Backpack or Messenger Bags- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Backpack or Messenger Bags

I used both, stuck with a Bailey Works Super Pro messenger bag for about 3 years now. Just ordered a smaller Reload bag to use for everyday use. Wondering what some of you out there are using?

ride the moment
    For messenger bags and backpacks I use Banjo Brothers. They are less expensive and and a higher quality product than the Chrome/Tumbuk2 bags. I have no experience with the Bailey works to compare.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Bedwards Of The West
    North Face Slingshot backpack. Never met a messenger bag I liked. This should be a poll.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    My Osprey Manta 20 backpack arrived about a week ago & I am loving it. It even carried my Chinese takeout safely another 5 miles to a friend's house. Very comfy, adjustable, comes in 2 sizes, bike & hike & rain features.

I got nothin'

Banjo Brothers

I just got the Banjo Brothers medium backpack. It's a very nice pack that is water proof and fits nicely. Seems well thought out and good quality.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Backpack. No contest. Had the same do everything bag for maybe 8 years, Dakine Heli Pro. I only wish they still made them the same.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    They are less expensive and and a higher quality product than the Chrome/Tumbuk2 bags.
    I have owned both Chrome and TB2 bags, and it would have never occurred to me to lump them together like that. They seem as alike as chalk and cheese. I have a good 6 years of near daily use on my current Chrome bag and it is in good shape. My Tb2 bags disintegrated within a year. I have 2 Chrome bags (Kremlin and Citizen) and would buy one again in a heart beat. Do you know when Banjo Bros started making bags? Their design sure is eerily similar to the Chromes.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Messenger bags are a lot more versatile for access (especially while pedaling) and for taking various loads. But they mess up my back, so it is all very sad.

I'm using an Ortlieb and sometimes I wish I had the larger bag.

There is a huge difference between TB2 and Chrome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like the messenger bag for anything light, but anything like books killed my shoulder whenever I rode with them

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Probobaly the best bage I have used. This is a serious commuter bag. I like the fastners at the waist and chest.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/bc3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Love those Ergon bags, I never used them but just the look of it, it looks so comfortable.

My messenger bag how ever have been a life saver. I used it to hold of a Pitbull dog when the owner lost control of the leash. With it's death grip on my messenger bag and doing it's death head swing, i was able to hold of the dog with the bag between me and the Pitbull until the owner got control of the dog. To my amazement, hardly any scratch on the bag.

Another time, on my bike, I fell off my bike on my back and my bag took all 100% of the fall with my helmet of course, and I slid for about 7 feet. Although I smashed my lunch and by drink digging into my back during my 7 feet travel, I was able to dust myself off and continue to ride. I love messenger bags even more. With my bags "battle scars", it helps with starting conversion with so much people.

Messenger bags are not for everyone, it does hurt your shoulder with a load. Thank god for padded shoulder pad, helps a lot. If you type of a person that carry a bad everywhere like me, I highly recommend a messenger bag.

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I have owned both Chrome and TB2 bags, and it would have never occurred to me to lump them together like that. They seem as alike as chalk and cheese. I have a good 6 years of near daily use on my current Chrome bag and it is in good shape. My Tb2 bags disintegrated within a year. I have 2 Chrome bags (Kremlin and Citizen) and would buy one again in a heart beat. Do you know when Banjo Bros started making bags? Their design sure is eerily similar to the Chromes.
    First off I have never owned a Chrome bag. I agree that the Chrome bags seem to be better quality than the Timbuk2. However, when comparing the Chrome bags (that I have seen) to the Banjo Brothers gear, this is what I have noticed.

The Banjo Brothers bags are PVC coated nylon, so basically a reinforced rubber bag. You can set them in a puddle and the inside will be completely dry. The Chrome gear that I have seen has regular cordura (sp?) on the outside with a "waterproof" liner. I have had similar bags in the past, and once the outer fabric becomes soaked it inevitably begins to soak through the liner. Even if the liner works, the outside of the bag is soaked and takes forever to dry. Since I live in western Oregon and commute daily, rain is an issue most of the time.

Chrome makes shoes and shirts etc. and advertises heavily. They distribute the cost of unsold goods and advertising over the products which are sold. Banjo Brothers does not advertise, and they only make simple, quality, functional products. Less overhead = lower cost final product. The Chrome gear is almost double the cost of the Banjo Brothers. For that extra money you get your choice of pretty colors, and an oh-so-fashionable seatbelt buckle on your shoulder strap. The BB gear only comes in black, and it has a regular old carabiner clip on the strap. I would probably choose black anyway, but really I'm a function over form kind of guy and don't see the point in spending an extra $80 even if I did think it "looked cool."

Of course if you have a color coordinated fixie with a brake lever hidden next to the stem you should probably go ahead and buy the Chrome bag... with matching shoes
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Did I catch a niner+?
    I've tried a messenger bag well a messenger type bag and it begins to slide forward while I ride sometimes and I just cannot have this while I am worry about all the teenage drivers on their cellphones, especially the ones who just broke up with their bfs.

For commuting I use a Dakine Apex for now it is 1600cu in and holds pretty much everything, I could squeeze my laptop in there but I want some more padding (looking at Dakine Commuter). It can be a pain if I need something now but the only thing I really need right now are my legs, eyes, and music.

pink
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Damn shame that TB2 quality has gone downhill. I still have my old TB2 and have been using it nearly daily for the last 8 years. (Mostly on my motorcycle). Only problem I have with it now is a couple of holes on the flap where my wife's puppy chewed on it.

I'm thinking about getting a Chrome to replace it.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy
    Damn shame that TB2 quality has gone downhill. I still have my old TB2 and have been using it nearly daily for the last 8 years. (Mostly on my motorcycle). Only problem I have with it now is a couple of holes on the flap where my wife's puppy chewed on it.

I'm thinking about getting a Chrome to replace it.
    I still have my TB2 bag and it's barely holding on likewise. I scored a really good deal on my large Chrome bag and I am thoroughly impressed with the craftmanship and comfort. It's stout and looks good too. I certainly think the Chrome bag would outlast several TB2 bags.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I got nine years out of my last TB2 bag, before tearing a chunk off it yanking on one of the cinch straps. They warrantied it.

While Chrome bags look better-constructed to me, I'm going to keep using a TB2 bag until they stop giving me new ones.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    And that's just it. I've read lots of negative comments about TB2, but mine has lasted 8 years of daily use with me stuffing heavy enginering textbooks, clothes, laptop and lunch in it and either riding my motorcycle or bicycle with it. On business travel it has been my primary carry on bag, again stuffed with laptop, clothes, books and papers, and I have not babied it in the least, and it is still waterproof (tested it this morning on the way to work). And except for puppy teeth, I know that they will warranty it if it ever comes apart. So I have to wonder about how much of those negative reviews stem from TB2 moving part of their production to China, and due to them becoming trendy/popular among non-bikers and being sold in box stores like REI.

I used to go through a bookbag backpack about every other year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    There is a huge difference between TB2 and Chrome.
    I have used bot and would agree. The Chrome is much more comfortable, it is not just about a fancy belt buckle.
    As for the difference between a backpack and messenger bag, for me it depends on the weight of the load and the time of year. In warm summers i can't stand a backpack. For a really heavy load a backpack moves back and forth too much. But for smaller loads in the winter the backpack is more comfortable both on and off the bike.
    Bikewagon - Hop on!

www.bikewagon.com

mtbr member
    North Face Big Shot backpack. Pretty good air channeling on the back padding area to keep my back from getting TOO sweaty. It's OK for a 20 minute ride which is about what my commute comes out to. I feel like the backpack is more stable on the back than a messenger bag. Works pretty good as an overnight hiking bag too.

Members who have read this thread: 0