Bad bike behavior- Mtbr.com
    poser Administrator

Bad bike behavior

As we trend towards more people getting out on bikes because of motors, I have noticed a general uptick in bad behaviors by these people on their bikes. Now I understand a lot of cyclists blow through stop signs and street lights, etc but this is behavior that is bad in regards to other bike and pedestrian commuters.

I would have assumed that having a motor means that you can stop easier for someone because accelerating after stopping would be simple as it requires much less muscle power. I have been behind these bikes when a light goes green and they are definitely more Tesla than diesel VW rabbit in acceleration. However what I am seeing is that with a motor these people are immediately falling into the same syndrome that car drivers fall into, as in "i have motor, I can get home as quickly as my motor will allow me, anything that slows me down is an inconvenience."

I had high hopes that electric motors would help more people become bike commuters, however as I watched a guy barrel through a narrow trail, knocking a runner out of the way and then chasing a pedestrian up a bridge to the point that she stopped and grabbed her camera to film other cyclists hoping to catch, I assume, more being disrespectful and not yielding to pedestrians, I realize that instead of gaining new cyclists we have just added more cars to our trails.

I hope the winter rains will diminish the amount on the paths, before we lose access to these paths in general.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    .......... I realize that instead of gaining new cyclists we have just added more cars to our trails.
    I agree. Been my stance for a while. We're not adding those that romanticize about "cycling". For many it's a means to an end. Traffic sucks and is overcrowded, so let's exploit this other niche until it sucks just as bad, and we'll ride that train for however long it lasts. Your statement essentially should be a billboard for debate over legalized access.

The media, marketing and PR peoples have not or do not recognize this. The industry is selling to the 99%ers with a want, not the 1%ers with a need. This is where I believe it has gone wrong.

Take this advert, by Captain Clickbait, for example Best bike marketing video ever? - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com #itsyouonlyfaster
    Good bit of media. Not what the cycling community needs.
    [/opinion]

mtbr member
    I would tend to agree. One of the weirdest phenomena is the guy that seems take pride in overtaking non-mopeds up hills. As if that is some type of accomplishment.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I would tend to agree. One of the weirdest phenomena is the guy that seems take pride in overtaking non-mopeds up hills. As if that is some type of accomplishment.
    I think this works with all bikes and non bikes. I had this guy pass me on a steep hill here in Seattle and I tend to be slow starter but I build speed as I go. He must have gotten a little tired of hanging on my wheel, though i had passed him on the previous hill section, and decided to pass me. He pulled into the traffic lane and proceeded to start a passing maneuver but didn't have enough in the tank to get by. I slowed and then moved over to let him in next to me. He had made such and effort that I slowed more and pulled in on his wheel. He was gasping and whelping and he climbed and I started to feel bad so I just hung back there instead of passing him. I probably should have passed him because I think he was going to have a coronary or something. Eventually when it flattened out more I went by and he dropped back some.

I am not sure what the right thing to do was. I can take it when a ebike with an old lady and her yoga mat fly by on this hill but I feel like the rest of us cyclists are a band of brothers tackling this large steep narrow hill together and when one seemingly goes for it and fails it is painful.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I read an article written by a guy with that kind of attitude. He patted himself on the back for being "smarter".
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I don't necessarily care about being passed by biker, ebiker, or dirt bike. It's the tool ebiker Johnny come lately that slows to your pace, smirks, than takes off that I don't relate to. We're worlds apart.

Relating to your story, I bet we've all been on both sides of that equation, it happens.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    As we trend towards more people getting out on bikes because of motors, I have noticed a general uptick in bad behaviors by these people on their bikes. Now I understand a lot of cyclists blow through stop signs and street lights, etc but this is behavior that is bad in regards to other bike and pedestrian commuters.

I would have assumed that having a motor means that you can stop easier for someone because accelerating after stopping would be simple as it requires much less muscle power. I have been behind these bikes when a light goes green and they are definitely more Tesla than diesel VW rabbit in acceleration. However what I am seeing is that with a motor these people are immediately falling into the same syndrome that car drivers fall into, as in "i have motor, I can get home as quickly as my motor will allow me, anything that slows me down is an inconvenience."

I had high hopes that electric motors would help more people become bike commuters, however as I watched a guy barrel through a narrow trail, knocking a runner out of the way and then chasing a pedestrian up a bridge to the point that she stopped and grabbed her camera to film other cyclists hoping to catch, I assume, more being disrespectful and not yielding to pedestrians, I realize that instead of gaining new cyclists we have just added more cars to our trails.

I hope the winter rains will diminish the amount on the paths, before we lose access to these paths in general.
    That's discouraging. There aren't enough around here yet to judge the behavior. But I guess we shouldn't be surprised that when you take someone out of a car they don't immediately drop their driving habits and become respectful road and path users.

jrm
    mtbr member

Well..."that" guy

is just a total asshole and we know there's one in every crowd..I dont have a gripe with e-bike as much as i do with the recent wave of completely clueless shared e-scooter riders. Last week on my way to work i came way too close to t-boning some wanker on a lime e scooter. e-bike wise im really tempted to set up one of those cheap chinese wheel motor kits and give it a whirl..