Is this a bait bike?- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Is this a bait bike?

since 4/10/2009
    I am sure Indy is going to see a bump in bike thefts within the next few years as it pushes to be more bike friendly, too.

The local advocacy group has created a bike registry to help with theft recovery, but so far there have been few efforts to prevent bike thefts.

There ARE bikes getting recovered. I know of a handful. A few from the new bike registry directly. A few from the police. In fact, two customers at my shop have bought bikes because their old ones were stolen within the past few months and they had little hope of recovery. Except both of their bikes were recovered by police. So recovery is happening here, at least.

If bait bikes do reduce theft attempts over time, it's probably a good idea for police depts seeing a lot of bike theft to try it.

mtbr member
    My city has had a rash of high value thefts from garages, bike shops, and lock cutting with sophisticated tools. So my city started just baiting with unlocked crappy bikes out in the homeless shelter district.

Threw some homeless people in jail for minor theft and applauded themselves for doing something about it.

That is not going to deter the real bike thieves and was just preying on the down and out taking part in a crime of opportunity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    My city has had a rash of high value thefts from garages, bike shops, and lock cutting with sophisticated tools. So my city started just baiting with unlocked crappy bikes out in the homeless shelter district.
    This seems to be Germany's problem, too. Gangs break into bike shops and clean them out, and the police find... nothing. When my $700 bike was stolen last summer, the police were totally apathetic. My solution: A massive ABUS U-lock.

The university where I work has set out a "bait bike." It's such a nice Surly with such a cheap cable lock on it that I was tempted to take it... Really, though, I'm not sure it's a good use of police resources to have 2-3 cops staking out "bait bike" all day.