• 11-14-2011
    shekky
    bay area riders--how does one ride into alameda?
    i thought this might be the best place to post this topic...

my company is moving to alameda from san francisco at the beginning of 2012. i have been scouring the internets for information on the best way to get from san francisco into alameda by bike but have found NOTHING on how to ride into alameda once i leave the lake merrit BART station.

when i was driving a company vehicle on the island today, i saw a cyclist heading eastbound through the posey tunnel but don't see how one would ride westbound through said tunnel. i know that the webster tunnel is closed to cyclists as well.

is there a way to ride into alameda that is close to the lake merrit BART or am i stuck using the hourly BART/alameda "estuary shuttle".

your help is greatly appreciated!

--MB
  • 11-14-2011
    Berkeley Mike
    If you take BART to Fruitvale you can cross on the Fruitvale Bridge. Google Alameda California to see the route.

I know nothing about the tunnels.
  • 11-16-2011
    ranier
    There's a nice ped/bike bridge to the south parallel to Doolittle but it's kinda out of your way from Lake Merrit.
  • 11-16-2011
    CommuterBoy
    One does not simply RIDE into ALAMEDA

:lol:
  • 11-16-2011
    CycleAddict
    I just moved away from Alameda. Great little city that's pretty bike friendly. I lived there for almost ten years.

Your best bet is to take BART to Fruitvale and then head down Fruitvale towards Alameda. You will need to cross the Fruitvale bridge. There is a bike lane going down Fruitvale (in Oakland) but it disappears once going over the bridge into Alameda. The Bike lane doesn't reappear until you cross Blanding Ave once you are in Alameda. I'm assuming your office is over on the West Side near the tube. There are quite a few routes you could take to make your way down there, but Central Ave. has a bike lane pretty much the entire way. I could give you a more detailed route if you like, because Central doesn't go into the Business parks over near the Tube. Do not ride through the tube! Let me know if you want any additional info. I miss Alameda!
  • 11-16-2011
    jrm
    Thinking of moving myself
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    I just moved away from Alameda. Great little city that's pretty bike friendly. I lived there for almost ten years.

Your best bet is to take BART to Fruitvale and then head down Fruitvale towards Alameda. You will need to cross the Fruitvale bridge. There is a bike lane going down Fruitvale (in Oakland) but it disappears once going over the bridge into Alameda. The Bike lane doesn't reappear until you cross Blanding Ave once you are in Alameda. I'm assuming your office is over on the West Side near the tube. There are quite a few routes you could take to make your way down there, but Central Ave. has a bike lane pretty much the entire way. I could give you a more detailed route if you like, because Central doesn't go into the Business parks over near the Tube. Do not ride through the tube! Let me know if you want any additional info. I miss Alameda!

Closer to a trailhead
  • 11-16-2011
    shekky
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post

going to west tower avenue.
  • 11-17-2011
    jrm
    west tower avenue.
    BART to lake merritt, take free shuttle to College of Alameda. Ride west on Ralph Alpezzado towards the naval base turns into atlantic ave. continue to ferry ave and make a right then towers your next cross street. or ride to the posey tube from lake merritt. emerge from the tube and go around the back side of the portel building and go left on marina village pkwy then make a right on willie stargell, cross over main st turns to midway. make a left on ferry right on tower.

AC Transit east bound "O" or "X" to the corner of Ralph Alpeezado and webster. Then follow the directions above. The Alameda/Oakland ferry terminal is about 4 blocks away from tower ave.

So dems your options..
  • 11-17-2011
    CycleAddict
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Closer to a trailhead

Wish I could say I moved closer to a trailhead. The ride through Oakland seemed like a pain when I was living in Alameda, but now it doesn't sound all too bad! Now it's a 16 mile car ride to and from the nearest trailhead. The East Coast does have some awesome trails though...
  • 11-17-2011
    shekky
    never mind. i am not moving with the company. i don't really need to know how to do this now.
  • 11-19-2011
    nexusix
    ....there's also the park st bridge which wouldn't be so far of a trek from lake merritt bart. there's nice riding on the side streets though some oldey time industrial maritime neighborhoods.
  • 11-20-2011
    shekky
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nexusix View Post
    ....there's also the park st bridge which wouldn't be so far of a trek from lake merritt bart. there's nice riding on the side streets though some oldey time industrial maritime neighborhoods.

i don't need to ride into alameda any more. read my previous post, right above yours. i won't have a job in january; a least not for my current employer.