 months ago, I was 177. I did lose about 12lbs since then, but it's because I am eating healthier. Last year was my first year of commuting by bike and my weight didn't change much.

CB of the East
    I voted yes but I'm not exactly sure of the time table. When I really started riding again about 2 years ago I dropped from the 180s to the 160s in about 2 years. Now I'm hovering around 170 because I eat too many cookies. I've got to try to kick that habit again.

In fact, I've got about 1 month before a century ride. I'll see how much I can drop before then. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Not exactly. I was riding my bike to/from my first after school job back in 1986 since I didnít have my drivers license at the time. I was always a skinny kid however, so I did not lose weight. They are basing the graphic on the average out of shape and overweight dipsh°t American I think.
    I didn't in 1972. In 2008, they repaved the moon crater road I live on, and I saw the Mexicans not being killed riding in local traffic, so took up riding and I dropped 50 pounds even with the increase in muscle mass. So I resembled that remark. So I averaged out 3 who lost no weight. So the stat is believable, especially if the pool is the under exercised.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Well, March 2011 I weighed in @320#'s, quit smoking cold turkey and started riding for recreation. around August 2011 started bike commuting. April 2012 weighed in @230#'s, still haven't touched a cigarette and gained back 5#'s this month. I think it more depends on where you start, since the farther down you are the higher you can climb.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    This is my eighth week bike commuting and I have lost 10 pounds.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

since 4/10/2009
    I'll say "sort of" but I voted yes. When I first started biking, I was lean and had no weight to lose.

However, after chemotherapy, I was at my max weight, somewhere around 190lbs. The first exercise I could do was ride my bike, so I started bike commuting. After a few months, my balance and coordination were good enough to start on the mtb trails. A couple months later, I began a running program and hired a personal trainer to get my strength back up. I dropped 20lbs in less than a year, but that weight didn't start melting off until I started running, lifting, and doing yoga. Grad school has me too busy to ride, run, AND lift. So I maintain my weight by bike commuting and eating as well as I can. I want to drop another 10 or so once I finish up (my goal weight is 160), so I'll start running and lifting again (and the occasional yoga class) once I have that extra time.

mtbr member
    I voted more than 10lbs, less than a year. This year has been the most frequent bike commuting I've done since college.

I lost 10-15lbs right off the bat then plateaued for a while as I was gaining muscle at the same rate as losing weight (overall weight stayed the same). I've been able to keep the weight off and am still getting stronger/skinnier so I havent been watching the scales as much recently.

How far is your commute? If it's short you might not realize the gains that some of us with longer commutes see.

Bedwards Of The West
    I lost 15 or so the first year. But "year" to me is the school year, so not a full calendar year.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I've never had 13 pounds to lose, so no. In the years since, I might have gained some weight, but this is from working out more.

Short-Change-Hero
    Started doing it consistently in Feb of this year at which point I was fluctuating around 190ish#, after being really sick from my wisdoms being pulled I have been down to 175ish for the last month. However, in there I have added some increased intensity with mtb racing and the addition of doubling my mileage to work (going from 6 to 12 miles a day).

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nope.

I started commuting on and off when I was in high school, and more regularly in college. Concurrent with bike commuting, I actually gained weight. To be fair, I was growing, eating a ton, developing an interest in other sports, and lifting weights.

When I started commuting by bike again after a layoff of a few years, I was actually a bit skinnier than my weight at the end of college. So, no weight loss then.

I actually do have 13 lb to lose now, but I was riding a fair amount while I gained it - just snuck up on me with age, I think. It's nice to think that resuming my bike commute in the Fall could get rid of the weight, but I think I just need to keep watching my portion sizes for the rest of my life. Hopefully sixty or seventy more years.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

jrm
    mtbr member

Oops

im not average.

since 4/10/2009
    Just weighed myself this morning...just over 188lbs, so I've been putting weight back on.

Surprised me, because my gut, if anything is smaller than it has been for some time. It appears I've been building muscle without being aware of it. Body fat % is about 15, so not bad in that department (my scale says it's in the healthy range, even though my BMI is well into the overweight category). It appears that most of my body fat is visceral fat, though. Makes sense, since I developed a bit of a gut while going through chemotherapy being unable to exercise at all. I want to get rid of that, for sure. Whatever my weight ends up being when I've shaved down the gut will be good by me.

But that's got me thinking that 160 is probably too low for a goal weight for me. I am probably going to continue building muscle, so my weight might well increase a little more. My upper body is still weaker than it was before I got sick.

It's a bit of a surprise because at only 5'8, I'd expect a healthy 10-15% body fat to be associated with a lower weight.

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    I'm 5'8". We could have vastly different frames, I don't know. But 145 lb is a great weight for me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    ^^^
    I'm 5'8". We could have vastly different frames, I don't know. But 145 lb is a great weight for me.
    Agreed... I am 6' and 176.6 as of this morning, conversely my brother is 5'9" and probably 120 soaking wet.
    Here is a comparison shot just for $%^&s and giggles.. (note: I was about 190 at this time which was Oct of last year)

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Bicycle Radical
    I am 175 cm (5'9") and 85 kg (187 lbs) but haven't lost any real weight since starting riding/commuting again so I guess I am below average. According to my doctor, I am in fine health so I don't worry.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

Members who have read this thread: 0