Bar mitt extreme cold- Mtbr.com
    Human Test Subject

Bar mitt extreme cold

Has anyone tried these, specifically in drop bar flavor?

I used the regular neoprene ones a few years ago and they are absolutely terrible. These "extreme cold" ones are fleece lined but still have a neoprene outer so I don't anticipate them being much better. They're one of only two mass produced drop bar pogies though.

Also, I live in Minneapolis and only really need them when it's too cold for my Pearl Izumi super amfib gloves, so like under 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Yeah!
    The neoprene used for these things isn't thick enough to keep anything particularly warm. The main use for neoprene in cycling gear is water/wind blocking. While it does improve heat retention, it's not nearly enough for truly cold temps.

To retain warmth, you need to trap a lot of air.

The Bar Mitts Extreme Cold series adds fleece, which is an improvement over not having fleece, but not by much.

How large are your hands? I have a pair of size 2x Burton ski mitts that work well with a pair of thick fleece gloves under them at those temps. I can even get my PI Pro's in them for... who knows? Haven't hit those temps yet.

Unfortunately, you are not going to find anything that is truly insulated for drop bars. Areas that support those kind of temps tend to not be inclusive to the skinny tire crowd due to snow, so there's no market for good drop-bar pogies.

I suggest doing what we did before decent flat bar pogies became available: make your own. Old winter jackets can be repurposed, or you can purchase insulated fabric and make your own.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Human Test Subject
    I'm between a L and XL glove usually.

I have some Revelate Design Jones bar pogies (also terrible) on my fat bike but I'm having knee issues and can't ride it right now. This year is weird because it's like -10F but no snow.

I got my wife a nice sewing machine for her birthday. I may highjack it.

CB of the East
    That's the first I have heard of Bar Mitts not being warm enough. I have a pair of the Bar Mitt brand ones for flat bars and they have almost always been more than enough to keep my hands warm and I usually suffer from cold hands without them. I put them on yesterday for a commute at -15F. I intentionally undersized my gloves and my hands were chilly to start but ended up fine. Maybe it's because road bikes are just faster and you get a lot more convective cooling.

Human Test Subject
    My problem with regular Bar Mitts is that since they're neoprene they don't breathe at all. My hands got sweaty then cold and clammy.

I miss my Dogwoods.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    That's the first I have heard of Bar Mitts not being warm enough. I have a pair of the Bar Mitt brand ones for flat bars and they have almost always been more than enough to keep my hands warm and I usually suffer from cold hands without them. I put them on yesterday for a commute at -15F. I intentionally undersized my gloves and my hands were chilly to start but ended up fine. Maybe it's because road bikes are just faster and you get a lot more convective cooling.
    Same here. Best $55 I've ever spent for warmth. I'm getting a pair for my road bike also.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I have them for my fat bike and road bike.

Never have a problem getting cold. Hands clammy after a ride ya. I wear thinner soft shell gloves so that helps. Having gloves that wick and breath matters. I have noticed my road bike has more issues with it than my fat bike. Design issue, there is no "intake" for air to come through. Straight bars everything straps out front and you can leave some space for air to get in and create flow through

Drop bar versions are all sealed except where your hands go in.

As said the point of pogies is to keep wind and water out.

As Flaming said, drop bar skinny and real cold are a very niche market.

One option is something that absorbs moisture from the air around it stuffed down in the bottom of the bar mitts. Those little silicone packets come to mind.

Or can use a sharp hole punch and make a couple holes near the front to let air in. Expensive experiment though lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Its gotta be the wind.

My hands are fine in bar-mitts at -20C riding slow in the snow on the MTB, but on my road bike in the late fall they were often cold at barely freezing moving at road bike speed. And the road bike mitts are way thicker.

I ended up clipping the top and bottom of the road bike bar-mitt cuff shut, since the opening was way bigger than I needed to get my hands in. Much better.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration